diy solar

diy solar

Required Action for all users: Disable all email notifications right now! Thank you

You asked then stated you weren’t going to change your settings. So I suppose it turned from an inquiry to a statement.

You asked then stated you weren’t going to change your settings. So I suppose it turned from an inquiry to a statement.
No, I asked why. I never said I was going to obey it. The thread was a question to determine why and nothing more.

You still get emails from any threads you had notifications on before you made the change. On those threads you would have to go in manually and “unwatch” them.
Very broken. The master tickbox should turn email on or off. It does anywhere else.

So ... I do this and still get email notifications.
View attachment 144050
Have you followed instruction in post #3?

The issue was the sheer volume of emails, some people/services reporting them as spam, and then have our mail server blacklisted so no email would get properly delivered (including critical things like password reset emails).
Yes, there are providers such as Amazon, but they don't want to deal with a forum - we asked. Several other options are under investigation. So in the mean time we asked people to turn off email notifications, and it helped. Many people don't use it to begin with.

Edit: yes, there was a thread with all the details and discussions - it was removed because everything was said, and it just ended up going in circles and no longer productive. Some of the details discussed there wouldn't be good to have publicly available forever anyway.

Not my problem. Send me emails, I'm happy. Don't send me emails, I don't get any replies, I go to a more organised place. My setting remains left switched on.
Just be sure to mark all of those emails as "spam" when you get tired of having a flooded inbox... it's what @Will Prowse would want you to do. After all, it's "not your problem."

I noticed very early on that this forum software produces an excessive amount of email, so I turned off notifications. I found it very easy to check the site and click on "Watched Threads" to see if I have any replies.

We were having millions of emails going out to users who have not been active in the last 180 days. Now email notifications only go out to people who have been active recently.

Next issue was people who opted-in to email notifications would mark them as spam and our IP address was getting black listed every week or so. It got so bad that the entire forum had to shut down.

Now I am tracking every single spam complaint with a special program and I am either banning the users here on the forum directly or spam cleaning them. It is working wonders! It has been about a week of no issues. I am hoping this has solved the issue.

The notice is helping a ton! The amount of emails going out keeps going down each day. Really happy I do not have to spend thousands on email host.

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention that there's nothing unique about this forum re: being blacklisted after messages are marked as spam. It's a major problem for LOTS of organizations. For instance, colleges that offer to forward email for their alums -- the alum's spam gets forwarded along with the "good stuff" and the college gets blacklisted when the recipient (properly) marks them as spam. The blacklisted college can no longer email their own faculty or current students. In the end, many colleges just give up and discontinue the forwarding service.

For all those wondering how to handle a worthless loser like this "Sunny Rio" fellow, just hover over his username and click ignore.

No, join the forum, complain about the forum, continue to use it since it still works despite the moan about turning off emails.

Actually all I did was ask why we were asked. And then of course the argumentative lot appear. And the psychics who can tell they have a message without an email.
I find it incredibly easy to add a shortcut for the what's new section in a folder on my home screen (https://diysolarforum.com/whats-new/)
then I can easily access it and see most recent threads along with notifications...
I have grown to despise email over the years, I hardly check it.

Ps welcome to the best forum, if you decide to leave don't let an arc hit ya on the way out ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230410-114241.jpg
    Screenshot_20230410-114241.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230410-114000.jpg
    Screenshot_20230410-114000.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230410-114225.jpg
    Screenshot_20230410-114225.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 6
Back