diy solar

diy solar

Maybe I should build a still?

Yes! I think its a great idea. Also, you can make medicine extracts with ethanol. I made some black walnut and it cured my lyme disease.
Yesss ..and I gave my gf some with OJ and it made her extra friendly…👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Zwy
This time of year no heat and no AC operation. Fully charged by 10:30 AM. Maybe I should build a still and make some alternative fuel? Just nowhere to go with the excess.
Better yet, an ice builder. Take an insulated tank, refrigeration condensing unit, copper tubing, make a coil in the tank, charge, and fill with water. Now circulate water in-out across your giant ice cube for air conditioning. Concept has been used in the dairy industry to cool milk for nearly a century.

I built one from 2 kegs with bulkheads for electric water heater elements and use a micro processor to set it in .1 percent increments. Comes out 160-170 proof. Aged using staves I get from maker Mark distillery. Quit drinking so just use it for cooking.

Better yet, an ice builder. Take an insulated tank, refrigeration condensing unit, copper tubing, make a coil in the tank, charge, and fill with water. Now circulate water in-out across your giant ice cube for air conditioning. Concept has been used in the dairy industry to cool milk for nearly a century.
Our bulk tank back in day was an ice bank. You could put warm beer in the ice bank and ice cold in a few minutes. :)

I have plenty of electrical capacity to run mini split heat pumps for cooling and heating for shoulder months and much of dead winter.

Appro of nothing at all, and a long time ago....Optical bombsite lens cleaning fluid. It came in 50 gal drums, labeled Bonded Medical Bourbon 196 proof,
Normally that grade gets the pink lady additive to make it not drinkable. BUT the pink lady left a film on the lenses, so the cleaning fluid had to be pure.
On a rare occasion "someone" would have extra after cleaning a bombsite, mixed 50/50 with distilled water you could use it as a mixer

Personally, I use a lot of excess energy for food preservation. Not that I have to, but because I can: dehydrating/freeze-drying, canning, making broth/stock, etc. Of course, wood processing is a big one. Generating wood chips as well...

I'll be looking into an electric sawmill at some point, and maybe a kiln...

Reactions: JRH
Already done, went heat pump water heater first week of March.

Already have Luyuan box here bringing total bank size to 74 Kwh.

Don't need a generator, we used less than 3% of the yearly Kwh this past year from grid. Less than $5.

No EV here, just not quite the answer in Timbuktu, Iowa. It is some distance to anywhere with civilization and it gets to -30°F here in the winter.

I'd build a still before buying an EV at this point. I can "sample" the product. That would keep me warm when it is -30°F. :)

We added another 18K btu mini split this last month but too nice here in Iowa to get much use right now. Come June, it will be running full bore when the humidity kicks in.

Sounds like you're all over it :)

Back