diy solar

diy solar

Off grid solar to recharge electric lawn mower

cajocars

I have an electric zero turn lawn mower with a 24kWh battery. I also have a small shed where the mower can stay when not in used, the roof is about 4m x 3m, enough for 2.4kWp (I don’t think I need that much).
I was making a consideration; the lawn mower is mainly used in the summer because is when grass grows faster.
In my area I get around 190kWh/month in July and 38 kWh/month per 1 kWp.
I think the roof area is big enough to completely charge the mower off grid in the summer.

The mower charger is no more than 2kW, so it may take 2-3 days to charge if relying purely on the sun, which is fine. It will spend most of the time under the shed charging.

Am I right I only need a small battery for this?

The mower is charged through AC and I know the battery is 82V; obviously there are no DC connectors exposed, but I’m already thinking that at some point in the future I could charge it directly from the sun if a 82V solar charge controller existed, so I would need no inverter and no battery!

I have an electric zero turn lawn mower with a 24kWh battery. I also have a small shed where the mower can stay when not in used, the roof is about 4m x 3m, enough for 2.4kWp (I don’t think I need that much).
I was making a consideration; the lawn mower is mainly used in the summer because is when grass grows faster.
I think the roof area is big enough to completely charge the mower off grid in the summer.

The mower charger is no more than 2kW, so it may take 2-3 days to charge if relying purely on the sun, which is fine. It will spend most of the time under the shed charging.

The mower is charged through AC and I know the battery is 82V; obviously there are no DC connectors exposed, but I’m already thinking that at some point in the future I could charge it directly from the sun if a 82V solar charge controller existed, so I would need no inverter and no battery!
If you are using an inverter with only a small battery. You wont get through the first night if mower is still charging.

You at least need to size battery to get through the night, otherwise system crashes

If you are using an inverter with only a small battery. You wont get through the first night if mower is still charging.

You at least need to size battery to get through the night, otherwise system crashes
Because it is only charging though, it may be acceptable for the inverter to shutdown every night. The LBCO could be set higher than normal to avoid draining the batteries down to zero every day when it happens.

Because it is only charging though, it may be acceptable for the inverter to shutdown every night. The LBCO could be set higher than normal to avoid draining the batteries down to zero every day when it happens.
True, maybe use an inverter with a toggle switch and a separate battery protection shutoff so it can cycle with pv charging on its own

The only reason I see to have a bigger battery is to take advantage of solar production grater than the power that the mower’s charger is able to deliver (let’s say 2kW)
Or for taking advantage of the early morning production, where the peak power hasn’t yet reached the mower’s charger power.

I’m thinking more and more than direct DC charging would be the way to go!

You have a battery in the mower, why do you need an extra one?

How much land do you have and how often do you mow? Surely if less than a hectare and even once a week, then just charging up during the week would be sufficient?

You have a battery in the mower, why do you need an extra one?

How much land do you have and how often do you mow? Surely if less than a hectare and even once a week, then just charging up during the week would be sufficient?
Because I intended to use its 230V charger, which means I need an inverter (which needs a battery).

Not sure if the proprietary connector would accept DC voltage from any solar charge controller (do they even exist that can provide 82V?)
The land is 4-5 hectares.

I thought a lot of inverters work without battery. My Solis hybrid does. :unsure:
How would they handle morning PV starting it up only to try and fail to start the charger because the PV can't support the load?

I know PV to AC operation is a thing, it just sounds fraught with problems. But I guess the above problem still applies to a battery system that is insufficient to support the load all the time.

This guy's video might interest you. He has an electric mower lawn care business and uses solar to charge his mower.

Back