diy solar

diy solar

Seplos CAN BUS RS485 48v 200A 8S-16S BMS

Yep, seems so. And the top balance seems pretty good. All cells were above 3.5V at a certain point in time and none was above 3.65V.

Now wait for full discharge (until the BMS disconnects) and share the BMS information for the battery capacity in Ah.

But in general - with 15.42kWh charged into the battery it looks like your cells are pretty OK for 280Ah cells. The one with the lowest voltage on the chart above is likely the one with the least capacity. It will dictate the battery Ah capacity.

Out of curiosity - what cells are you using and where did you get them from?
I set the capacity to 280ah this morning at 100% charge. So that should be sorted now. I think my issue came from the fact I had to swap the BMS as the old one had a fault. When I did that I just swapped out without fully charging/discharging the cells first time round. So it probably messed up the internal settings.

Does this looks right?
This is the data I extract from my Sofar ME3000SP which charges my battery from 00.30 to 04.30

The SoC hits 98% at 3:37 and then the inverter keeps charging for another 60 minutes till 4:30; however the SoC doesn’t change
1675587982748.jpeg

1675588085823.jpeg

These are my settings
1675587841027.jpeg

Attachments

• 1675587866368.png
    1675587866368.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 4
You'll find that it's not charging it at all after that point - I have the same inverter. It just won't discharge until 4.31am. have you logged into Solarman to check the charging/discharge numbers? Looks like the battery charge current drops away

You'll find that it's not charging it at all after that point - I have the same inverter. It just won't discharge until 4.31am. have you logged into Solarman to check the charging/discharge numbers? Looks like the battery charge current drops away
The data shows it drops to 10A, which at ~54V is 500W for almost an hour; where is this 0.5kWh going? Should I set the inverter to stop charging around 95%?

The data shows it drops to 10A, which at ~54V is 500W for almost an hour; where is this 0.5kWh going? Should I set the inverter to stop charging around 95%?
The BMS should turn it off at 100% charge as should the inverter. Perhaps it's going into absorption mode?

The BMS should turn it off at 100% charge as should the inverter. Perhaps it's going into absorption mode?
98% means 5.6Ah remaining to 100%
It hits 98% an then it keeps charging at 10-5A for an hour without the SoC changing
Something doesn’t add up

You might have the same issue I had. The BMS/Sofar doesn't know when your batteries are full and it's assuming they are, but in fact there is still room. You can try what I did. Up the cell capacity to something big like 400Ah and charge for longer. The BMS will cut off the charging. Then at full charge reset the capacity down to 280Ah. That worked for me anyway as then it discharged down and recharged normally

You might have the same issue I had. The BMS/Sofar doesn't know when your batteries are full and it's assuming they are, but in fact there is still room. You can try what I did. Up the cell capacity to something big like 400Ah and charge for longer. The BMS will cut off the charging. Then at full charge reset the capacity down to 280Ah. That worked for me anyway as then it discharged down and recharged normally
I have just changed from 280Ah to 400Ah and the SoC has dropped from 67% to 46%; so I think it’s based on the remaining capacity
1675858089652.jpeg
1675857996121.png
I’ll see what happens when it charges tonight

It should calibrate the remaining capacity when the high-voltage disconnects kick in. On the next full discharge, it should calculate the battery capacity.

It should calibrate the remaining capacity when the high-voltage disconnects kick in. On the next full discharge, it should calculate the battery capacity.
The only problem is that I don’t have a way to full discharge it, my inverter only discharges to 10%.

The battery will overstate its SOC. The invertor will see it at like 40%, but it will disconnect due to the low voltage cell protection. Then the BMS calibration will happen and this will not happen again.

The battery will overstate its SOC. The invertor will see it at like 40%, but it will disconnect due to the low voltage cell protection. Then the BMS calibration will happen and this will not happen again.
No, the invertor is seeing the same SoC that the bms report

The moment I faked the capacity from 280Ah to 400Ah, the SoC changed from 66% to 46% because it retained the remaining capacity information (186Ah)

186/280 = 66%
186/400 = 46%

So when the inverter cuts off at 10% that would be with 10% of 400Ah remaining, which is 40Ah
In reality this will be 40/280 = 14%

When low voltage cut off happens the bms and inverter will think it’s at 10% but in reality it’s 14%

Last edited:
Once you fully charge the battery the SOC will be reset to 100%. This is how the BMS calibrates the full capacity point. Then after 280Ah discharge, it will be ~30%, but the battery will be empty.

Once the battery gets empty the BMS will calculate the actual capacity and reset the 0% SOC point.

Or at least this is what I expect. The expectations are based on the official documentation.

You are changing the wrong parameter, set the capacity as 280Ah if that's what you have, then change the SOC to 280Ah and let it discharge, as stated above, once its empty the LV disconnect will kick in, then give a full charge and the top end will be calibrated too.

Once you fully charge the battery the SOC will be reset to 100%. This is how the BMS calibrates the full capacity point. Then after 280Ah discharge, it will be ~30%, but the battery will be empty.

Once the battery gets empty the BMS will calculate the actual capacity and reset the 0% SOC point.

Or at least this is what I expect. The expectations are based on the official documentation.
You are changing the wrong parameter, set the capacity as 280Ah if that's what you have, then change the SOC to 280Ah and let it discharge, as stated above, once its empty the LV disconnect will kick in, then give a full charge and the top end will be calibrated too.
It will never hit LV disconnect unless I make the inverter think there is a lot more capacity

The only problem is that I don’t have a way to full discharge it, my inverter only discharges to 10%.
What kind of inverter do you have? why do you change battery type to lead acid? and aftter that you set voltgae charge and discharge, i think your battery bank will discharge to 0%

C559607C-7EB7-4286-9FB8-748AA4BFEDAA.png
Still waiting to reach 54.8V which is my ‘total overvoltage protection’
I did hit ‘total pressure high pressure alarm’ which I’ve set to 54.68V and it doesn suddenly drop to 9A at that moment, it drops progressively and it’s about 9A when it hits that voltage (it was already dropping before and it keeps dropping afterwards)

63mV deltaV at this point

Edit
The SoC has just jumped to 90%
1675921419666.png

Second edit:

It was charging at less than 1A when it stopped charging before reaching total voltage overprotection (54.8V)
1675925701676.jpeg

Last edited:
Back