diy solar

diy solar

Florida Tier I vs Tier II and the EG4 18kpv

doksinc

So forgive me if this has been presented before, I've searched.......
Currently running Canadian Solar 400 watt solar panels in 2 arrays of 12 for total of 9.6kW system, thereby calculated as a Tier I system not requiring the 1m liability policy and interconnect Tier II contract.
Let's say I want to expand system with another 12 panel array adding an additional 4.8kW making system total 14.4kW....now technically I am classified as a Tier II system.
With the ability to set grid output limits with the EG4 18kpv....can I simply set this to 10kW, and with 2 PowerPro batteries being charged for storing my energy. Am I still classified as a Tier I by limiting my grid output?

This expansion is not complete yet, just trying to see since I can make this a setting and the system would simply clip output once batteries were 100% and critical load sub-panel isn't utilizing much energy.

The utilities would not accept limiting by a setting controlled by the homeowner.

I have set my 18kPV to 5k and have had it overshoot that setting many times. So its not always reliable to stay at what you set it at.

Duke will not allow a permitted array size that can exceed your tier limit and / or annual solar generation that exceeds your previous annual usage, so no over sized arrays regardless of the tier you select.

Also if you later choose to add panels, you will need to be very careful of keeping the maximum peak output below the tier you are on, the only sure way to do this would typically entail battery storage. You would schedule batteries to discharge in the early morning and then recharge it during the 10am-2pm window, better known as time-shifting or arbitrage.

Power limit in software of the inverters has delays in reacting to insolation changes ( solar ) and will exceed the hard limits for short bursts. I "know" some systems that currently use this technique which can get more energy per day without triggering an audit of your system but then you have the hard cap on annual generation

we manufacturer lock it, not a homeowner control, and we send a certification to the utility company that it is limited

Duke Energy in Florida does not accept this type of solution, no over sized physical arrays allowed and due to the annual generation caps there isn't a use case ( legally ) to have large arrays. Additionally Duke does not have a tier for connected storage, so currently storage and netmeter tiers are not a legal option.

Back