diy solar

diy solar

Faulty panel, any help?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3614
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3614

Just found out one of on my panels is not working.

Opened the box on the back of the panel, used the multimeter only to see nothing, no volts yet the other panel of the same make and size at the same time is was putting out 19 volts.

it is under warranty but wondering if there's a simple fix?

A few different things can go wrong with a panel itself and none of which can be owner repaired.
Time to get the warranty card out and get a replacement.

thanks, I think its never worked, when it was wired in with the other panel the amps never went up which was a bit of a puzzle.

only just learnt how to check the panels for power, wish i did that when it first turned up.

When connecting the system up the other day, the first panel was ok and putting out power but after connecting the second panel the power went the wrong way.

the voltage on the display was going from 12 to 22 on a 12-volt system in a matter of seconds.

so now its calling and arguing like mad lol with the people I bought it from.

Not sure, but if its faulty would the mppt flag it up? or just show an odd power range?

In series an open will kill the string.
In parallel the good should hold its own, provided the bad panel diodes are good.

the panels are in parallel, well was down to one now.

Most tech failures in this century will occur as DOA or in the first hours of operation unless it gets killed by enthusiasm (pushed beyond limits).

Most tech failures in this century will occur as DOA or in the first hours of operation unless it gets killed by enthusiasm (pushed beyond limits).
As i said, i think its never worked, when it was connected with the other panel the power (amps never went up) so i think i have been using one panel since September last year even tho i thought there were two workings.

it was connected with a slightly more powerful and bigger 150-watt panel, that bigger panel is 1 amp more in power so i hope that hasn't killed it.

Ohh you can help here to I hope.

the power ratings.

Specification

Peak power: 150 W

Nominal voltage: 17.8V in testing the good panel it was showing 19,1 volts so is that the open VOC i,m seeing?

Maximum power current: 8.4A is this the main power output or the short current of 9.1A?

Open circuit voltage (VOC): 21.6V

Short circuit current: 9.1A

Power allowance range:+/- 3%

Nominal voltage is NOT open circuit.
Maximum power is NOT short circuit current.
Short circuit current is as it states.
Open circuit voltage is as it states.
Nominal voltage: 17.8V in testing the good panel it was showing 19,1 volts so is that the open VOC i,m seeing
Was the panel connected to the SCC?

Then that panel was producing.
One thing to note, if your system is not needing the amps it will depress solar power production. Turn on a couple of 5 amp loads & production will ramp up to meet the new loads.

Back