diy solar

diy solar

Is there an esy way to know how to angle your solar panels or do you eyeball it?

I buy those cheap protractors and drill a hole at the zero mark,
Put a string in the hole and tie a nut to the other end,
Flat side against panel, string tells angle.

I picked up some metal protractors at the dollar store and screwed them to the panels,
On solstice I wrote down the angle on the side of the panel.
As months progressed I found months overlap, so 6 angles for 12 months.

I wish I'd thought of the plunger idea, beats trying to look at the sun down a protractor edge... ;)
Protractor on a plunger handle would have been MUCH easier on my eyesight!

usually , panel angle is related to latitude, but also to season.
the idea is to get perpendicular light a 12:00 in a summer day (and more inportant, in a winter day)
if you are at equator, or close , you can lay panels flat and there is not much changes between summer and winter.
the more you go away from equator (direction south pole or north pole), the angle will increase and the difference between summer and winter will increase. These places usually require a dual angle setup you can manually adjust once a year.

I used one of these type devices, which I had already. Are you planning for about 34 degrees from horizontal?

I used one of these type devices, which I had already. Are you planning for about 34 degrees from horizontal?
Those are ideal ! There is a similar model that you can attach with screws as well, ideal for an adjustable rack.
I ended up using a digital protractor, angle finder level, I had on hand similar to the one below. (I use it during construction, quite handy to have in the toolkit)

any smartphone as angle finder today
I am sure there are tons of calculator for sun position, exposure, power calculation, let alonethat you do not need to measure anything since a smartphone can kow you location, date , time , orientation
would be great to open a thread on the forum to post findings and evaluation of these apps

Back