diy solar

diy solar

New EG4 3kW Off Grid All-In-One Inverter - Anyone with experience??

Watts Happening

I call it like I see it.
Looking to throw together a little system for a vacation home of ours purely as a backup to the grid. Called Signature Solar yesterday to order a couple Growatt 3000's and EG4 batteries as well as to ask about their Garage Sale items. They happen to have both of those items available in the garage sale section, discount was pretty hefty but zero warranty.

Anyhow, the lady started telling me about a new product released literally minutes before I called, it's EG4's new all in one inverter at $749. It's got some neat features like a 500vdc max string input. I don't mind spending a bit more, but I don't want to be buying two of these (I need split phase for some mini splits) and finding out two weeks later I'm the sucker that bought the newest 'bad product' etc.

I have ZERO experience with EG4, and from what I read their batteries are great, but any/all new products come with some inherent risk and I thought I'd reach out to fellow solar folks to get their opinions. I assume @Will Prowse will be receiving these shortly, if not already and might have some input?

Attachments

• a06e57b0-b508-4767-a13d-7aa63731a55c__40702.1650893312.png
    a06e57b0-b508-4767-a13d-7aa63731a55c__40702.1650893312.png
    742.9 KB · Views: 15
Just received mine a few hours ago.
looking fwd to hearing what you think. I have been trying to decide on what inverter to go with the panels I like that are nupowa 240watt . under 36in wide 58in long great for RV roof.
voltage has been my enemy on panels and AIO units. between Growatts old 3k lvm vs the new ES unit with 250v, this one is 500v (y) ? it might solve any issue if starts mppt at lower voltages unlike the growatt 250v unit. love watching you and learning keep up the fantastic work.

Guessing voltronic since there are a ton of various versions out there

https://powmr.com/inverter-charger/...-sine-wave-hybrid-inverter-suitable-us-ca-mx/

It would be good if signature solar would confirm any differences in their model versus a slew of other ones out there
I haven't seen any voltronic based inverter with that small of an output but that high of an allowed string voltage.

Annnnnnd your initial thoughts/impressions? Feel free to PM if you're not wanting them public, I just want to know what the most realistic approach is here, planning to buy asap. Thanks!
Ditto same here. $$ is not the issue. Want a nice unit the 500v makes it nice and easy for wiring. Just want to make sure it actually starts at 120v for the mppt before buying. When Will did a review on the new Growatt es model it took almost 180v I think to start up out of the 250v max.
If not looking like old model 145v voc Growatt and lots of cables ?.

It would be good to know how good the MPPT controller is, seem like the growatts struggle based on some videos I’ve seen.

He put up his video:
I saw it moments after he posted it, and I hate to say it, but I’m not all that impressed. I don’t mean to say it doesn’t look nice and appear to function well, but the lady from Signature Solar told me it’s idle consumption was 6 watts, she went out of her way to make that point. Here it is with worse consumption than prior inverters :/

I do like the simple battery communication, but if you’re not BRAND new to this stuff, that’s a minor thing. Higher PV voltage is nice too, but I’m not sure it’s enough to make me take the leap?

Maybe just grab a couple 6548’s or even a 6048.

If I had a pure off-grid tiny house or workshop or something it would probably be high on my list. I really like the 500v string voltage. I do connect everything I do to the grid as an appliance though, I don't export power, but like to use solar as it is generated and available while cycling batteries little (I don't worry about cells aging out, I cycle them out if they stop working all-together). That way I always have plenty of reserve power for extended outages, don't have to deal with the municipality and/or utility, and can mostly still utilize the available solar. So I've directed other people towards inverters that can do "zero-export" or "net-zero".

If they like the EG4, I would probably tell them to wait for this https://signaturesolar.com/growatt-48v-3kw-250vdc-stackable-off-grid-inverter/ if they wanted something in the same power class (even though it doesn't have the 500v string voltage).

If I had a pure off-grid tiny house or workshop or something it would probably be high on my list. I really like the 500v string voltage. I do connect everything I do to the grid as an appliance though, I don't export power, but like to use solar as it is generated and available while cycling batteries little (I don't worry about cells aging out, I cycle them out if they stop working all-together). That way I always have plenty of reserve power for extended outages, don't have to deal with the municipality and/or utility, and can mostly still utilize the available solar. So I've directed other people towards inverters that can do "zero-export" or "net-zero".

If they like the EG4, I would probably tell them to wait for this https://signaturesolar.com/growatt-48v-3kw-250vdc-stackable-off-grid-inverter/ if they wanted something in the same power class (even though it doesn't have the 500v string voltage).
I don't disagree, then there is the fact that you can pick up a "refurbished" (whatever that specifically means for the unit you receive, I don't know) 3000TL LVM-ES for $500..

@Will Prowse , shooting from the hip, where do you think your money is better spent? I just don't have any experience with these brands, it's always been Victron for me in the RV's, but now that I'm tossing together something that feels pretty basic, less chance of needing it and generally just a fun project I'm trying to "pick right" from what's available.

I'd be lying if I said a couple of the refurbished 3000TL's for $1,000 didn't sound enticing... Heck, they have the EG4 batteries for $1,100 refurbished too. That no warranty part though, those are scary words!

Thanks @Will Prowse for the review. Will you get a chance to review the MPPT controller, better than the Growatt? Been seeing folks complain that the controller cuts out or has a long delay in obtaining a good power point. Wonder if the EG4 will be better.

I don't disagree, then there is the fact that you can pick up a "refurbished" (whatever that specifically means for the unit you receive, I don't know) 3000TL LVM-ES for $500..

@Will Prowse , shooting from the hip, where do you think your money is better spent? I just don't have any experience with these brands, it's always been Victron for me in the RV's, but now that I'm tossing together something that feels pretty basic, less chance of needing it and generally just a fun project I'm trying to "pick right" from what's available.

