diy solar

diy solar

Sanford and Son junk yard solar setup

wme

Solar Enthusiast
We bought a new (to us) RV in the fall. Used it once and then winterized it. It has a solar set up installed.
2x100w flexible panels glued to the roof, a unknown "MPPT" controller and 2 GC2 6v 220ah batteries. A mid winter check showed the system was toast. 10v and 0 amps from the panels and 2 batteries that were badly bulged.
So I need to start from zero. So after a couple of weekends garage sales and estate sales, why yes Dear I would love to go a garage sale instead of fishing, I ended up with mostly two systems.
1. A 280w rigid panel UNK brand, an unknown 40 amp MPPT, a Renogy 2000w inverter, and an unknown 30 amp ATS.
2. 2x 100w rigid Chineseum panels, a Bouge 30 MPPT .
I bought new 2ea Vatrer 100ah Lifepo4 batteries and a Renogy 30 amp DC to DC MPPT charger. I still need fuses, wire, terminals and stuff.
Plan is to put the 280 panel on the roof and use the 100w panels as a ground mount when the RV is shaded.
Questions Panels parallel? 2 controllers? Does the inverter need the ATS?
15 years ago I installed a very basic system 60w panel and a sunsaver 10 amp pwm. That is the limit of my solar skills.

We bought a new (to us) RV in the fall. Used it once and then winterized it. It has a solar set up installed.
2x100w flexible panels glued to the roof, a unknown "MPPT" controller and 2 GC2 6v 220ah batteries. A mid winter check showed the system was toast. 10v and 0 amps from the panels and 2 batteries that were badly bulged.
So I need to start from zero. So after a couple of weekends garage sales and estate sales, why yes Dear I would love to go a garage sale instead of fishing, I ended up with mostly two systems.
1. A 280w rigid panel UNK brand, an unknown 40 amp MPPT, a Renogy 2000w inverter, and an unknown 30 amp ATS.
2. 2x 100w rigid Chineseum panels, a Bouge 30 MPPT .
I bought new 2ea Vatrer 100ah Lifepo4 batteries and a Renogy 30 amp DC to DC MPPT charger. I still need fuses, wire, terminals and stuff.
Plan is to put the 280 panel on the roof and use the 100w panels as a ground mount when the RV is shaded.
Questions Panels parallel? 2 controllers? Does the inverter need the ATS?
15 years ago I installed a very basic system 60w panel and a sunsaver 10 amp pwm. That is the limit of my solar skills.
Ats is needed if you want to automatically switch power if you plug in or start up a generator. If purely solar it's not essential.

Nice garage sales in your area.

Having two mppt controllers is more flexible. Series those chinesium panels.

Is the unknown mppt truly an mppt or a fake with USB ports?

Those flex panels have possibly bad connectors and if you cut wires they might sponge up sunshine too?

The controller looks to be real. no USB ports, all aluminum, adjustable.
We will know about the flex panels in 2 wks when the snow and mud is gone and I can move the RV.

The controller looks to be real. no USB ports, all aluminum, adjustable.
We will know about the flex panels in 2 wks when the snow and mud is gone and I can move the RV.
No sticker, model number to Google?

Hopefully you can utilize some effectively

That controller is not a big deal. I have 2 more to use, plus there is the Renogy DC to DC. I can send the 30amp back for another 30 days. Maybe change it out for a 50 amp unit and don't sweat any of the controllers.
The estate sale was good, what I called a garage sale was a friend of a friend thing. He was disillusioned with the magic of solar on his RV.

Sanford and Son... not many people know who that is any more.

Back