diy solar

diy solar

Getting batteries/inverters into generator input.

It's hard to know from the product description if the adapter is splitting the inputs into two separate legs of the NEMA L14-30R receptacle. If so, then the other male plug wouldn't be energized.

Connect a 240V load across the two legs of NEMA L14-30R twist-lock. Plug in one plug. Pins of the other plug are now hot.

I built one for work, with two relays so each input line completes circuit of the other. I labeled it "Not a suicide cord". I use it to get 208V from two outlets.

Connect a 240V load across the two legs of NEMA L14-30R twist-lock. Plug in one plug. Pins of the other plug are now hot.

I built one for work, with two relays so each input line completes circuit of the other. I labeled it "Not a suicide cord". I use it to get 208V from two outlets.
Yep, except this adapter is apparently doing the opposite...feeding two 120V inputs to a single (what is usually considered to be a 240V) receptacle. We don't know for sure how this one is wired. If the Y pin is disconnected, then both 120V inputs are feeding the X line at 120V (up to 30A). The diagram and description don't make this clear.

(other than the issue of using two unsynchronized generators)

Be careful with that adapter, it is a "Suicide Cord".
With one male plug connected and a 240V load on the female socket, the second male plug is electrically hot.
So you're saying if one side of the Y is plugged in, the other side would be energized? I'd think just the female one leg would be energized. It shouldn't be able to back-feed from one 120v leg to the other.

So you're saying if one side of the Y is plugged in, the other side would be energized? I'd think just the female one leg would be energized. It shouldn't be able to back-feed from one 120v leg to the other.

Either way, it is a suicide cord.
If two lines paralleled, it always is. If feeding to lines of 240V socket as I would expect, then only when 240V load connected (completes circuit to the other plug).

Any way, I'm beyond that original question now. Looking more at 48v and a proper inverter/charger.

Quite a range available, 24V or 48V. From about $700 to $8000.
A key performance parameter will be surge capability to start any motors you may want to run.
Another is no-load current, can be a big battery drain running all day.
You can read about various brands/models on the forum. And see Will's reviews of some.

Back