diy solar

diy solar

My Dometic RV fridge is sucking my batteries dry and I can't determine why?!

I too have a Samlex 24v all in one with a homebuilt 300ah 24 battery. I can run fridge/lights/furnace and my wifes cpap for several days no problem.

He said that he's waiting for some parts and that he'll build a plug-and-play DC2DC converter for me to install so I can remove the old 12 v system. I'm fine with installing that myself, and if that fixes the unusually large draw, I can live with it. However, if it makes more sense to remove the absorption fridge in exchange for a compressor, I'll look into doing that as well. Your thoughts??
The Danfoss compressor refrigerators are very definitely worth the cost, my Grape Solar unit was about $890 U.S. from home cheepo, Grape Solar no longer sells this unit but I have seen it with Sanyo name on it in the Phillipines but sadly not here in the lower 48 , (Native Alaskan for the Continental U.S.)

ABSORPTION FRIDGES USE A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF ELECTRICITY, TYPICALLY 5-6X AS MUCH AS A COMPARABLY SIZED RESIDENTIAL UNIT. DO NOT RUN ABSORPTION FRIDGES ON AC UNLESS YOU HAVE 5kWh OF BATTERY CAPACITY PER 7.6CU-FT OF FRIDGE VOLUME.

Yes. I run my absorption fridge on AC. However I have 3kW of AZ high desert PV and 23.3kWh of battery, AND the fridge is the only load besides 180W of "background" loads 24/7.

EDIT: Also worth noting that when we're on site and using lots of power for things we want, the fridge is running on propane. :)

Last edited:
https://jc-refrigeration.com/ Check out these guys. They convert your fridge to a compressor fridge in less then a day. We had our Nevercold converted and love it. Uses a lot less energy.
these look like replacement adsorption refrigeration units, not at all like what I am using.

<EDIT and update>
Looking more closely they do indeed offer updated tech. gas/electric units as well as what they are calling a “hvac” unit which does indeed does look to be a danfoss style compressor but more likely a Colku (chinese clone of the danfoss)

Last edited:
Fascinating!! But for $1200, I'd be money ahead to just buy an off-the-shelf unit from Home Depot?? What prompted you to go with JC?
Back then I didn't have the battery/inverter setup I do now. I have the 12 volt compressor model.

If I was to do it again I would just replace it with a standard fridge to get the extra space. About 2 cubit feet of extra space. If you can find an inverter refrigerator it will lower your energy level even more.

If I was to do it again I would just replace it with a standard fridge to get the extra space. About 2 cubit feet of extra space. If you can find an inverter refrigerator it will lower your energy level even more.
That's check number 3 in the compressor fridge category! I'm going to see what I can work out with my installer. Thanks for your insights!

The 7.6 cu-ft unit in the first 5th wheel had its cooling unit take a dump. Yummy! Ammonia! Yanked it and plugged the hole with foam board insulation because we have the double fridge in the other unit.

No way I'd consider a JC unit for one reason: I can get a fridge that fits in the hole that uses < 1kWh/day, costs < $600 AND has 10-11cu-ft of space vs. 7.6. You gain the volume occupied by the cooling unit when going residential. You don't get that from a JC "cooling unit."

Respectfully disagree. Left my converters and 12V systems completely intact for a secondary backup. So what if my 12V loads are only 75% efficient. They're a tiny fraction of my consumption.
But you have 3kW of AZ high desert PV and 23.3kWh of battery?! 75% of your system is still way more than 100% of mine. ...which I will never achieve...

But you have 3kW of AZ high desert PV and 23.3kWh of battery?! 75% of your system is still way more than 100% of mine. ...which I will never achieve...

I have a smidge of power paranoia. I have 2X inverters in parallel. If one goes out, I can use the other. I have my old 48V FLA bank on float in case my NMC bank takes a crap. If I lose both inverter and all batteries, I have a 24V, 2kW Inverter with 5kWh of AGM on float as well. If that goes out, I have a 4kW Predator generator. If that goes out, I have a 3kW Coleman generator. One of the 5th wheels also has a propane generator and a 420# propane tank attached.

Can't you see I need the on-board 12V as backup too? :p

Just wanted to jump in to say that I have a relatively inexpensive dc compressor fridge. 1.3 cu ft, Ausranvik(I think they're no longer around) but it runs great. It has not been turned off in years. Keeps milk good even in my 100 dg F plus yurt, or even in the front of my van on road trips. It recently had to run off an isolated 280 ah battery, and it ran for a week while the van was broke down in summer heat. I can't find more precise notes on power draw. I think it is roughly 60 watts while running, and runs for about ten minutes, depending on outside temps, of course. It never fails to keep temp, even if it may have to run longer.

I, too, am considering getting a second unit, because this one can achieve and maintain temps cold enough to keep ice cream, and I needs my ice cream:p and I could use another two or three cu ft:/ As to your twelve volt conversion issue, why not install a second solar panel system for the 12v circuits? 200 watts pv would really help out.

Well, it says "compressor" https://jc-refrigeration.com/product-category/dometic-120v-hvac-cooling-unit/ but who knows until you have your hands on it. The website does say they'll mail it to you so you can install it yourself. After I cross reference my fridge model to the right compressor, I may think about that option...
The Hvac 120V unit uses about 25% less power than the absorption unit uses on the electric setting. Power usage: 3 amps at 120V (360 watts).

Not really saving much :(

Back