diy solar

diy solar

My build thread

I don't.

How much excess do you have? Let's say you had 5000kwh excess per year. You could sell that back to the grid for something, or buy more battery to store it? How much would the grid pay you net for 5mwh of export? Vs how much would a battery cost to capture that same 5mwh.

It's a simple math equation and I bet for most people it makes more financial sense to export excess to the grid, than it does to store it
I wasn't interested in grid tie, it would have cost me as much for grid tie here and I have a much larger system. My brother has a 17.5Kw wind generator and he is grid tie. He has to carry a special liability policy in order to be grid tied. So not only does he have a minimum charge of $1.75/day for the grid connection, for the privilege of storing power on the grid he pays for a high priced insurance policy. He has to net meter with a 500Kwh bank, anything over the utility gets for free. He locks his tower down once his bank hits 500Kwh. The utility doesn't pay at true up either, you give the utility whatever is in the bank at true up. Originally he was paid $0.10/Kwh for any excess production but as wind and solar became adopted more here, that all went away. I know several farmers who put in an array, only to have the rules changed after a few years and the utility is getting free power.

For 5Mwh of power here, I would get paid nothing for it. They just put up 66 wind towers within 12 miles of me and some as close as 2 miles. They don't need the little guy. They will force everyone to give them the excess for free. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/using-excess-solar-to-heat-house.35995/post-899576 The first paragraph explains exactly what is occurring.

Ben and James see it and are correct. Why would I go thru the hassle of grid tie here, not have backup power when grid goes down and I invest my money in something and not only give away what it produces for free, but have the rules change after I put it in and it is now worthless?

The math is this. Utility companies will force you to give what you produce to them either free or with very little compensation. Meanwhile one needs to look at NEM 3.0 paying $0.02/Kwh for your input and you buy it back when you need it at $0.40 to $0.50/Kwh. The math is they profit $0.38 to $0.48/Kwh off your money you spent on the system. If you don't think it won't happen in your area, you are sadly mistaken. My utility is raising the per Kwh cost by 20% in preparation for the exact same scenario. They will drop net metering here next, true up already died. The only way net metering stays alive is if the government increases the renewable energy requirements on utilities but it might even be too late for that.

I took a little trip (about 4 hours one way) Wednesday to pick up a used wood boiler to heat my house in the dead of winter. (That's for another thread about energy costs). Along the way I saw some very large solar farms that hadn't been there the last time I passed thru and also more wind farms recently constructed. If you haven't figured it out yet, people like Al Gore (who says he invented the internet :ROFLMAO:) have investments and formed companies that will profit from the adoption of green energy while pushing for legislation to force the general public to adopt green energy with huge taxpayer subsidies. It's all a big money grab. The government goes along because of a few reasons, it keeps the economy moving, no different than building the interstate highway system, before that rail, the adoption of the Web and those excesses, the housing boom of the 2000's, the shale oil and gas boom, and now green energy. The other reason is those with inside knowledge of what legislation, rules and regulations that will be passed and enforced have positioned themselves to profit from it.

Super off peak
we have a super off-peak available - 2.8 cents per kWh - 11:00pm to 7:00AM BUT the other side of that deal, the on-peak goes up from 18.2 to 28.` cents per kWh - the standard off peak rate is 8.7 cents per kWh - 7:00PM to 7:00 AM weekdays and all day Sat and Sun - sticking with this one.

KTPL is going to get the contract to back up Louisville one day...I can feel it coming.
Might not take much, from Wiki:

Between 1970 and 2000, Louisville lost population each decade. As of the 2000 census, Louisville had a population of 256,231, down from the 1990 census population of 269,063.[10] Due to the city-county merger that occurred in 2003, which expanded the city limits, the city's population increased to 597,337 at the 2010 census count.

If the last person to leave (like Detroit) does turn off the light switch, it will be an easy task to power Louisville.

Today will be 20 days since my last full charge. So I decided to force charge from the grid. And see how well the cells are balanced. It's going to be another rainy day. So there won't be much production. I rewired the chargeverter to bypass the automation (made a mental note to add a "force charge" switch to the system) . And set the chargeverter on "kick ass" . Should only take about 20 hrs. lol

So, this weekend I was running a bunch of load testing. And since I had the batteries pretty low. I decided to give my grid chargeverter backup a real world test.
Battery voltage dropped to 48v.
Dry contacts turned on the chargeverter. (Via a relay)
Chargeverter floated the batteries at 48v, and covered the loads all night.
Sun came up the next morning and started charging the batteries.
Chargeverter went idle, because the voltage was above its setting. (48v)
When the batteries reached 50v. Dry contacts turned off the chargeverter.

I love it when a plan works as designed.

now that is a great idea.
I have been building up the relays (SSRs) triggered by my inverter's AUX dry contact
but I was looking at actually charging the batteries from 41v to 45v (tesla Model S modules - 2S6P). New idea to me of just floating the batteries and run the load for minimal grid consumption. I like it. thanks

Back