diy solar

diy solar

Looking for some creativity

eddie1261

Solar Enthusiast
I have a Ruixu battery. Unlike the Battle Born that has a tab to which you attach cables with a nut and bolt (and lock washer) it has a lug that screws into the battery. I have my positive cables connected to my bolt on line fuse and all of that wrapped in electrical tape, but I have to come up with some way to isolate that lug. Both lugs, in fact, but mainly the positive. I have a big chunk of old truck inner tube that I can cut up to make insulation, but I have no clue how I would attach it to that style of terminal. Any ideas?

How about a couple of layers of shrink wrap

Something to think about!!

My best thought so far is to take a piece of that inner tube, cut a 2 inch circle of it, slit it so it will wrap tight to the lug, and wrap it tight with a cable tie or 3. That would emulate the hoodie type of safety cover that is typically found on car battery cables. I also still need to put in a breaker between the battery and the 12v fuse panel. That board is getting more and more cluttered. It's a small board. In a small trailer. Should have pictures by Sunday or so as the panel will go on Saturday.

Cut the pieces of inner tubes big enough to cover the connection then Cut two short pieces of rubber hose and push them over the brass lugs. Holds the inner tube cover on tight and covers the lugs.
Those big brass looking lugs are a target for anything metal that may fall on them. ?

Cut the pieces of inner tubes big enough to cover the connection then Cut two short pieces of rubber hose and push them over the brass lugs. Holds the inner tube cover on tight and covers the lugs.
Those big brass looking lugs are a target for anything metal that may fall on them. ?
That's an outstanding idea. If I put hose on that's tall enough, a wrench or bolt would have to have eyes to find its way through to the lug. And I really only have to do the positive, though as long as I am cutting hose and stuff I may as well do both if only for aesthetics.

You could stick a wine cork into the end to keep it shut. Trim off the excess cork to fit flush.
And it’s a good excuse to have some good wine ?

I had this PVC cap from another project. I coiled up some strips of the inner tube and fitted it inside the cap to go on the post. It will fit snugly on the post and not pop off when moving. It is extremely unlikely that there will ever be wrenches used above the battery to create the problem, but this is just a precaution anyway.

.cap.jpg

Last edited:
Back