diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Solar Announced their new 10kw AIO at Intersolar Today

I'm always suspicious about people being suspicious about suspicious things.
I don't know what there is to be suspicious about.
I don't think there has been any CEO/ owner like Robin of any brand on a forum talking , advising sharing information and knowledge beyond their product lines .
Some might say it's poor management behaviors but I beg to differ.
It only makes me want their product more .
A lot more can be said but I will leave it at that.
Bottom line it's still good customer service

What is the regulatory basis for this?

Mike C.
Probably more of a consumer protection thing than anything else. Never underestimate the general populations ability to do stupid things. I remember back in 2014 a guy that bought 10s of thousands of dollars of cybercoin miners and had no idea how to configure them, or that 30amp 220V equipment wouldn't run on his 15amp 110V household sockets (and no, you can't solve that by buying a 110v->220V transformer, which he suggested...).

We don’t care if our vendor works with other companies. What we do care about is all the proprietary information we taught them in order to make this inverter. Some of our competitors haven’t got the experience we have and they might like to go to our supplier and get what we have worked very hard for. Someone here mentioned the Chinese Outback charge controller. After I left Outback my partners decided it was too hard to manufacture the controller anymore so they found a high quality company in China to build it for them. They did 100% of the work including loading Outback’s code into the processor. Now my partners were fantastic engineers, but maybe not very smart business guys. The company continued going in the wrong direction for years until so had to get back involved. We got the company healthy enough to still it a year later. The company we sold it to had their own manufacturing in India, so they yanked the production away from China. Well, the China company had everything required to continue making the charge controller, so that is what they did. They could not make any updates to the code as all they had was compiled, but it worked just fine and still does. Manufacturing in China is risky. We have a great partner there.
Some states and Puerto Rico will not allow you to sell back to the grid without having a ten year warranty. California started this practice.

The Chinese Fang Pu Sung or whatever they call it is not a knock off. It is the real deal. They made a minor modification to the casting tooling that I designed in 2000 when the work went to India. They removed the embossed “Outback” and put their name on it. The LCD still shows up Outback as they cannot change the code.
We in no way are attempting to limit what our supplier does. We do have a ton of IP in that inverter though. The company we selected has incredible quality control and testing/burn in procedures. They are simply the best choice for this product.
We do have the opportunity to have onsite service for this AIO. You should see a video very soon from Current Connected in Las Vegas showing all parts and boards removed and replaced without taking the unit off the wall. I haven’t seen it yet, but it will show that this unit is very serviceable.

The LCD still shows up Outback as they cannot change the code.

Does "DDT" (throwback to CP/M) not exist any more?

Or, does the programmer take an encrypted file, and that name is not plain text in the source file? Or checksum prevents diddling?

(just technical curiosity. I would like to see more extensive plagiarism protection in hardware/firmware products.)

Last edited:
The Chinese Fang Pu Sung or whatever they call it is not a knock off. It is the real deal. They made a minor modification to the casting tooling that I designed in 2000 when the work went to India. They removed the embossed “Outback” and put their name on it. The LCD still shows up Outback as they cannot change the code.
We in no way are attempting to limit what our supplier does. We do have a ton of IP in that inverter though. The company we selected has incredible quality control and testing/burn in procedures. They are simply the best choice for this product.
We do have the opportunity to have onsite service for this AIO. You should see a video very soon from Current Connected in Las Vegas showing all parts and boards removed and replaced without taking the unit off the wall. I haven’t seen it yet, but it will show that this unit is very serviceable.
Yeah, I get that.

Any updates from the other 18 guys/companies( Backwoodsolar and Solar Biz) except Dexter(Current Connected) and Rick Jacobs on the ONE?
I thought NAZ Solar Electric would have been in this as well.

Does "DDT" (throwback to CP/M) not exist any more?

Or, does the programmer take an encrypted file, and that name is not plain text in the source file? Or checksum prevents diddling?

(just technical curiosity. I would like to see more extensive plagiarism protection in hardware/firmware products.)
I promote intellectual sharing, If it is used for upliftment or in time of need like in COVID-19 vaccines but hate when it's being used for profit like COVID-19 vaccines again if my assumptions are right.

I had to cut out a significant portion of my 200 amp whole house write up due to the length allowed here. I would ask you to go on the MidNite Solar website for the full write up when it gets posted. It also includes a write up I found by Barry Cinnamon of Cinnamon Energy systems. Barry is a California dealer/installer. Barry did his own write up on the subject of whole house back up. I do not know Barry and have never spoken to him, but he came to the same conclusion as I and several others here have done. Whole house back up can certainly be done, but you need to go into it with your eyes open or it could cost many thousands of dollars more than you budgeted for. So, please read these full write ups and then decide for yourself.MaWith regards to transfer
Maybe asking a dumb question here.
Does Midnite plan on making a larger manual transfer switch?
Big Brother or sister to 👆

Yeah, I get that.

Any updates from the other 18 guys/companies( Backwoodsolar and Solar Biz) except Dexter(Current Connected) and Rick Jacobs on the ONE?
I thought NAZ Solar Electric would have been in this as well.

I promote intellectual sharing, If it is used for upliftment or in time of need like in COVID-19 vaccines but hate when it's being used for profit like COVID-19 vaccines again if my assumptions are right.
The United States has a "for profit" healthcare system and is regulated by the Federal Government. The manufacturer's receive government funds and private and public investment. They perform research and development and create novel molecules and technology. Scientific discovery is also performed in US research universities. These universities have agreements with faculty to promote, develop, manufacture and sell for a profit the products and services they discover. This is our system of capitalism. Maybe this system is prohibited in Guyana, but the fact that you don't like it is immaterial when it comes to Covid-19 vaccines on this website.

Furthermore, the US provided 2.8 million dollars of aid to Guyana in 2023 alone. The US has donated many thousands of doses of Paxlovid to Guyana and hundreds of thousands of doses of Covid-19 vaccines to Guyana. Your post was critical, and missing a big thank you to US taxpayers and businesses.

And, even if the US gave Guyana the intellectual property to the Covid-19 vaccine, it would do your country no good because it lacks the technology expertise to produce a product.

The United States has a "for profit" healthcare system and is regulated by the Federal Government. The manufacturer's receive government funds and private and public investment. They perform research and development and create novel molecules and technology. Scientific discovery is also performed in US research universities. These universities have agreements with faculty to promote, develop, manufacture and sell for a profit the products and services they discover. This is our system of capitalism. Maybe this system is prohibited in Guyana, but the fact that you don't like it is immaterial when it comes to Covid-19 vaccines on this website.

Furthermore, the US provided 2.8 million dollars of aid to Guyana in 2023 alone. The US has donated many thousands of doses of Paxlovid to Guyana and hundreds of thousands of doses of Covid-19 vaccines to Guyana. Your post was critical, and missing a big thank you to US taxpayers and businesses.

And, even if the US gave Guyana the intellectual property to the Covid-19 vaccine, it would do your country no good because it lacks the technology expertise to produce a product.
Thanks for the info.
But it's was more of a general statement not directed to a single Country,person or organization .
Was more of where we are and how we think as a species.My self included.
Wasn't meant to offend anyone.

Back