diy solar

diy solar

Off topic, EV vehicle opinions…

Supervstech

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I have been looking for a cheap EV for my wife… she drives an 01 Passat now, and I’ve spent innumerable amounts on service of the car… also, it has an oil leak, goes through about a quart a month, and it stinks… the shop is pricy to get it fixed up…
And of course fuel.
She doesn’t drive much… maybe 20 miles a week…

I found TWO Nissan Leaf vehicles at a local car lot… a 2012, and a 2013. Both with weak batteries, only getting 30 to 50 miles range.

We are in a condo, so charging would be an issue if she drove a lot, but I have my solar array on the suburban, and can charge it from there. As long as she doesn’t need to drive full range each day, because 600 watts max on the suburban, won’t recharge a 30kWh pack in less than 3 days.

What is the group opinion of these cars used?

The battery is the most expensive and important part of an EV. I look at them as batteries on wheels. Unless you have a good lead on a great used battery. I would be leery.
Just my opinion. I don't actually own an EV, yet.

What's your definition of cheap? How much range do you want/need? Size of car?
Would a used Bolt work for you? You could also look for a Fiat 500e. Not sure on the pricing on those, bit they were cheap when new.

I don't think I'd want a 30 mile range leaf, how far does that leave it from a 13 mile range? That would be pretty useless vehicle, I think.

We have a few old leafs in the family and I'd say they would be the perfect vehicle for you, given how much money you're wasting on the old VW, combined with her low use and perhaps the ability to charge for free.

The only mechanical issue I have with mine is that the screen wash runs out occasionally.

Ok, I have been looking for a cheap EV for my wife… she drives an 01 Passat now, and I’ve spent innumerable amounts on service of the car… also, it has an oil leak, goes through about a quart a month, and it stinks… the shop is pricy to get it fixed up…
And of course fuel.

I found TWO Nissan Leaf vehicles at a local car lot… a 2012, and a 2013. Both with weak batteries, only getting 30 to 50 miles range.

We are in a condo, so charging would be an issue if she drove a lot, but I have my solar array on the suburban, and can charge it from there. As long as she doesn’t need to drive full range each day, because 600 watts max on the suburban, won’t recharge a 30kWh pack in less than 3 days.

Personally, I'd wait on any EV purchase. More makes/models coming out daily.

I wouldn't waste my time with something needing a new battery. If anything, a Prius might be a better choice. My brother has 2, his son and daughter have one and my parents have one. I don't drive to work, I walk and my wife drives 4 miles. We don't drive enough personal miles in a year to make a change and for business, I'm towing with a Duramax usually.

Just throwing it out there. I know its above the budget you want, but brand new Tesla Model 3's are $37k for the New inventory models. Depending on your area, there are atleast $7500 back in rebates. In CA and with my income, I qualify for another $7500, bringing a brand new model 3 to only $22k.

Its very tempting for me. And I already own one!

And of course fuel.

I would be real leery that the batteries are used up. If the Leafs are real cheap it might be worth playing with though you wife may not want to be a test subject. Maybe get her another used car that does not leak oil.

Just throwing it out there. I know its above the budget you want, but brand new Tesla Model 3's are $37k for the New inventory models. Depending on your area, there are atleast $7500 back in rebates. In CA and with my income, I qualify for another $7500, bringing a brand new model 3 to only $22k.

Its very tempting for me. And I already own one!
For a vehicle that is driven 1000 miles per year that may be a bit on the expensive side.

I have owned 8 electric vehicles so far, and Tesla is the only logical choice. The others do not compare due to the charging infrastructure. My model 3's and model y have had practically zero problems. My model x and model s's have had lots of issues. My Porsche taycan had LOTS of problems. My Ford lightning broke on the second day.

Stick with a Tesla model 3 or y till better EVs become available.

I have owned 8 electric vehicles so far, and Tesla is the only logical choice. The others do not compare due to the charging infrastructure. My model 3's and model y have had practically zero problems. My model x and model s's have had lots of issues. My Porsche taycan had LOTS of problems. My Ford lightning broke on the second day.

Stick with a Tesla model 3 or y till better EVs become available.
I have also had my Model 3 serviced twice, once for the speakers that stopped working and was covered under warranty, and once for 2x front tires as they were cheaper than a local tire shop for the same tires. Both times I had a super great experience. Best dealer experience I have ever had personally.

Depending on your area, there are atleast $7500 back in rebates. In CA and with my income, I qualify for another $7500, bringing a brand new model 3 to only $22k.
It is one or the other in California. $7500 federal if you earn enough for sure, but there is a fairly low limit of income where you are no longer able to claim the $7500 in California.
I am pretty sure nobody will ever be able to claim full $15k off.

No more than we drive now I can't really justify a tesla. I am looking at buying one of the newer leafs since they are so cheap now and still have good range at that age point. The only real reason to buy one for us is being able to charge it at home for free from the solar.

I don't put gas in my X5 but once every 6 months so that will give you an idea how little I drive anymore as it is. Wife drives a bit more but not much. We will probably wait till bmw has something electric that we actually want. The I8 as the only one I have really liked so far and they discontinued that.

It is one or the other in California. $7500 federal if you earn enough for sure, but there is a fairly low limit of income where you are no longer able to claim the $7500 in California.
I am pretty sure nobody will ever be able to claim full $15k off.
The limit for myself, with a family of 4, is $111k/yr, which I am under. It does not state about being one or the other. There is a federal credit, and a state credit.

1687106267813.png

And of course fuel.

For the short range your talking about the leaf is what I consider a good idea but that range the batteries are showing is scary considering how many good examples are running around here.

Also the 2018 and newer are the ones we have been looking at. Much nicer car and nice range. Used prices have been great around here.

Charging is a minor issue when driving 20 miles a week. If you need a car soon, look for a new car that qualified for the $7,500 federal tax credit (make sure you can benefit from the credit). If you can wait, I like the Aptera. Base model, with full solar panels. Around $26,000. Panels will provide all her charging needs if you can park in a sunny spot.

And of course fuel.

What about a plug-in hybrid vs. 100% electric? Many of them of at least a 20-mile range on battery.

The Leafs keep catching my eye as well. What I gathered is the first generation or two did not have an adequate battery cooling system, particularly in warmer climates, which lead to reducing SOH (state of health) therefore reduced range.

A 40-mile range would handle 95% of my daily driving and a 60-mile range would be 99%.

As long as she doesn’t need to drive full range each day, because 600 watts max on the suburban, won’t recharge a 30kWh pack in less than 3 days.

You can’t charge an EV with 600 watts. An EVSE charger won’t even turn on without an AC outlet with 15 amps (roughly 1700 watts).

If you are thinking you can wire solar panels or DC power directly to an EV, it won’t work. People have been trying to do that for years and there is no easy way to do that.

Back