I'd be lying if I said a couple of the refurbished 3000TL's for $1,000 didn't sound enticing... Heck, they have the EG4 batteries for $1,100 refurbished too. That no warranty part though, those are scary words!
I have destroyed a lot of inverters, so I would personally go with models that have been out for years. The EG4 is brand new. I would stick with 6048 for beginners. Just a single unit can accomplish what most people need. The only downside is the low PV input voltage. LV6548 is higher and they are reliable.

I personally have never cared for growatt even though they are the same as MPP. The manuals, interface and support are not nearly as nice, and the MPP is lacking regardless. But growatt has had a lot more issues. Their grid tie units are better though. The cheap growatts are a pain.

I would rather have 1X 6548 or 6048 than most "all in one systems" on the market. Most of mine are collecting dust, but not the 6548's.

I saw it moments after he posted it, and I hate to say it, but I’m not all that impressed. I don’t mean to say it doesn’t look nice and appear to function well, but the lady from Signature Solar told me it’s idle consumption was 6 watts, she went out of her way to make that point. Here it is with worse consumption than prior inverters :/

I do like the simple battery communication, but if you’re not BRAND new to this stuff, that’s a minor thing. Higher PV voltage is nice too, but I’m not sure it’s enough to make me take the leap?

Maybe just grab a couple 6548’s or even a 6048.
Yeah, I was surprised there was no improvement in idle consumption over the last generation of all in one's. I really figured they would have lowered it by now.

I think this model is mainly for people who really want plug in play communication. We have members here on the forum and my youtube comments section that absolutely love that feature. I don't.

Yeah, I would still stick with the 6548's or 6048. They have a good track record from many who have used them 24/7 for years now.

One thing I really thinks sets us apart is customer service. Most brands don’t have a phone support or anything, let along a guy who hangs out in the forums for fun. Just saying. And we have some big things coming. Plus - the manual is absolutely great when compared to 99% of what you see nowadays and this unit is an absolute beast for the price and support you get.

Regarding the refurb stuff - the batteries are a steal. Signature Solar frequently has employees pick them up for a good price because the failure rate is so incredibly low that they know they won’t have to deal with a warranty regardless.

I’m always here so don’t hesitate to @ me for anything.

One thing I really thinks sets us apart is customer service. Most brands don’t have a phone support or anything, let along a guy who hangs out in the forums for fun. Just saying. And we have some big things coming. Plus - the manual is absolutely great when compared to 99% of what you see nowadays and this unit is an absolute beast for the price and support you get.

Regarding the refurb stuff - the batteries are a steal. Signature Solar frequently has employees pick them up for a good price because the failure rate is so incredibly low that they know they won’t have to deal with a warranty regardless.

I’m always here so don’t hesitate to @ me for anything.
@RichardfromEG4

I appreciate the response, and trust me, I want to give your new inverter a shot. It’s not that I’m saying it’s a “bad” inverter or bad deal by any means. It’s just that I may not be the right fit for that product. It looks amazing for someone new, no doubt. Beyond the high idle draw it seems to suit most people well.

I might be an anomaly here, but again my experience is with Victron/Battleborn setups after my initial Tesla batteries in our RV. I completely understand a vastly less expensive product will have its shortcomings, it's just a cost benefit ratio and if you're offering the service you're saying, that might sway things your way.

Heck, to be completely honest I'm friends with the Battleborn family, they're just miles from my house and I love them. That said, I'm always willing to entertain new products especially when it's just for a personal project of mine. I don't see this being more than maybe 6kw of solar with 6-10kw of inverters and maybe 10kWh of batteries, pretty basic in most regards and just for backup power at a place that has never needed it.
I'm really enjoying the idea of not having to worry about setting this up in the confined spaces I'm used to, as well as rolling earthquakes driving down the road. It's so much easier not having to worry about providing 12v to an RV too, none of the systems I've ever done have been ANYWHERE near this simple. It's really neat seeing the progress being made by companies such as yours. I'll keep toying with the idea, your inverter isn't out of the question at all, and if you're relatively convinced that the refurbished batteries are a good move, I'm happy to order some.

My question though, if I have a problem, am I completely hosed? Zero warranty/zero support? For me, that savings isn't worth it. But, if you're there to help, I'd be happy to buy them.

Attaching photos of what I typically work on, these are my personal RV, the system is a good 3 years old at this point. Looking forward to the simplicity of a system like this on the next.

Edit: I’d also like to say I really appreciate and enjoy Will’s ability to do this “full time” and evaluate this stuff. Understanding it seems to be rare, and having someone review it sure takes a lot of the headache out of being on the consumer side of things.

Attachments

• FDFA168C-B371-4FB8-8FC7-B31DB08DD47E.jpeg
    FDFA168C-B371-4FB8-8FC7-B31DB08DD47E.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 22D249AD-58C3-452C-A590-20064D4A2E53_1_201_a.jpeg
    22D249AD-58C3-452C-A590-20064D4A2E53_1_201_a.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 110D4C22-DBF8-4BE0-A7BA-B79DD8289E5E_1_201_a.jpeg
    110D4C22-DBF8-4BE0-A7BA-B79DD8289E5E_1_201_a.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I just filmed an hour and 40 minutes testing the inverter. Will post what I think in my video.
I just watched it ??.
Can you do a solar mppt test? ? To see when the unit actually starts producing power please ?. Hoping at 120v like it says if so.
I'm ready to drive down 2 hours and buy it and 2 batteries for my 5th wheel ??.
Thank you have a wonderful evening.
Love learning and watching your videos.
knowledge is king and you have the solar crown ?

Back