diy solar

diy solar

max disconnect

yycwrangler

Hello everyone..Jumping into solar for the first time. Have a renogy package (I know eyes are rolling). 4X100 panels/40amp rover mppt. I want to put a disconnect between the PV and mppt. I looked at the back of one of the panels and it states "max series fuse size rating 15 amp". Does that mean I should be buying a disconnect switch with a 15 amp max fuse rating or does that mean 15 amp per panel which equals a disconnect switch of 60 amps (4X15amp)
Thanks for any positive feedback..Cheers Al from Calgary Putting them in series.

so would be wrong in saying a 15amp switch for now..thanks for your help

This is the switch used in my system between panels and Rover. It has worked well for years.

Also for the Renogy Rover you will probably find this message on this forum helpful.

After reading the message suggest reading the entire thread for more info on the Rover.

Hope it helps...

For some reason someone convinced me that solar disconnects should be double pole. So I went with these:

61wmqv80TRL._SL1250_.jpg

This is the switch used in my system between panels and Rover. It has worked well for years.

Also for the Renogy Rover you will probably find this message on this forum helpful.

After reading the message suggest reading the entire thread for more info on the Rover.

Hope it helps...
The looks like a great switch..does it also work as a fuse

If you only want a switch, then you just need it to not trip falsely.
If panel maxes out at 15 amps, then do not put in a 14 amp breaker. You can put a 20, 30, 100 if all you want is a switch. Breakers make good light switches....
Might as well have a proper sized breaker if you are going to have one anyway.
You do want a switch so you can disconnect the solar first before disconnecting the battery.

If you only want a switch, then you just need it to not trip falsely.
If panel maxes out at 15 amps, then do not put in a 14 amp breaker. You can put a 20, 30, 100 if all you want is a switch. Breakers make good light switches....
Might as well have a proper sized breaker if you are going to have one anyway.
You do want a switch so you can disconnect the solar first before disconnecting the battery.
can I ask what you would suggest based ion the following info

4 Pcs 100 Watt 12 Volt
Monocrystalline Solar Panel
Maximum Power: 100W (each solar panel)
Maximum System Voltage: 600V DC (UL)
Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.3V
Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 5.86A
Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp):
18.6V
Optimum Operating Current (Imp):
5.38A

Go with the one @corn18 recommends, but use the 16 amp one amazon.com , whether you go with 4S1P, or 2S2P.
Remember, series adds voltage 4S1P (22.3v x 4 = 89.2v. 5.86a).
Parallel adds amperage 2S2P (5.86a x 2 = 11.72a. 22.3 x 2 = 44.6v) .
So you would be ok with the 16a pv breaker in either scenario.

Go with the one @corn18 recommends, but use the 16 amp one amazon.com , whether you go with 4S1P, or 2S2P.
Remember, series adds voltage 4S1P (22.3v x 4 = 89.2v. 5.86a).
Parallel adds amperage 2S2P (5.86a x 2 = 11.72a. 22.3 x 2 = 44.6v) .
So you would be ok with the 16a pv breaker in either scenario.
thank you for the understandable description. I save lives for a living so this math stuff can be somewhat confusing. So 2 pole, 16amp or round up to 20 amp of I can't find a 16 amp. Does it matter the volts of the 2 pole breaker. last question, what about a fuse from the 2...100ah lifepo4 batteries to a 2000watt pure sign inverter..What would you recommend there..Cheers Al

The breaker indicated is rated for 1Kv, so no issues there.
Changing the breaker size can have negative implications for the wire currently used.
Don't want your wire acting like an induction stove. lol.
Found this one on amazon.ca.
The other option is to use a 15a blade fuse and holder before the breaker, then you can use whatever size breaker you want, but that adds
more complication and cost, if you ask me. 🙂

Your 2 lifepo4 batteries are 12v?
2000w / 12v = 166a / 0.85 (inverter efficiency) = 196a (potential max amp draw)
Wire 2/0 and fuse rated for 200a would be the absolute minimum for both.

The looks like a great switch..does it also work as a fuse

No the switch is only for disconnect of both the + and - terminals of the solar panels to the to the Rover.

I also added a Littlefuse fuse holder & fuse that are designed for the solar panel + wire input to the Rover. Place it in-between the switch and Rover mounted on a din rail. See the links. Also see attached data sheets.

The switch and fuse are mounted indoors just before the Rover solar panel input connections.

Fuse Holder

15 amp fuse for 4 series panels

30 amp fuse for 2S2P down the road

I am not a fan of circuit breakers and prefer switches and fuses. If going the breaker route suggest a good quality one from Midnite Solar. They have good support. Contact them for help in choosing the proper breaker for your application.

If a switch is needed outside at solar panels this one is rated for 32 amps.

Attachments

• Littelfuse KLKD Fuse.pdf
    603.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Little Fuse LPSM Series POWR-SAFE Fuse Holders.pdf
    318.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back