diy solar

diy solar

RV Inverter Lithium upgrade

John Glowacki

Go Power Industrial Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger - 2,000 Watts - 100 Amps - 12v - I'm interested in installing this unit into our fifth wheel RV, along with one Battle Born 100amp Lithium battery. The inverter would be used for very little to begin with, until I add more batteries and solar in the future. As I understand it, this Go Power unit would take care of charging from shore power/solar, 12v converter when plugged into shore, as well as 110v inverter and switch. Of my many questions: I'm looking for opinions on this Go Power unit. Are there disadvantages to this plan? If I install one Battle Born now, and add another next year, will I have a problem with unmatched batteries? Will Prowse has explained the problems with vehicle charging Lithium batteries. Would I have to disconnect the hot lead from my 7 pin RV trailer plug? I was hoping to find a DC-DC charger that was 10amp, so I could retain the vehicle charging abilities without running welding cable from my truck batteries. Lot of questions here, and I'm sure I'll have more.

A 2000W inverter will draw over 167A @12V for full power
The battleborn will shutdown if you exceed 100A
You'll have to watch what you power from the inverter

No personal experience with them, but go power doesn't seem to have the best regards from several folks. Good marketing department.

Renogy and Victron sell DCDC chargers with about 20 A draw, not the 10A you are looking for but I think doable with a 7 pin RV trailer plug.

I have a GoPower PWM solar charge controller in my trailer. It does an OK job and has been reliable. I'm throwing that out there to say that I haven't encountered any problems with _my_ GoPower setup that I've had for about 3 years. It charges dual 6v Trojan T-105 batteries. I get no more than about 6.9 amps of charge from my 170 watt solar panel. I use a 1000 watt Xantrex MSW inverter for select things like running the coffee pot, charging my laptop and charging a battery for cordless tools.

I'm in the design phase of upgrading my system and GoPower is not a brand that I'm considering. I think there are other options that are more cost effective.

That inverter/charger will not handle charging from solar. It's not a solar charge controller. I say that based on what I read on their website.

I changed my plane: I ordered a Victron Multiplus Compact 12/2000/80-50 120v and two Battle Born 100amp 12 LiFePO4 batteries. I'm installing a 200amp fuse between the parallel wired batteries and inverter. The future upgrade will be 400watts of solar and a MPPT charge controller.

Back