diy solar

diy solar

How to bench test a Renogy 60Amo DC/DC

Larry-Cleveland

Sun? What Sun??
Hi Guys,

I just picked up a new-looking used local Renogy 60 amp DC/DC Charger (none of my friends said I shouldn't :) ) and I would like to bench test it.

I have a large HP bench power supply with adjustable volts and amps. Cables, meters, and a lead acid flooded battery. My thinking was to feed the unit from the power supply and then check the voltages at the battery with the different batter dip switch settings. I do have large truck battery chargers if you think I need more input.

Am I missing anything?

Could work. An FLA battery should take all the voltage settings on the charger's dip switch.

I'm not sure how the power supply would work if the receiving battery needed more than it could provide. I don't know if that charger can limit charging to a user selected amperage.

I would think a fully charged battery to one that needed charging and could take 60 amps of charging. You could also put loads on.

There may be an ignition switch for the converter to override and start charging if bench testing..

If a converter is going in the vehicle no matter what, you could get the converter installed and test it in the vehicle and if its bad, replace it with a new one. Could be easier than pulling batteries out of trucks.

That's an idea as my bench power supply only goes to 5 amps. I think it is spring outside...

I can temporarily hook it up to my truck battery and just put the house test battery on the ground.

Back