diy solar

diy solar

Help in getting started with hybrid/off grid. System design.

An air-cooled, diesel gen at 3000rpm ... looks to be non-inverter-gen type. Interesting, and not what I would've expected out of a diesel genset, but, it is inexpensive. Can't give any advice on this, other than find the manuals & warranty, and read up on it. Can't yet find THD values for it ...

As this seems to be non-inverter type (can't find inverter or THD in the one manual I have found), you might have to place a chargeverter in front of it. Next problem might be availability of an EU (230v specific) version of the chargeverter ... if this isn't available, or the US model isn't compatable with your country's power, then you'll have to research the inverter model long before purchasing a generator, as some AIO's might not like the output of this (or any non-inverter) gen. AIO's tend to want very grid-like power (low-THD) on their AC input ...

To size the gen, you'll have to carefully sum up your shop's (and any other) tool power loads, and size the gen larger than that ... use only 50 to 75% of the power from it for all of your loads, and you'll have "stiff" grid-like power from it.

Hope this helps ...

An air-cooled, diesel gen at 3000rpm ... looks to be non-inverter-gen type. Interesting, and not what I would've expected out of a diesel genset, but, it is inexpensive. Can't give any advice on this, other than find the manuals & warranty, and read up on it. Can't yet find THD values for it ...

As this seems to be non-inverter type (can't find inverter or THD in the one manual I have found), you might have to place a chargeverter in front of it. Next problem might be availability of an EU (230v specific) version of the chargeverter ... if this isn't available, or the US model isn't compatable with your country's power, then you'll have to research the inverter model long before purchasing a generator, as some AIO's might not like the output of this (or any non-inverter) gen. AIO's tend to want very grid-like power (low-THD) on their AC input ...

To size the gen, you'll have to carefully sum up your shop's (and any other) tool power loads, and size the gen larger than that ... use only 50 to 75% of the power from it for all of your loads, and you'll have "stiff" grid-like power from it.

Hope this helps ...
Thanks so much awesome advice 😄

Back