diy solar

diy solar

LV2424 or..?

Yes, I understand how it switches to AC. I'm trying to figure out if my trailer demands all 3 air conditioners on (which is well over what the inverter is capable of at 2400watts), can the unit "Pass through" enough amperage from the grid to run all 3 AC's and other appliances on the rig?

Or am I somehow looking at this incorrectly?

EDIT: I just found in the manual on page 24, it has a "Max bypass current - 40A" I guess it will not.

Yes, I understand how it switches to AC. I'm trying to figure out if my trailer demands all 3 air conditioners on (which is well over what the inverter is capable of at 2400watts), can the unit "Pass through" enough amperage from the grid to run all 3 AC's and other appliances on the rig?

Or am I somehow looking at this incorrectly?

EDIT: I just found in the manual on page 24, it has a "Max bypass current - 40A" I guess it will not.
That probably mean they use 40A circuit breaker on the AC input of the unit.

In your situation I wonder what the cons would be in looking at the lv5048.

As an Additional note, the lead acid house battery that came with my camper is still there for brake control and electric jack purposes. But the system I designed has no way to charge that battery other than from my trucks alternator.
I just checked the LV5048 and it too, has a 40 amp Max Bypass Current.

Hybrid-LV5048.png

So this is the LV5048, which like I mentioned above only has 40a of Bypass current, but can that be 40a per leg if I'm using 240v L1-L2 split phase?

From my basic understanding, my rig has 50 amp coming in, which is 2x 120v legs making 240v Split Phase correct?

The LV5048 has AC input of 240v L1-L2 and AC output of 240v L1-L2, which means I should be able to drop this unit right in between my existing transfer switch and breaker panel, and power the entire rig. Correct? Now the Max Bypass Current is 40A, but is that 40A total, or 40A per leg? Meaning 80A total? This would be enough to power the whole trailer IMO, including all 3 Air Conditioners and some various other appliances.

Thoughts? Criticism? Someone tell me i'm dumb lol.

I think I'm just going to go with a 2024LV-MK and run a sub panel with the Fridge, Microwave, and outlets.

Well, I just found out the gopower IC3000 will pass through the full 50amps per leg. Exactly what I want to power the entire breaker panel, rather than making a sub panel. But it's 12v only and I want to run 24v for solar charge controller purposes.

Any other ideas guys? I'd rather not spend 3x the amount on a unit just because of 1 silly feature.

I'm not an expert, so I'm watching your thread in case I can chime in and be of help, but am I looking at something wrong, isn't the IC3000 an inverter/charger? You would still need a solar charge controller unless I'm looking at the wrong product.

Before you buy, look at the newer versions. the 2424 is pretty old now. I use the MPP 3048 which just came out. Works great for 48v. I have 2 in a split phase configuration and I can run my entire 5000sf house from it if I dont go crazy with the oven and microwave. It supports grid/generator charging and backup. A total system and I have full access to all the data.

If you want a 24v system, look at this.

The technology and reliability have improved a lot since the 2424/5048. They are old school first generation.

Last edited:
Before you buy, look at the newer versions. the 2424 is pretty old now. I use the MPP 3048 which just came out. Works great for 48v. I have 2 in a split phase configuration and I can run my entire 5000sf house from it if I dont go crazy with the oven and microwave. It supports grid/generator charging and backup. A total system and I have full access to all the data.

If you want a 24v system, look at this.

The technology and reliability have improved a lot since the 2424/5048. They are old school first generation.

I highly suggest that you deal DIRECTLY wiht the MPP Solar folks in Taiwan ... they will be cheaper - faster -- and they speak excellent english so you can email them what you are trying to do and they will tell you what you need .. in fact if you go to their site on Alibaba you can text them / chat

My link on ebay above bought the inverter directly from MPP in Taiwan. I found them very helpful at getting me software updates which was needed. We even worked together on a software bug I discovered that we fixed over email using the debug output. They are for real.

I highly suggest that you deal DIRECTLY wiht the MPP Solar folks in Taiwan ... they will be cheaper - faster -- and they speak excellent english so you can email them what you are trying to do and they will tell you what you need .. in fact if you go to their site on Alibaba you can text them / chat
I had 2 different MPP Solar units fail, one was throwing an error code upon installation and the other one started putting out 220 volts instead of 110 volts, 9 months after purchase. I bought from Ian in Utah (https://usamppsolar.com) and each time he immediately sent out a new unit before I sent in the bad one and he paid shipping both ways. If I had bought from Taiwan I would have had to ship internationally (big $$$) and likely wait weeks for a new unit. The price is not much higher especially when you get service like that.

Well I just heard back from Ian at USA MPP Solar, and he said the 2424LV MSD won't work with split phase, even in parallel. But the 2424LV Hybrid, the 2024LV MK, or the 3048LV will work if i parallel 2 of them.

I asked if the 5048LV will accept split phase without requiring a parallel unit (i would like to have less pieces to this puzzle and kind of simplify it). The website does say it accepts split phase by itself, but I want to be sure.

Coincidentally Ian also owns the watts247.com website, and I've been emailing him back and forth, only to ask him the same question through a different email... #awkward...

I'll keep this thread posted.

Ian is on it and has already gotten back to me. He said the 5048 does support split phase but is currently being discontinued. Its replacement is going to consist of basically 2x 3048LV MK inside but won't be available until February.

I have 2 x LV3048 in a split phase setup. It works great, but If they could be contained in a single box, that would be fantastic. I would definately wait for that.

I have 2 x LV3048 in a split phase setup. It works great, but If they could be contained in a single box, that would be fantastic. I would definately wait for that.
Do you know if the max bypass current will handle the full 100amps with your setup?

I would need to upgrade all my cables to test that, i only have it configured for 30amp on each phase. My solar setup is a shed at the end of my garden connected with a long 30amp generator cable.

If you have 30 amp per phase, can you test if you can get 50-60 amps? The manual states the 40amp max bypass current, but idk if that’s per leg. I would assume since there is 2 separate units, then it would be 40amps per unit then.

No rush, I'll be probably waiting till February so no rush on the test. I'm fairly certain it will do what I want.

Back