diy solar

diy solar

Roof Layout Feedback & IronRidge Mounting Recommendation

Old_Skewler

Solar Enthusiast
This is my roof and the proposed layout for a total of (12) Panel to be wired in a 6S2P configuration for a total of 4,860W installed PV capacity.

I tried to position the panels so that one could still safely move around the roof to clean up gutters and the chimney.

Roof Views_04.JPG

Roof Layout Model Page 001.jpgRoof Layout Model Page 002.jpg

I would like to get feedback on the layout and configuration and if possible some IronRidge racking ideas for this proposed layout.

Thanks in advance!

No issues with the configuration and layout.
I have no input for the racking, sorry.

Last edited:
What’s the chiney for?

Cleaning the flue can be done from the inside, no need to split the array like that.

Also cleaning the gutters can be done without walking on the lower 7’ of the roof.

What state are you in and are you getting an inspection?
Here we only need 18" from the ridge and 3' from one side for a walk way.

If you can make the panels fit in portrait you'll save money on racking.

I'd stay clear of the vent to avoid shadows. I actually relocated my plumbing vents when I was doing my roof mounts.

What’s the chiney for?

Cleaning the flue can be done from the inside, no need to split the array like that.
The vent is for the woodstove and it needs to be cleaned from the outside.

I don't think I could layout the 12 panels safely on one half of the roof only.

Also cleaning the gutters can be done without walking on the lower 7’ of the roof.
My intent was to keep a greater clearance by the roof eave.

Either keep the panels below the woodstove pipe or move the woodstove pipe to the other roof face. The way drawn you will have all sorts of shading issues. And as previously mentioned, use portrait layout on the panels.

What state are you in and are you getting an inspection?
This is in NYS and I am not getting an inspection.

Here we only need 18" from the ridge and 3' from one side for a walk way.
Similar requirements in NYS, I will get better familiarized.

If you can make the panels fit in portrait you'll save money on racking.

I'd stay clear of the vent to avoid shadows. I actually relocated my plumbing vents when I was doing my roof mounts.

I am not able to relocate the woodstove vent but I am able to layout the panels in portrait in addition to shifting them towards north end (right hand side in the drawings) to avoid the woodstove vent shadow.

Roof Layout Model.jpg

Either keep the panels below the woodstove pipe or move the woodstove pipe to the other roof face. The way drawn you will have all sorts of shading issues. And as previously mentioned, use portrait layout on the panels.

Moving the woodstove vent is out of question but I was able to move the panels around in addition to portrait layout.

Considering the cabin orientation (roof plane to mount panels facing East), what do you think about the revised layout?

Moving the woodstove vent is out of question but I was able to move the panels around in addition to portrait layout.

Considering the cabin orientation (roof plane to mount panels facing East), what do you think about the revised layout?

Panels as shown will produce next to nothing in energy as you have them on the north-east face ( maybe 1-2 hours of low production in summer, winter, basically near zero )

Move to the other side ( Southwest ) and addresses the above and the stove pipe shading issue

Panels as shown will produce next to nothing in energy as you have them on the north-east face ( maybe 1-2 hours of low production in summer, winter, basically near zero )

Move to the other side ( Southwest ) and addresses the above and the stove pipe shading issue
I don’t think moving them is the solution…
Tilting them at about 55degrees may help, but that stovepipe will shade the north side all day.

By the time you are done. You will have both sides of the roof covered with panels. And probably will have moved the stove pipe.
It will be a fun journey.

I have the panels where the cabin allows me to. The other roof is much flatter and smaller , I do not think it would help with the production and I would have to extend the entire length of the roof with one string.

Also not clear what other above recommendation you refer to: removing the woodstove pipe is simply not an option. Rotating the cabin is also not feasible.

I appreciate the feedback but it needs to be founded on my reality and limitations, not some textbook ideal problems.

Tilting them at about 55degrees may help, but that stovepipe will shade the north side all day.
The roof has a 5/12 slope towards East.
Roof Info.jpg

Could you clarify how you would tilt the panels? And I have moved the North Array about 9 feet from the stovepipe, do you think it will really shade the array all day? It is only about 3.5 Feet tall.

By the time you are done. You will have both sides of the roof covered with panels. And probably will have moved the stove pipe.
It will be a fun journey.
I can see how easily this prediction could turn into reality. A very slippery slope! I need to be careful here.

MPPT has (2) inputs, I think I will connect each array separately instead of combining them in a 6S2P configuration. I suspect this could help limit shadow issues with the parallel arrays.

Looks like you'd generate 5000KWH/year based on an azimuth of 70 degrees with a 22-degree tilt
I plugged in a 55 degree tilt and it falls off to 4059 KWH/year.

I used the PVwatts program it's estimated values have been spot on with the real output of my system.
Might pay to run a couple of simulations and see if you get more bang from the other roof even though it's flatter

Looks like you'd generate 5000KWH/year based on an azimuth of 70 degrees with a 22-degree tilt
I plugged in a 55 degree tilt and it falls off to 4059 KWH/year.
How did you get the azimuth of 70 degrees?

I am using SunCalc.orgh and for my location it gives me Azimuth 190 degree, varying depending on the month of the year.

1667580539565.png

I used the PVwatts program it's estimated values have been spot on with the real output of my system.
Might pay to run a couple of simulations and see if you get more bang from the other roof even though it's flatter
Very good idea. I need to try their calculators.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
I run both roof scenarios and this is what PVWatts calculated:

Main Roof:
Roof Pitch: 22.6 Degrees
Azimuth: 78 Degrees
Annual Production: 4,800 kWh/Year
NREL Run#1.jpg

Back Roof:
Roof Pitch: 10 Degrees
Azimuth: 258 Degrees
Annual Production: 5,237 kWh/Year
1667581705194.png

About 400 kWh/Year in additional capacity. If I could install the (12) panels in the back roof.

Food for thoughts.

The roof has a 5/12 slope towards East.
View attachment 119105

Could you clarify how you would tilt the panels? And I have moved the North Array about 9 feet from the stovepipe, do you think it will really shade the array all day? It is only about 3.5 Feet tall.
Ideally, the panels would have a large tilt to the south...
So instead of a eastern tilt that mainly gains morning sun angle, a south tilt frame set would produce better results, however, the high tilt would reduce the number of panels that would fit... due to shading from the leading panels.

What are the dimensions on the small (more southern oriented) side of the roof?

That side has better sun if you can make the panels fit.

What are the dimensions on the small (more southern oriented) side of the roof?

That side has better sun if you can make the panels fit.
I have to verify the dimensions and check if the layout works on that smaller roof.

Back