diy solar

diy solar

QO vs Homeline

I know I don't need it, but I want it.

Can't argue with that. 😊

I'm no expert (if that's not obvious) but I have never seen a Square D panel fail.

Also some words that stuck with me spoken by an electrician 20 years ago

"I have never had to replace a Square D panel" in reference to burned-up stabs.

I do like the trip indicators on the QO unit though.

The only con IMO is cost. That's it.

Not to start a war but theirs this. Nothing is certain in this world.

I did the same, I know QO would have been a better choice. But Homeline was good enough and a huge improvement from the Zinsco.

Depends when one installed the QO given the recall...

I hope that you saved those Zinsco breakers. They are worth good money.

Sold them and it paid fo the new panel, additional breakers and mast.

Not to start a war but theirs this. Nothing is certain in this world.

Depends when one installed the QO given the recall...

Sold them and it paid fo the new panel, additional breakers and mast.
Yup, I remember that recall. It didn't affect any of my projects, luckily.
And glad that you got your money's worth out of those breakers.

I have Eaton Cutler-Hammer in my house. Because that's what was here. And they're good, just very hard to get breakers for easily.

I have Eaton Cutler-Hammer in my house. Because that's what was here. And they're good, just very hard to get breakers for easily.
I have a sub panel from them that was installed when I bought the house. I've sourced breakers from my local HD and amazon at a cheaper price.

Nothing can be as bad as Square D Trilliant.

1714943807460.png

That is what is my panel in my house. Yech.

A basic 15 amp breaker is near $100 now.

I may rip it out and replace it with QO some day. When given a choice, QO for me.

Mike C.

Used former neighbor as GC to put an addition on the house. His subs, including electrical, and they used a Square D disconnect on the meter line but HO for the new panel. Upgrading the shop's panel for solar and I got HO based on their usage.

My main disappointment with Homeline is PON breakers sagging especially when you have a hole stack of them, and the panel cover being crappy and requiring 2.5 hands to put on and remove.

Do QO panel covers have hangers to hold them up before you put the screws in? And do they have any better screws than the Homeline self tapping ones?

I'd probably go with QO if I hadn't already started with Homeline, but I'm not bothered by the aluminum bus bar. Aluminum is a good conductor and we should use more of it.

My main disappointment with Homeline is PON breakers sagging especially when you have a hole stack of them, and the panel cover being crappy and requiring 2.5 hands to put on and remove.
I put in two HOM subpanels using PON load centers.
But I didn't buy the PON breakers, it is a solution in search of a problem IMO.

Nice for GFCI breakers, I guess, no pigtail.

Panel quality has gone down considerably over the last 20 years.

I have 2 QO main and sub pannels in my house and there 14yrs old. I dont recall them being a copper buss bar.

Recently I got a homeline from HD for a cabin. I dont see it as inferior of a product. At my local HD they have HL and QO pannels and breakers of all sizes. The cost for A QO setup is about 20%more. For my offgrid pannel I dont really see the need for a QO setup...as if I ever have problems il just turn the inverter off and change the setup. My inverter is only on when I'm there.

My main panel is a late 80's vintage FP. Should replace it but most of the circuits have been moved over to an Eaton sub panel.

QO are UL/CSA listed for up to 48vdc. And Square D certified to 125vdc.
QOU are UL/CSA listed for up to 60vdc and Square D certified to 125vdc.
The Schneider datasheets don't clearly show that from what I can see.

Where do we find this spec?

Mike C.

Back