diy solar

diy solar

How to find bad panel in a multiple string system

I am disappointed that nothing in code to prevent this. Shouldn't the engineering plans consider this ?
We know county inspectors are worthless.
It's a bitch learning this the hard way -- 11 years later.

If found the Henry product

555 Fibered Aluminum Roof Coating​

But it states "prep: On metal roofs, remove rust by wire brushing."

And there is ---
OSPHO is a brand of phosphoric acid manufactured by The Skybryte Company. It converts rust into a zinc phosphate which makes a great pre-primer.

Trouble is every outfit will make claims and the homeowner is left with the fallout, sometimes years down the road.

I am disappointed that nothing in code to prevent this. Shouldn't the engineering plans consider this ?
We know county inspectors are worthless.
It's a bitch learning this the hard way -- 11 years later.
a lot of lesson learned over the last 10 yrs, with new codes and improvements. Serious solar roof top installation was just starting out 12-15 yrs ago

If you have a good IR imager, point it at your panels when they have been under load. You might be surprised at what you see.

"I'd talk to a pro, "
Not many roofers that know a thing about this matter. Had a guy on roof last week looking, taking photos. Not a thing since then from him.

"I'd talk to a pro, "
Not many roofers that know a thing about this matter. Had a guy on roof last week looking, taking photos. Not a thing since then from him.
I'd ask to get a quote on replacing it with an aluminum roof with marine rated paint and see if you get a response.

After you fall off your chair from the quote then you have a chance to try something and know what your worst-case scenario is. I found conflicting information online as to if you can do a silicone coating on that type of roof... but you now know what you stand to loose. Brush off corrosion, install a galvanizing corrosion inhibitor, and roll down some silicone roofing coating, ideally under the panels and everywhere down-slope from them to the gutters. If it is too much of a pain to do under the panels, just go about 6" under the bottom edge and hope for the best.

...or try a Roofing subredit?

Last edited:
Seems to me you want a dielectric sheet over the steel roofing seam, an a plate under setscrew, so no metal to metal contact.
This ought to be part of the clamp design. They're the ones who should have performed environmental tests, found the problem, offered the solution.

I'd ask to get a quote on replacing it with an aluminum roof with marine rated paint and see if you get a response.

After you fall off your chair from the quote then you have a chance to try something and know what your worst-case scenario is. I found conflicting information online as to if you can do a silicone coating on that type of roof... but you now know what you stand to loose. Brush off corrosion, install a galvanizing corrosion inhibitor, and roll down some silicone roofing coating, ideally under the panels and everywhere down-slope from them to the gutters. If it is too much of a pain to do under the panels, just go about 6" under the bottom edge and hope for the best.

...or try a Roofing subredit?
A**holes at reddit won't allow my post.

Seems to me you want a dielectric sheet over the steel roofing seam, an a plate under setscrew, so no metal to metal contact.
This ought to be part of the clamp design. They're the ones who should have performed environmental tests, found the problem, offered the solution.
In marine environments the rain can move enough ions to cause problems even when there is indirect contact.

Back