diy solar

diy solar

Required Action for all users: Disable all email notifications right now! Thank you

Sunny Rio

What's with this notice? No explanation given. The email notifications are working just fine. If you don't want the server load, presumably you'd just switch it off at the server? If they do stop working, I'll just leave. A forum without an email notification means I'll never see the answers. I'm not going to check 100 forums every day to see if there's a reply.

Required Action for all users: Disable all email notifications right now! Thank you​

I disabled email notifications when this request first came out. But I still get email notifications…

There was a thread discussing it.

Basically, the email volume is so large, it's costing him $1,000/month.

People are flagging notifications as spam and getting the server blacklisted.

It can't be switched off at the server. The forum software doesn't allow it.

Given that you've only been here a day, perhaps you should cut your losses if you can't be arsed to check in periodically to see the alerts to your watched threads.

I disabled email notifications when this request first came out. But I still get email notifications…

You have to disable watched threads notifications.

1681110448017.png

Long story short, Will (who pays out of pocket for the website and this forum) is dealing with a potentially braindead webhost that blocks this entire site when this site gets flagged as sending spam and/or to spam emails. Will is looking for a long term solution, but the only short term solution is what was asked. Disabling emails entirely means no email based password resets either, so thats not a viable option.

Whenever you open/refresh the site any replies and such will show under the "bell" next to your username.

There has been *at least* one thread on this topic thats gone into extensive detail (perhaps too extensive). I don't know if it would be good, bad, or even possible to have that message link to the thread.

I did search first, but couldn't find anything. And no, it's not convenient for me to come check this site, since it's 1 of 100 places I go for all sorts of topics. Other forums seem to manage emails ok, I guess a new host is needed. If the email was sent from a different server, it wouldn't block the site. But the main cause is the moronic filters thinking a notification is spam.

P.S. the message really should say something like "because it's costing $1000 a day". People might obey an instruction if it gives a reason. I certainly never obey anything unless a reason is given and I agree with it (and that includes the law).

While I did follow the request as soon as I noticed it, I’d also like to echo a recent post somewhere here that mentioned donations.

I may be a newly-registered member, but I’ve been reading here for months and have learned more here about end-user solar than anywhere else. It’s certainly “worth the price of admission” to me and I’d happily donate.

I did search first, but couldn't find anything. And no, it's not convenient for me to come check this site, since it's 1 of 100 places I go for all sorts of topics. Other forums seem to manage emails ok, I guess a new host is needed. If the email was sent from a different server, it wouldn't block the site. But the main cause is the moronic filters thinking a notification is spam.

P.S. the message really should say something like "because it's costing $1000 a day". People might obey an instruction if it gives a reason. I certainly never obey anything unless a reason is given and I agree with it (and that includes the law).
Truly sorry this is so inconvenient for you we set this site up for your beck and call but obviously we missed the mark maybe you should stick to the other 99 places but if your set on a 100 places I’m sure somebody here can suggest a place for you to go?

Not my problem. Send me emails, I'm happy. Don't send me emails, I don't get any replies, I go to a more organised place. My setting remains left switched on.

Not my problem. Send me emails, I'm happy. Don't send me emails, I don't get any replies, I go to a more organised place. My setting remains left switched on.
So, even after learning the explanation for being asked to switch it off, you in your need for convenience, decide No you won't. Interesting attitude you have there.

I'm the same, I'm a member off dozens of different forums, I also can't check every single forum I've posted on just to see if there is a reply, so rely on email notifications.

I only found this thread because I've been seeing this message for sometime, no explanation so had been ignoring it, but today decided to do a search and found this thread.

I will check and see what I'm subscribed to, and remove any that are no longer applicable.

Are emails sent every time there is an update to a thread or only once after each visit to that thread?

I had six emails yesterday for the same thread, pretty sure I didn't visit the thread every time, all it requires is one email, which is what most forums do, send one notification email regardless of how many replies until you visit the thread, then it they will send another notification email, this will cut down on the amount of emails if not already done that way.

Yes, one per thread would be a lot cheaper. I belong to a few forums which do it like that, I just have to remember to visit even if I don't want to read what's in that post (some forums put the reply in the email).

Another way would be a daily or weekly digest, any watched threads, and you get a daily, or weekly update. This would cut emails massively while still allowing members to have email notifications.

There is no point in a forum which doesn't tell it's users when there's a reply.
I find the incessant emails rather maddening and a clutter in my inbox. I have mine turned off by default, have for years on all the forums I've been on. I don't see how a piled mess of emails is any more useful than just opening the site on occasion and checking the site notifications directly.

It is like those people who have notifications on their phone for everything non-stop. Most are ignored because most are noise, and the important ones get missed in the mess too.

But, to each his own.

I only selected to watch this thread, but yet I get an email notification, other forums give you the option per watched thread.

1. Watch without receiving an email
  2. Watch and receive email notifications

Seems to me that the forum software is a major part of the issue.

There is no point in a forum which doesn't tell it's users when there's a reply.
Sure there is. Some of us are entirely capable of recalling that we posted things and check back to see if a reply was made. I by habit have always turned off all notifications to any Forum I am a member of. I frankly see no point in them. Rather annoying to get automated emails.

Oh BTW. The Forum flags any Thread you posted to with a miniature avatar icon beside the Thread's Title. Makes it easy to see when doing a quick scan of new Threads if you have commented previously.

Might work if you use only a handful of forums. Might work if you don't care for a reply 2 weeks after you posted it. But I'm more organised than that and prefer the computer to work for me, not the other way round. Every notification of anything from anyone comes through email. And it's not like a phone at all. It's a list of emails, not a sound when I get one. I read them all when I wish.

As for the multiple emails, I got only one just now, and it said "You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages." So I'm not sure why Ron-ski got 6 emails for one thread.

ARGH! This forum is removing the double space between sentences. How infuriating!

Join the forum then complain about the forum. Lesser people may have just chosen to leave the forum. But I suppose you’re sticking it out to “make changes from within” or something? Im not sure the point here.
No, join the forum, complain about the forum, continue to use it since it still works despite the moan about turning off emails.

Actually all I did was ask why we were asked. And then of course the argumentative lot appear. And the psychics who can tell they have a message without an email.

Back