diy solar

diy solar

Help me fix my situation please.

Since lead-acid has a preferred charge rate, I would suggest looking at either Victron charge controller + Cerbo, or Midnight Classic + Whiz Bang Jr. These use a battery shunt to measure battery current and adjust SCC output to keep that at target CV/CC while delivering additional current for loads. Multiple SCC as required to deliver total current demand.

But if your loads are generally < 1000W as you report, just setting SCC for constant 112A (or whatever data sheet indicates) could be good enough, without using shunt to close the loop. A shunt and Ah or SoC reporting device could still be useful.

How large we talking?

10kW of panels, half oriented SE and half SW, could maintain charging for a few hours in good sun. More to make up for seasonal tilt and light clouds/dust obscuring.

That's to maintain desired charge rate.

Now if your average draw is 500W, 12kWh/day, need to produce 1.5x that much.
Check an insolation calculator for your location. I'll assume 2 hours effective sun in the winter.

12kWh/day / 2 hours = 6kW of PV panels. About 8kW (STC) puts out 6kW.
So I'd say 10kW (STC) is a suitable array.

[Edit: I forgot to include 1.5x; make 18 kWh/day, 9kW output from 12kW (STC) of panels for 2 hours. So maybe a bit bigger than 10kW (STC).]

41 kWh of battery and 12 kWh/day gives you 3 days at 87% DoD (something you don't want to do very often!)

I'd say it is all well sized, if you put in sufficient PV and SCC.

Looks like 2x Midnight Classic 150 or 200 would do it (see curves for current vs. battery voltage)

[Edit: And by the way, I'd put some SE and some SW facing strings on each Classic.]

Probably other brands people here can also recommend.

[Edit: You can buy 12kW of panels new for $2400 to $3000, or a bit more depending on brand. Also various top names used presently similar price. It seems like used market doesn't acknowledge the glut of new panels presently being dumped for $0.20 to $0.30/W. Mounting hardware can add up, though - try to DIY with surplus/salvage material.]

Last edited:
And this is why I need to figure a different and efficient way to keep things up. I know we haven't used more than 700 watts. It usually sits at 250 or less, unless fridge kicks on then a surge (compressor kick on), then back around 500 to 700w.
250 watts continuous is 6kwh per day. So battery sizing would give 3 days of power. 6kw of panels would recharge 20kwh with one good day of sun in the summer.

Although we don't have a way to automate it, because your battery is 8s2p it could be possible to alternate between charging one 8s while discharging the other, then switch back. That could allow 0.13C from a PV system half the size I suggested, about what DIY rich says.

Having just 6kW of panels to charge the entire bank I think would be half the desired charge rate.
I don't know how sensitive FLA is to charge rate. I have read of compressed air bubblers to keep electrolyte stirred.

I favor massive over-paneling when possible, makes up for a multitude of sins.

Visit Santan Solar and Inxeption websites. (Just avoid oats which have already been through the horse, I mean "snail trail", "cracked backsheet" etc. and look for premium brand panels.)

If building an array on a budget, this is tempting- EG4 mppt, 100A charge controller with up to 500voc input. Could possibly solve most of your charging issues with a single string of panels, and really simplify the install.
$400 right now

Example: Get 8 of these on a string to the CC. The idea being to try and max out the charge controller with 1 string. You can get close with good planning.

Yes theres cheaper panels out there but youll need more of them, in multiple strings. The mounting and racking can add up too.

Last edited:
A bit smaller and 0.5x to 0.585x the price of those JA Solar, $80 for 420W used (10.5kW) or $100 for 445W new (13.8kW)

(Not finding anything under $0.40/W at Inxeption right now. Have seen ads at $0.26 recently. Sometimes by the pallet, sometimes only by the cargo container.)

That inverter is likely consuming 100-120W all the time, so > 2.4kWh/day - more than a typical residential fridge. Assume about 4kWh/day between inverter and fridge, and you don't have enough PV to consistently charge charge to full as once you've replaced all the Ah you've used that day, you need to supply about 15% more due to the inefficiency of lead charging.

80-100A of MPPT output and 4000-6000W of PV, and your situation will be transformed.

Hello everyone,
I have recently found this site after much regretted frustration with the a company that is DIY solar but not full on help. Turns out they do the bare minimum to sell you products. Now I need to fix the situation, but only can afford to do it slowly.

