diy solar

diy solar

Probation Period to stop spammers

Already installed. So are several other systems. It's a balancing act... You wouldn't believe how many are already stopped before you notice.
It's one of the things a forum with close to 100k users just has to deal with, and I think we're doing ok for the moment. There are always a few that get through the maze, but it's a very small percentage at the moment.

15 to 30 days?

A lot of people come on here with issues. That's a long time to wait. I've also seen new members contribute right out of the chute.
Now, I can see a new thread limit in the first X amount of days.

See spam, report spam. There's only so many hours in the day and I do have a regular job, so I can't read every thread. There are some regular forum members that are really good about reporting the spam and we clean those quickly. As upnorthandpersonal said, we catch a lot of bots/spammers before they are ever allowed to post. But these evil people are very creative, so we can't catch them all.

Already installed. So are several other systems.

Was it already installed before yesterday?

This recent spam blast was repeated title and contents.
High correlation among multiple posts would be a strong indication.
Something like turnitin.com for plagiarism, just within the forum would be sufficient. A single spam post isn't a problem, and if compared against other user names too, should really squash it. An N^2 problem (all new posts vs. all existing posts), but start comparing to most recent posts and work backwards. Actually, start by comparing to already identified spam posts, "the usual suspects".

Concur that limiting new posts would hose the people who are down without power who found this site by frantically googling solutions.

Was it already installed before yesterday?

Yes, although the threshold is likely a bit high. These systems get adjusted over time - same as the approval process. We adapt.

Actually, start by comparing to already identified spam posts, "the usual suspects".

Yep, this is done - and this nukes many spam accounts at the same time.

We did this on d2jsp 20 years ago and it doesn't do anything. spammers just make random accounts and then go back to them in a month, even years. they have no reason to need to post right away like real users usually do. On large forums or websites they'll make thousands of accounts and let them sit for years, no problems.

Some of the best methods already in place here, more sophisticated things that are pretty new.
Most simple one that has always been around is larger flood control first few posts
- wait 5+ mins to make another post until 15 posts.. and then lower post timeout to whatever (30 seconds or w/e it is now)

also mod approving first post or first few posts.. etc makes it very simple but requires more staff

15 to 30 days?

A lot of people come on here with issues. That's a long time to wait. I've also seen new members contribute right out of the chute.
Now, I can see a new thread limit in the first X amount of days.
also this is too true.. that has to be nearly everyone, otherwise you just sit and browse as guest if you have nothing to say.

How about minimum of 1 hour between posts until the member hits 10 posts.
Again, not a good idea for problem solving. It's not the posts that are an issue, it's the threads. A new member looking for help might start one thread but have a lot of posts in a short time just giving info and answering questions.

If they are going to restrict, I would say one or two new threads in the first 24 hours, or something like that. It would take some dedication to work around that.

also this is too true.. that has to be nearly everyone, otherwise you just sit and browse as guest if you have nothing to say.
I browsed and read as a guest for months before I joined. I don't bother joining a forum until I have a reason to make a post.

I browsed and read as a guest for months before I joined. I don't bother joining a forum until I have a reason to make a post.
Same, for a bit over a year here. I'm a forum addict going back since 1990s and even contributed to phpbb and ipb softwares ?
I joined to comment in a big mini split HVAC thread after reading like 20 pages of it lol

Got a spammer on the forums now, posted a few times no staff is online

If you have a member rank when someone first joins.. "noobie" or whatever you call it, first 10 posts. Give them a larger flood control.. 5 mins between posts or even more.
After first 10 posts or maybe 5 posts, their member rank changes to "New Member" and then continues as it is now

Back