diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus vs Multiplus II

Partimewages

Solar Addict
I have a chance to get a couple old stock Multiplus 12/3000/120. They would be for a RV 5th wheel mobile application. $615 each. I have n0t checked warranty but figured there probably will not be any.

Any disadvantage advantage?
Opinions appreciated.

For a few dollars more you can buy a brand new unit from Current Connected which effectively has a 10 year warranty. Ok more than a few dollars but you would be getting both support and warranty.

I have a chance to get a couple old stock Multiplus 12/3000/120. They would be for a RV 5th wheel mobile application. $615 each.
I've been scouting similar units. That's a GREAT price.

For a few dollars more you can buy a brand new unit from Current Connected which effectively has a 10 year warranty.
Unless I'm missing what you're referring to, the MultiPlus-II equivalent from Current Connected is $1,052.30.

$437.30 feels like more than a few dollars!

Is your 5th wheel a 50a service or a 30amp service?

If it’s a 50a get the Multiplus II 12/3000 120vx2. It will automatically take care of the dual phase/single phase issue. If it’s a 30a the original Multiplus will be a great deal.

It's 50amp. I was thinking 2 MPs in parallel or split phase.
I need to look over some wiring diagrams. Just happened upon these and from experience I jump at great deals. $1200 is pretty good.

It's probably not going to be that old, but the older Quattro / Multis from around 10 years can't be updated to the latest firmware (500+) to use all functions of DVCC which limits how useful they are if you get a Cerbo or rasPi. So maybe check that first just in case. The serial code normally starting HQ has date of manufacture in it.

The earlier Multi II had noisy fans, so a plain original Multi at a good price could be a good option in an RV.

I think there is a modification kit from Victron to fix those early units and some of the Quattros.
Yes there is now, and others did have luck replacing the fans for ones that are quieter with the original fan circuit, I'm not sure if it was as good a fix as the updated II, I haven't read about it yet or compared the two side by side, but maybe it's all good with the kit? If that was a conern for anyone else.

My other unit is a Multiplus 24v, 3k, 3000. It is a nice unit. The advantage to the earlier units is that they are shorter, albeit a little deeper or thicker than my second unit which is the Multiplus II. This could be an advantage in smaller spaces if the 12v is similar.

MP isn't the old version of the Mp2 they're just a bit different... Both are still sold. I wouldn't worry much about being in warranty it's a Victron. And if almost half price might as well get 2

You can always just go just 1 and run 1 leg of the 50a unless you think you'll use over 6kw, but even then you have power assist to get that additional 3kw if wired right.

Back