diy solar

diy solar

I put that sh.,.stuff on everything

There is no way I would put grease IN a crimp connector.
I agree. No-ox only between contact and not inside the lug.
For lug/cable = Crimp + sealing shrink tube... or crimp + weld +sealing shrink tube since I saw crimp/weld lug on some Ford and GM battery.
But we will not start another debate about weld lug here, right ? ?

If you have something to torque per some specs, wet (silicone grease) / dry torque specs differ. By how much to reduce when wet, maybe on the net there's some guidance.

If you have something to torque per some specs, wet (silicone grease) / dry torque specs differ. By how much to reduce when wet, maybe on the net there's some guidance.
Sorry everyone, I was very tired earlier when I replied and didn't have much energy left to search around on this specific.

First, if you haven't followed this thread , you sure should read the conclusion before saying no to dielectric grease.

A follow up on my point earlier, this webpage is an article on the lubrication effect on torque bolt. Not sure where dielectric silicon stands but the table says to lower the torque by as much as 30% to as high as 55% depending on the lubricant.

Thanx to everyone who contributed to both threads, great reading! I've got 2 tubes that in the past I used only for outdoor/car connections. Not anymore!

No reason to lube the bolt threads at all. Most torque tables specify dry threads. Put the lube on the electrical connection parts and leave the threads dry.

No reason to lube the bolt threads at all. Most torque tables specify dry threads. Put the lube on the electrical connection parts and leave the threads dry.
I can see a reason to lube the thread: loctite
This one act a lubricant and for the same torque on the bolt caused an higher tension. So torque should be lower.
But there is also many others variables who can change the torque requirement like: surface finish, bolt head type, grade, etc. + the torque wrench have a considerable tolerance.

So a torque tables for dry threads is good start to have approximative torque, but most people should not consider those torque table as 100% accurate tool.

I have come to the same position as OP, put it on everything. The thing i havent seen mentioned yet is that ive noticed it can stop a poor connection from escalating into a bunch of melted plastic because it helps disperse heat out through a connector. It would be ideal if no connections were ever poor, but id still rather not melt any plastic connector housings.

Back