diy solar

diy solar

G99 application for a Solis hybrid inverter in UK

Can you explain what you mean here... if the inverter is connected to your supply, which is connected to the grid then DNO notification or approval is required, depending on inverter's output power.

Sorry, this is a hybrid thread, I should have stated this would be related to a non-hybrid inverter. I.e. the grid component is only there to feed a battery charger. If there were no transfer switch involved, there would be no physical AC connection possible in the system what-so-ever. From reading, the G98 is an *export* notification. If you cannot export, would you need to notify?

Sorry, maybe I am having a blonde moment, but I still don't understand your question. I looked at your other postings and, in those, you are referring to an 'off-grid' garden room. But, you've already said "Obviously if it's entirely off-grid with no utility connection in any way there's no relevance." so, as you know that, I'm assuming that your main question is _not_ related to an off-grid configuration...

So, going back to your question you are asking:-
As G98 (99,100) notification is for export, if your system is purely connected to the inverter / battery for power output and the inverter is not capable of back-feeding the grid in any way (i.e. no physical connection), are they required? ...
By 'system' do you mean PV panels, or house / garden shed load? But then you've said "a non-hybrid inverter", which to me either implies PV to/from house / garden shed load OR you're talking about an AC coupled battery with no PV ?

If the 'grid-component' is only there to charge the battery, what do you want to do with the battery when it's full?

Sorry, this is a hybrid thread, I should have stated this would be related to a non-hybrid inverter. I.e. the grid component is only there to feed a battery charger. If there were no transfer switch involved, there would be no physical AC connection possible in the system what-so-ever. From reading, the G98 is an *export* notification. If you cannot export, would you need to notify?
Just check on your local dno regs for connecting high power items.

I know a dno has to also approve ev charger installs.

Sorry, maybe I am having a blonde moment, but I still don't understand your question. I looked at your other postings and, in those, you are referring to an 'off-grid' garden room. But, you've already said "Obviously if it's entirely off-grid with no utility connection in any way there's no relevance." so, as you know that, I'm assuming that your main question is _not_ related to an off-grid configuration...

So, going back to your question you are asking:-

By 'system' do you mean PV panels, or house / garden shed load? But then you've said "a non-hybrid inverter", which to me either implies PV to/from house / garden shed load OR you're talking about an AC coupled battery with no PV ?

If the 'grid-component' is only there to charge the battery, what do you want to do with the battery when it's full?

Sorry, I'll try something pictorial! I've been reading through the G98 documents and I'm still not 100% on the terminology. The correct answer is naturally contact the DNO, but I was curious if anyone had experience with this. In-fact I've just done a search on the Type Test Register for EpEver and MPP Solar, and they are not listed at all and I cannot find any reference to G98 for them anywhere. So either it's not a requirement for that type of inverter (not direct grid connected on the AC side) or any system commissioned using these systems is not legal?

G98 even specifies cyber security measures! I'd never thought of this. Fascinating stuff!

So what I meant was,

1664525968806.png
So there is never any connection at the AC level between the inverter and grid, so there is never a possibility to export to the grid. Unlike grid tie systems where the inverter output is directly tied to the grid and inverter output is regulated to meet export limitations.

There are also off-grid hybrid inverters which operate very similarly to the above but with some slight alterations which put the DC power from the AC>DC grid conversion on a high voltage DC bus along with the PV input, this bus is then used for the inverter, charging, etc. Again, it's never AC coupled.

The G98 specs are outlining parameters for connection of devices in parallel with the grid, ie. they *can* export.

Just check on your local dno regs for connecting high power items.

I know a dno has to also approve ev charger installs.

Yes, there are import regulations as well as export. I didn't know some EV's actually have a grid export option so you can use them as a battery for your house! Learning is fun. ;)

Cool, that looks an interesting configuration. I've no idea, but would guess G98 wouldn't apply - but do keep us updated!

Has anyone had success applying for a G99 certificate for a self install or have you all applied saying the installation will be done by a professional?

I applied stating an electrician will be installing (they will be doing all mains related work and some DC), but I haven't got that far yet, everything is taking so long, but getting a closer.

Has anyone had success applying for a G99 certificate for a self install or have you all applied saying the installation will be done by a professional?
I've done it, but i did my 17th Edition cert some years ago so i put the BS number as my qualification. Don't believe you'd need it though, can just put self install on the application.

Thanks, I'm swapping out a Solex 3k inverter and replacing it with a Solis 5k hybrid and battery so it's not a big job.

Thanks, I'm swapping out a Solex 3k inverter and replacing it with a Solis 5k hybrid and battery so it's not a big job.
You need to get approval first, a 3k inverter is notification only, 5k is permission based and dno needs to ok.

Hoping this thread isnt too old for replies as my question seems relevant to this thread rather than starting a new one.

I am hoping to do the G99 application as the fast-track option but there is one section I am not sure we can confirm and therefore might not be able to use the fast track scheme. It states:
A G100 export limitation scheme limits the export to the distribution network to be no more than 16A.

I was looking at using a 6kw hybrid inverted from Solis but when I looked it up on the ena search it stated partially compliant/not applicable.
1682431807237.png

I'm not sure why its N/A and whether that means I cant apply via the fast track scheme. I have tried to email Solis to ask whether its G100 compliant but does anyone know re this?
We would be using 16 JA Solar 395W in 2 strings with the Solis hybrid inverter and likely a 5kw battery. We would need to apply to Scottish and Southern and I've read about long waits so the fast track process might make a big difference.

Thanks

I asked Solis for G100 certificate for 6Kw and they sent me this

Attachments

• G100 RHI-3P(5-10)K-HVES-5G (1).pdf
    892.8 KB · Views: 38
  • G100 S5-EH1P(3-6)K-L.pdf
    767.5 KB · Views: 34
I asked Solis for G100 certificate for 6Kw and they sent me this
Thank you, they sent me the same thing, so fast track application now submitted and fingers crossed it doesnt take too long as the autoresponse still mentioned very long waits.

You don't need a plan at this stage, you've applied for 13kW export, you can alter your kit after approval, you just need to send in a new application with the appropriate details, so long as it doesn't exceed what they approved previously it will be fine. My original application was for two additional inverters, that's now changed to one with a combined output almost equal to what they've approved.
Hi - I'm looking at 2x 6kw Solar arrays, one with battery support. Does anyone have a completed G99 form that has already been approved?

OK folks, I can report on my G99 SGI-1 approval.
It went well, i just filled the form, they requested technical diagram and some info and they approved it and said it can now be commissioned and used. Took a while.
What is interesting, they also said I need to send commissioning documents to one of their emails. Anyone know what commissioning documents consist of? Does anyone have an example?

Back