diy solar

diy solar

Redundancy question 2 Sol-Ark 15Ks in parallel - if one parallel inverter stops does the other automatically keep system going

muaddib721

I’m running two Sol-Ark 15Ks in parallel. If the slave craps out will the Master keep running as long as the loads are within range of one unit or will the system shut down. And if the master shuts down, for some reason, will the slave takeover as long as the loads are within the limits of one unit?  I can’t find the answers in the manual or on Sol-Ark‘s website.  Unless of course I’m missing something. 

I never tried it on a Sol-Ark specifically, but did you ever try a test to shut off or disable one inverter (on either master or slave, as two tests) to observe the behavior?

I have tested it on a pair of EG4 6500EX's for example, and I was required to go into the one standing inverter that is running, to disable the stacking mode (set back to SiG on Option 28 for single mode), so it is not looking for an remote clock signal to read sync signal waveform from.

I would think the Sol-Ark is no different, just go into Settings and to the Parallel tab, and untick the 'Parallel' check box, and save, then the inverter will operate in single mode again.

I have not seen an inverter that will auto-failover if one inverter is taken offline, but not to say that it could be coming down the pipe someday. Server clusters in the datacenter world do that all the time when they see a node heartbeat go down, they can switch states and failover automatically, but I don't think there are any inverters on the market that can do active to degraded failover automagically yet, but it would just be a setting change away for now.

Last edited:
I never tried it on a Sol-Ark specifically, but did you ever try a test to shut off or disable one inverter (on either master or slave, as two tests) to observe the behavior?

I have tested it on a pair of EG4 6500EX's for example, and I was required to go into the one standing inverter that is running, to disable the stacking mode (set back to SiG on Option 28 for single mode), so it is not looking for an remote clock signal to read sync signal waveform from.

I would think the Sol-Ark is no different, just go into Settings and to the Parallel tab, and untick the 'Parallel' check box, and save, then the inverter will operate in single mode again.

I have not seen an inverter that will auto-failover if one inverter is taken offline, but not to say that it could be coming down the pipe someday. Server clusters in the datacenter world do that all the time when they see a node heartbeat go down, they can switch states and failover automatically, but I don't think there are any inverters on the market that can do active to degraded failover automagically yet, but it would just be a setting change away for now.
FYI
My Victron Inverter RS Smart 48/6000 do.

I asked Sol-Ark the same question a while back. No, you have to change to single inverter operation like Samsonite801 said.

It could be a two versus three unit thing. Like my Growatt's. With two in parallel. If one goes down, the other does too. With three or more. As long as there are two still running, everything keeps going.
I assume this has to do with whether or not all communications is lost.

Back