diy solar

diy solar

Paralleling the EG4 PowerPro Wall battery.

FilterGuy

Solar Engineering Consultant - EG4 and Consumers
NOTE: After learning more about the PowerPro battery and its capabilities, I have updated this and the follow-on posts for clarity and correctness.

There has been a bit of discussion on paralleling the EG4 PowerPro battery. This and the following posts show many of the most common configurations.

The PowerPro battery is in the process of getting UL-certified for putting 3 in parallel using the internal Busbars and supplied cables. EG4 has also started the process of getting UL Certification of 5 in parallel.

If there is a need to go beyond 5 batteries in parallel, there are several options.
  • If using multiple EG4 18Kpv inverters, Each inverter can have a separate bank of up to 5 Batteries.
  • Multiple banks of up to 5 batteries can be linked together in parallel with a fused balancing link (Max 200A fuse)
  • External busbars can be used to parallel multiple batteries, just like any other battery.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For PowerPro batteries with a single EG4 18Kpv, here are several possible configurations using the internal busbars.

1693421189043.png
1693421218567.png
1693421349362.png

Last edited:
NOTE: After learning more about the PowerPro battery and its capabilities, I have updated this for clarity and correctness.

Here are configurations using two EG4 18Kpv inverters and up to 5 EG4 PowerPro batteries.

1693421480267.png

1693421512218.png

1693421560807.png

Last edited:
NOTE: After learning more about the PowerPro battery and its capabilities, I have updated this for clarity and correctness.

Here are configurations with 3 EG4 18Kpvs and up to power Pro batteries.
1693421665995.png
1693421702458.png

Last edited:

1693421782704.png

Configurations with Split Battery Banks
The 18Kpv is capable of operation in parallel with each inverter having an isolated battery bank. This gives the flexibility of creating many different layouts with large numbers of batteries. Any of the single inverter configurations above can be used to parallel multiple inverters.
Note that this feature allows for distributing the inverters and banks into physically separate spaces.

The following are a few examples.
1693421904615.png

1693421927876.png

1693421954374.png
1693421999030.png

1693422025830.png

Last edited:
Isn't there a 3 battery limit before you need to use a busbar to not overload the supplied cables/connectors ?

This is amazing - thank you for clarifying the many different configurations, a very versatile product line

I wonder why @Will Prowse used a fuse when combining 2 of these batteries together? Is that just good insurance?

The manual shows 4 batteries in parallel.
From the manual currently available on the website - "up to 3 batteries are supported in parallel when connected to a single inverter or 4
batteries in parallel when connected to 2 inverters, or up to 5 batteries in parallel when connected to 3
inverters."

This is amazing - thank you for clarifying the many different configurations, a very versatile product line

I wonder why @Will Prowse used a fuse when combining 2 of these batteries together? Is that just good insurance?
There is a t-class fuse only for the server rack towers bus bar to powepro bus bar. The conductor and bus bar size for each pack to inverter is designed not to need one. The built in breaker and BMS OVPD is plenty.

So, no fuse between the powerpro batteries on my system

There is a t-class fuse only for the server rack towers bus bar to powepro bus bar. The conductor and bus bar size for each pack to inverter is designed not to need one. The built in breaker and BMS OVPD is plenty.

So, no fuse between the powerpro batteries on my system
That makes sense, than you!

I appreciate the drawings on different layout options. I am curious on the 4 battery configuration also. I had thought the internal busbars were only designed for 3 packs.

For those of you following this thread: I have learned more about the PowerPro and it's capabilities that I did not understand before. Consequently, I have updated the four original posts with new (and hopefully clearer) information.

I still think you are wrong, the issue is that the 'master battery' if you will, can only support having two other batteries connected to it because of the cables and connectors. There are only two connectors on the battery therefore one must go to battery two and three and the other must go to the inverter. However this may lead to the possibility of being able to use six batteries per inverter as you could possibly use the second set of lugs in the inverter to connect the other bank of three batteries. The inverter lugs are used as the "busbar"

There are only two connectors on the battery
EDIT: Corrected the type/brand of the DC connectors

There are four Degson Watertight connectors for the positive and four Degson Watertight connectors for the negative.
  • Two positives and two negatives for the inverter.
  • One positive and one negative for the previous battery
  • One positive and one negative for the next battery.

1694192872171.png

Last edited:
There are four Amphenol SurLok connectors for the positive and four Amphenol SurLok connectors for the negative.
  • Two positives and two negatives for the inverter.
  • One positive and one negative for the previous battery
  • One positive and one negative for the next battery.

View attachment 165346
Do you happen to know the wire gauge for the included Amphenol connectors? I need to order lugs for the bare ends of the cables.

Back