diy solar

diy solar

New Tesla Powerwall 3

Rocksnsalt

Solar Enthusiast
I know it’s not exactly a DIY thing, but still may be of interest to some.
I did a search and didn’t find anything on this so since I ran accross this today, thought I would post it:
TESLA POWERWALL 3 info
Built in Inverter…

Attachments

• 7F55E953-7C06-432C-AD21-78570B877555.png
    7F55E953-7C06-432C-AD21-78570B877555.png
    323.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 570BD173-C2B5-4B3A-B689-47AAA73886D2.png
    570BD173-C2B5-4B3A-B689-47AAA73886D2.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 50
  • D150A532-396D-49D6-8CDF-1E145D17D494.png
    D150A532-396D-49D6-8CDF-1E145D17D494.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 52
Built in Inverter
All Powerwalls have built in inverters, they are AC coupled devices after all.

What's different is the power output capacity of the PW3 has been substantially increased and it includes six MPPT inputs for direct connection of solar PV (PW2 had none, PW+ had four solar inputs).

They don't actually say what chemistry the battery cells are but there is a fair chance they are using LiFePO₄ given the increased weight for the same storage capacity and that it's not compatible for installation in parallel with PW2.

Yes, Tesla Powerwalls have inverters. But the term Powerwall has become somewhat generic now, and not all products that could be mentioned or referred to as such have built in inverters, like the new EG4 PowerPro.

150A LRA rating must assume voltage ducking because if not then it would mean an inverter capable of 36 kW peak. This may cause refrigerant compressors to stall if a large compressor causes inverter voltage to drop momentarily. Makes more sense to have a soft starter for each large compressor versus one global soft starter for entire circuit.

Tesla initially teased the Powerwall 3 with a basic overview. The wait is over! After 6 months, Tesla's website now offers the complete Powerwall 3 specifications in their official datasheet.
I know it’s not exactly a DIY thing, but still may be of interest to some.
I did a search and didn’t find anything on this so since I ran accross this today, thought I would post it:
TESLA POWERWALL 3 info
Built in Inverter…

Yeah still haven't found info on the limits of the mppt ports.

It can handle 2 feet of standing water tho so I guess unique selling point for areas prone to small floods.

When I was looking a year ago Tesla was the: Over priced, over hyped, under/old technology, immobile, high cost installation option. Kind of like their cars. Less bang than hype. Got newer tech for about 30% the cost. Truth on any battery is unless unlimited finances they are not remotely a full home electrical source for more than a few hours for my situation. 50kw battery bank, over 90 degrees, or under 40 degrees is maybe 12 hours of my whole house and it's 2360 sq feet so.......

Yes, Tesla is a US company, kind of, and I surely prefer to buy US, but look a bit closer and so much of Tesla is not built or sourced in US. I Pass on Tesla. I like watching Elon though on podcasts. Very entertaining.

Last edited:
Powerwall 2 is the biggest selling home battery in Australia by far. Definitely overpriced for the capacity but they do work and for grid tied homes wanting a retrofit battery to work with their existing PV system for peak shaving and outage backup they do the job for people unconcerned about costs. Increasingly people are connecting them to VPPs.

Powerwall 3 with the DC coupling and apparently 6 mppt strings is more tempting for the off grid aspect. Obviously big premiums over diy.

Yes it's a solar inverter.
That per se does not make it well suited for off-grid use. Most solar inverters in Australia are grid only units. The PW2 is not suitable for permanent off-grid use. It can form a microgrid for temporary outage coverage but is not designed for dedicated off-grid use.

Looks like more of a niche product for Aus.
Yes, being an all-in-one unit and incompatible with any existing solar PV system limits its use considerably here.

30% of homes already have solar PV but the proportion of those with batteries is very low, so AC coupled add-on batteries like the PW2 are the most popular option for those households who do wish to add a battery.

Meanwhile most new solar PV installations don't have a battery either because they are too expensive and don't make rational financial sense. So the PW3 is shut out of those homes as well. The PW3 isn't offering a cost advantage, and reduces flexibility for a staged deployment strategy.

Just had a quote for a PW3 system, yes LiPo batteries and acting like tesla invented it!!!...3 times the price of a solark / EG4 based system and are not nearly as functional e.g. discharge options, fail over conditions etc.

Just had a quote for a PW3 system, yes LiPo batteries and acting like tesla invented it!!!...3 times the price of a solark / EG4 based system and are not nearly as functional e.g. discharge options, fail over conditions etc.
Powerwall 3 shows as $8400. Output seems to be in the solark 15/eg4 18kpv class. Solark 15+eg4 14kWh battery = $7000+$3800=$10.8k using price from current connected.

Now outside the US can prob pickup a Deye 15k equivalent for less than $3500.

Screenshot_20240308_030140_Chrome.jpg

Powerwall 3 shows as $8400. Output seems to be in the solark 15/eg4 18kpv class. Solark 15+eg4 14kWh battery = $7000+$3800=$10.8k using price from current connected.

Now outside the US can prob pickup a Deye 15k equivalent for less than $3500.

View attachment 200786
Interesting...then the installer base are gouging with mark up. Can we buy and DIY?

Interesting...then the installer base are gouging with mark up. Can we buy and DIY?
Well this is just pricing for the inverter/battery hardware, no panels or installation included. There may still be a Tesla premium but it looks like hardware pricing is in the ballpark. Also Tesla are far ahead on the software side with virtual power stations etc I don't think solark/deye or eg4 have anything like that in operation. This was back in 2022:

Well this is just pricing for the inverter/battery hardware, no panels or installation included. There may still be a Tesla premium but it looks like hardware pricing is in the ballpark. Also Tesla are far ahead on the software side with virtual power stations etc I don't think solark/deye or eg4 have anything like that in operation. This was back in 2022:

where did you price the powerwall 3?

Back