diy solar

diy solar

Probation Period to stop spammers

Alkaline

Solar Wizard
As much as this is going to annoy, I think the fourm needs to impement the probation rule where anyone new has to wait 15 or 30 days before they can post.

I think this will stop the spammer bots.

Also limit posting by user to max of 5/day until they are at least 6 months old.

I ran a RC off road forum in the Mid 2010's and it was the only way to stop the "enlarge your pp" spam bots. Banning IP did nothing.

I don't think a delay is necessary, but some limit on number of posts would make them easier to ignore, not having dig to find real posts.
Coupled with something to detect and at least slow massive creation of new IDs, since multiple users would be more effective spam than multiple posts.

As much as this is going to annoy, I think the fourm needs to impement the probation rule where anyone new has to wait 15 or 30 days before they can post.

Also limit posting by user to max of 5/day until they are at least 6 months old.

I ran a RC off road forum in the Mid 2010's and it was the only way to stop the "enlarge your pp" spam bots. Banning IP did nothing.

What?

Why you no want gigantic solar powered pee pee make love life better get old flame back??

I don't think a delay is necessary, but some limit on number of posts would make them easier to ignore, not having dig to find real posts.
Coupled with something to detect and at least slow massive creation of new IDs, since multiple users would be more effective spam than multiple posts.

I just blocked the offenders. Quick and easy

Yep - it's a pain the way these newborn's keep you up at night and then mess up your favourite forum ;)

Seriously though...
It would limit the bots for sure, but I respond to quite a few new members that have an immediate problem - e.g. the "I woke up this morning and it's -5C outside and my battery is not charging - what is wrong" type queries that wouldn't be possible with such a long delay.

Maybe it is possible to prevent new threads being started by the same person with the same or similar words in the subject?

BTW … Did you ever hear if that “ enlargement” thing worked ..? Asking for a friend..

The only problem with a delay is the people needing help that find the forum and are dead in the water without some advice are going to get hurt by the delay before posting.

Also spammer bots have infinite patience. I'm sure there is an algorithm on some of them to make an account and come back later to post.

This is a very free forum , I often here calls for restrictions one way or another, generally I'm against them. I really enjoy the light touch moderation style

I'm worried that might put off new members... I know if I'd have had to wait 30 days to post I wouldn't be here today!

It would limit the bots for sure, but I respond to quite a few new members that have an immediate problem - e.g. the "I woke up this morning and it's -5C outside and my battery is not charging - what is wrong" type queries that wouldn't be possible with such a long delay.

Maybe it is possible to prevent new threads being started by the same person with the same or similar words in the subject?

Maybe a few more mods to clear the spam quicker would be a good solution?

SeaGal you'd make for a good member of staff, you are fair

Back