diy solar

diy solar

My adventure with Chargery appears to be done .

grizzzman

Photon Vampire
I went to cycle the pack to compare it to the AH readings between the Chargery and the Bogart TM2030 Battery monitor. I noticed that the charger screen was on. I could change pages but could not assess the main menu or get the stop button to work. A power cycle did not correct it. the main unit was real hot. Disassembled, put a fan on it. Still no go. Tried to reflash. Was unable due to the comm port was not seeing the main unit.

A bit off topic but that Bogart TM2030 Battery monitor seems like old technology now but that thing is really really good.

Geez that sux. Did you have some passive balancing going on which results in heat ?
Any possibility of a short, power contacting the casing or other leads. I poofed one instantly by accidentally contacting a relay control lead.

Point to note for all, IF you are using the Passive Balancing feature, that can generate a lot of heat the BMS casing has to dissipate. It NEEDS Airflow to do so.

My BMS' are attached to the battery boxes with 2-way velcro so I can remove them if needed (was a good idea too). I worried about heat but as I do not use the passive balancing due to having Active Balancers, I don't have to worry about the temps. When I did try the Passive, the heat kinda freaked me out.

I went to cycle the pack to compare it to the AH readings between the Chargery and the Bogart TM2030 Battery monitor. I noticed that the charger screen was on. I could change pages but could not assess the main menu or get the stop button to work. A power cycle did not correct it. the main unit was real hot. Disassembled, put a fan on it. Still no go. Tried to reflash. Was unable due to the comm port was not seeing the main unit.
I am not surprised to hear this after taking a detailed look at the circuits yesterday. Very little effort made in the way of self destruct prevention.

I am also wondering if the promised new version will be enough of a step up.

Update: It is the main Controller that is producing all the heat. You can see the discoloration due to the heat.

I'm kinda wondering if Chargery is going to get their product improved just about the time most people have moved on to something else.
I'm actually still liking mine for what I am doing with it. If it self destructs ... not sure what I will do.

I still have not found a BMS that I trust for a cost that makes sense for what I am doing. Maybe I will mod my Chargery, build my own, or bite the bullet and get a commercial unit of some kind.

My biggest requirement is reliability as is probably many others. What I have seen at this level gives me no reason to trust the BMS.

Geez that sux. Did you have some passive balancing going on which results in heat ?
Any possibility of a short, power contacting the casing or other leads. I poofed one instantly by accidentally contacting a relay control lead.

Point to note for all, IF you are using the Passive Balancing feature, that can generate a lot of heat the BMS casing has to dissipate. It NEEDS Airflow to do so.

My BMS' are attached to the battery boxes with 2-way velcro so I can remove them if needed (was a good idea too). I worried about heat but as I do not use the passive balancing due to having Active Balancers, I don't have to worry about the temps. When I did try the Passive, the heat kinda freaked me out.
The screen was on. In storage mode. No active balancer hooked up. I had stopped passively balancing due to the incorrect voltages causing cell "imbalance" As far as heat from passive balancing goes I turned the main unit upside down so the heatsink would be right side up so less heat would go through the board it's self and had a fan on the unit so it would not shut down due to heat build-up and a large heatsink on the bottom side to encourage air flow.

The screen was on. In storage mode. No active balancer hooked up. I had stopped passively balancing due to the incorrect voltages causing cell "imbalance" As far as heat from passive balancing goes I turned the main unit upside down so the heatsink would be right side up so less heat would go through the board it's self and had a fan on the unit so it would not shut down due to heat build-up and a large heatsink on the bottom side to encourage air flow.
IMO, you went Above & Beyond to accommodate the possibilities. can't imagine doing any more than that... unless you extract the board and build a different casing with cooling fans etc.... no answer there.

One of the reasons I was attracted to the Chargery is the format / setup partly, not having any exposed PCB and modularity (being able to pop the LCD off).

Factory400 wants that cooked 8T I have to "examine it" hopefully good will come of that.

Back