diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 solar mini split. Grid tied with solar input.

Thomas-918

Hello. I have a ground mount with 4 375w panels. I am wondering where I need to connect the ground as all the topics have mixed messages. The mini split is connected to grid power only right now. EG4 says I need a separate DC ground instead of running the ground(panel frames of panels and mount) to my current grounding system for the power running my 24x40 building.
Building has a sub panel fed by a main panel and meter base 10 feet away outside on the power pole.
Option 1: just run one ground rod at the panel array( heavy clay soil)
Option2: run a ground rod at the array and then attach a 6 gauge wire uninterrupted all the way to my main ground rod below my meter base and main panel right outside the building.
Option 3: same as above but just run the uninterrupted 6 gauge to my sub panel’s grounding bar inside the 24x40 building(which power company had me put a ground rod there)
Option 4: run 6 gauge from panel frames all the way to my subpanel or main panels grounding bar.
(I’ve read a few threads on this forum already using the search function but it seems there is differing opinions.)

You should already have a ground wire at the mini split , from the AC source feeding it.
And you should have a ground wire from the array to the mini split , with the PV wires.
Connect them together at the mini split.

I just installed an EG4 mini split and will do option 2. 45 years in microwave communications has taught me a lot about lightning damage.

Back