diy solar

diy solar

Quattro 48/10000, SOK, ESS Problem

I would think bad breaker but you said you tested in different circuits.

I’ll be interested to hear what you find.

Interesting day today with this problem. The behavior seemed to be normal through the night and until the SOC got above the Min SOC by 5% or so due to PV activity. Once that point was reached, it went back and forth between Grid lost with no breaker trip and Grid lost with the breaker tripping (which I reset when it happened) - sometimes it would go 30 minutes between faults.

Once the SOC dropped back below the Min SoC this evening, the breaker would trip each time the Inverter attempted to use the incoming A/C - it was impossible to get to a charging state. Again, tried this on two separate circuits/breakers.

The only way to get the units (I tried this on both units that I have) was to remove the ESS Assistant from the configuration. Once the assistant was removed, everything started working as expected. I'll just leave it without the assistant for now and turn off the A/C early in the day so that I have room for the PV charging tomorrow.

Houston, we have a problem.

PXL_20231110_165324777.jpg

PXL_20231110_165314045.jpg

Now what?

Attachments

• PXL_20231110_165314045.jpg
    PXL_20231110_165314045.jpg
    844.9 KB · Views: 0
To close the loop on this.......

These units did not like using an ESS Assistant. When changing the configuration to use a Virtual Switch, rather than ESS, they started behaving as expected. Here are the Virtual Switch settings I am using:

1700745864055.png

Steve at Backwoods Solar was very helpful. I called with a question about locating a repair depot (assuming that I had damaged the hardware somehow) and he quickly logged into my box, made a few configuration changes and everything started working. Sometimes the best value is not necessarily the best price.

What is really confusing for me was that I have had ESS running on a Multiplus 24/2000 for about a year with no problems. It adjusts the Active SOC based on the solar production just as I would expect - the feature I was hoping to use on these Quattros.

Yeah Ashli does not make much sense to me, especially if it’s been working find.

Had you updated the firmware recently?

Latest firmware. As a point of interest, these ESS settings work as expected - no problems - on my recently purchased MultiPlus II 48/5000 from CC - also with the latest firmware.

I believe this to be a firmware problem in the Quattro 48/10000. It's unfortunate that reporting problems to Victron only seems to be available via the dealer. I don't expect the folks I purchased these from to ever follow up with Victron.

I believe this to be a firmware problem in the Quattro 48/10000. It's unfortunate that reporting problems to Victron only seems to be available via the dealer. I don't expect the folks I purchased these from to ever follow up with Victron.
Yeah, sorry about that. Can't say it's something I've ever seen before. @sunshine_eggo any ideas?

One other option might be to ask in the Victron Community (https://community.victronenergy.com/index.html). I know that Victron employees frequent there.

Thought I would update this thread, just in case someone might find it helpful.

As I mentioned in my last post, I purchased a MultiPlus II 48/5000 from Current Connected and verified that that unit, with the latest firmware and same ESS settings used in the Quattro units worked correctly. That was enough incentive, that I ordered a second MultiPlus II 48/5000 from Inverters R Us (whew this is getting spendy) set them up split phase and confirmed that also worked as expected.

After a couple weeks of installing the sub-panel with the help of a master electrician from ‘Ask an Expert Online’ (well worth the $40) the system is up and running.

I submitted a warranty claim on the Quattro units with both Victron and Inverters R Us. Support was really great in that shipping for the units on their factory pallets was very expensive for me - so they used their shipping account to schedule a pickup at my house and billed me at their price. They have had the units just short of a month now. I don’t know when they will decide what about the warranty. They did indicate that I was outside the return period, which I guess is fair, though the original post here was within that period. They sent me a copy of the ESS guide and suggested that was the problem – that doesn’t seem likely with the other units working correctly (including a Multiplus II 24/2000 that’s been running about a year). Victron Energy doesn’t seem interested in engaging in any form.

I have been using MQTT and NodeRed installed on the Cerbo. I love the way Victron is so open. Maybe I’ll post a little on setting up and using that.

I’ll post again when I know more.

Attachments

• PXL_20240129_202231316.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240129_202231316.MP.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back