diy solar

diy solar

My Little Ground Mount

Just an FYI.
The chemicals in treated lumber will dissolve aluminum.
You need a barrier between them.

Just an FYI.
The chemicals in treated lumber will dissolve aluminum.
You need a barrier between them.

Curious, how long will it take before the aluminum becomes structurally damaged? Any statistics, studies, reports that you can post? If available, specific to aluminum framing on solar panels.

Curious, how long will it take before the aluminum becomes structurally damaged? Any statistics, studies, reports that you can post? If available, specific to aluminum framing on solar panels.
It's been over a year since I researched it. But it completely ate through aluminum flashing in less than a year. So the panel frame could take a few years to go completely through.
I would imagine that different climates could have some affect. But that's just a guess on my part.

I don't think that the barrier needs to be extravagant.
I used the HD black Gorilla duct tape.

Probably because treated lumber is treated with a copper based compound, and we all know how well copper and aluminum get along, especially with moisture in the mix!

It's been over a year since I researched it. But it completely ate through aluminum flashing in less than a year. So the panel frame could take a few years to go completely through.
I would imagine that different climates could have some affect. But that's just a guess on my part.

I don't think that the barrier needs to be extravagant.
I used the HD black Gorilla duct tape.

WOW! I had no idea! 😮

Back