diy solar

diy solar

Need help building a pontoon solar system.

SolarPontoonNewbie

Hi all. I have a pontoon on an electric only private community lake. Recently a friend who I docked my boat to charge at passed away. So I now have to switch to solar power for charging.

I’m trying to get down what I need. And a way to save room. Im New to solar but am very handy as I’m a plumber and heavy machine operator.

My current setup is - 4x Renogy 12v 100 watt panels connected separately to each battery with a cheap solar controller for each panel and battery from Amazon.

I’m currently looking to get a high quality charge controller because I don’t like the performance of the cheap Amazon ones.

My motor is 48v
I currently have 4 12V 100AH Lithium batteries connected in series for 48v.

My main question is how would I go about connecting the 4 panels to one high quality charge controller to charge the 4 12v batteries that are in series making 48v battery bank ?

Is this possible and would anyone have a diagram to help with this.

My original thought was to just keep it the same way I have it now with 1 controller for each panel and for each battery but the high quality chargers are bigger and take up more room, not to mention the cost.

My thought is since your batteries are already in series you have a better chance of each battery staying at the same voltage if you charge them with one 48 volt charge controller. You should note the voltage of the panels and see if there is a charge controller which can handle the voltage of 4 of those panels in series. The first thing I would do is when the batteries are full to check them with a voltmeter to see if they are at the same voltage. You may need to parallel them and charge them at 14 volts to get them in balance. One charge controller has to be less cumbersome than four charge controllers and all the separate wires. Is the pontoon anchored in such a way that you can control the orientation to South to maximize production?

Hi all. I have a pontoon on an electric only private community lake. Recently a friend who I docked my boat to charge at passed away. So I now have to switch to solar power for charging.
I'm sorry for your loss.
I’m trying to get down what I need. And a way to save room. Im New to solar but am very handy as I’m a plumber and heavy machine operator.

My current setup is - 4x Renogy 12v 100 watt panels connected separately to each battery with a cheap solar controller for each panel and battery from Amazon.

I’m currently looking to get a high quality charge controller because I don’t like the performance of the cheap Amazon ones.

My motor is 48v
I currently have 4 12V 100AH Lithium batteries connected in series for 48v.

My main question is how would I go about connecting the 4 panels to one high quality charge controller to charge the 4 12v batteries that are in series making 48v battery bank ?
I'd wire the panels in series then connect them to an MPPT capable of handling the max VoC of your series string. I'd also add a 5th panel to get your voltage higher for more efficient charging.
Series string of panels to MPPT PV input, MPPT battery output and batteries to buss bars.
Is this possible and would anyone have a diagram to help with this.

My original thought was to just keep it the same way I have it now with 1 controller for each panel and for each battery but the high quality chargers are bigger and take up more room, not to mention the cost.

Back