Here is what I have:
16 × Crown CR-430 6V 430Ah Deep Cycle Battery. 8s2p = 48v 860Ah
SkyMax Stratus 48 Volt 6000 Watts
3 × 300w solar panels
SkyMax MPPT 20 Amp Charge Controller
Westinghouse 9500DF portable generator

I am not an expert but I am also not ignorant when it comes to electricity. Just not very versed in solar. I am a 100% off grid cabin. Now obviously my solar panels are not enough to keep my bank charged, so we use the genny to assist and it's costing a fortune. I would like to move from this set up and go a different route, but limited on a budget.
I am thinking on removing my current inverter/charger, charge controller and solar panels. Purchasing a EG4 6000xp and 16 × 400w panels, allowing me room to change the batteries up next year.
Is my thinking the best way of fixing my situation?
Am I missing anything?
Obviously your supply is inadequate for your loads. I have no idea if your storage (Batteries) is appropriate for your loads but it is also obvious that the PV you have is not going to charge them properly. Your inverter sounds like it handles running and startup at the moment but is constrained by inadequate solar.

So first things first is to get a handle on your predicted daily loads. Once you have that you can calculate the solar panels you will need to cover that plus leeway to cover days that are lower production.

Ex: You calculate your daily needs at 10kWh. You have an average of 5 hours of PV production in March. 10kWh/5h=2000W worth of panels. However there is loss between panels and loads to consider so as a rule of thumb say you need 25% percent more or 2500w. you would like to cover some bad weather production days so double that to 5kW.

W=VA If you have 5kW of panels charging 48vDC batteries 5000w/50v= 100a

So in this example you know that a 100a SCC is needed to make full use of panels. So long as your batteries can safely accept a 100a charging rate that part is taken care of. Capacity of the battereis for a 10kWh day is the next consideration. During solar production days you only need enough to cover sun down to sun up time. However in bad weather you need to cover the entire day of 10kWh. Amp-hour of battery times volts gives you watt-hours. Thus a days need of 10,000wh/50v=200ah.

Plug in your own situation to start planning things you need.

Honestly, living full time off grid, I would be tempted to buy a pallet of panels even if you can only mount and hook up half of them now. This is where you will find the best price and you will eventually use them. Look around for sales, even on ebay there are some companies just dumping 330-390W panels less than $100 each in pallet quantity. Example- I picked up a brand-new pallet of 365W Hyundai for $2800 delivered. Partial pallets are also available, just not as common. Most companies have a min order, and the price is higher if they have to split a pallet. I don't recommend used panels, but that's just me.

Your current inverter and battery set-up should serve you well. Right now your money is best spent on solar. To be functional, you need to target 100A of PV charging. So, focus on getting 1 complete array up to get you there. Victron and Midnite, are my go-to reliable brands for this size charge controller. The EG4 one mentioned above hasn't been out long enough to compare, but is well regarded by those that use it, High voc limit is attractive and the price is right.

In your case, as @sunshine_eggo mentioned above, a single functioning 100A PV charging source will be life changing!

Thank you, everyone. I went ahead and ordered 16ea of the 400w bifacial panels to get a higher supply. Best place to start, I may even go more later.

What are the specs on the panels?

Have you decided on an MPPT?

FWIW, you can leave your existing array in place. There is no harm in having two MPPT on the same battery bank.

What are the specs on the panels?

Have you decided on an MPPT?

FWIW, you can leave your existing array in place. There is no harm in having two MPPT on the same battery bank.
Hyperion
Wattage:400W
VOC:37.07
VISC:13.79A
Cell Type:Bifacial | Mono PERC

Haven't decided on an mppt yet but still have time to research and check around.

And that is good to know about leaving existing array in place. Will give new panels a helping hand.

On a Victron 250 controller, you might be able to get 6 of those in series, but with 16 panels on order, a 4S4P Array would be just right.

400W * 16 = 6400W

You need at least 100A to capture what that array can produce most of the time.

How far away will the array be from the charge controller?

With a 4S4P, that will be 50A making the run to the charge controller. Would need 6/2-UF. Keep it close, the wire cost will add up! Example: 130ft would be around $500

Not sure if it would be worth kicking this idea around? - making 2 runs with 10/2, Then using 2 less expensive charge controllers? Benefit would be redundancy and capture the extra 1600W - 30A potential. Costs might wash out or be close. 2 of those EG4 charge controllers sure would be easy, one string of 8 on each and the wire savings and no combiner box will pay the difference vs the single 250/100 Victron.

Back