diy solar

diy solar

Server rack batteries in boats and vans?

Swing

Hi all,

I am doubting to switch to serverrack batteries for vehicles, rather than custom made batteries.
So lets say I am using the battery within spec, including temperature and humidity, what would be the issues?
The front mounting points aren't enough, you would have to support them on the rear as well, which is fine.
Because I think the mean point is vibration.

These kind of batteries are all rated for UN38.3 so they can be safely transported.
And (because of that) internally they have structures that keep the cells in place, even if you would jump it.
By that i mean that cells could go up and hit the top, but they always seem to be kept well in place. (because it would cause a short)
Of course, UN38.3 is for transport when they are switched of, but still.

Things can get a bit rougher on boats and for example 4x4 vans.
But I am not talking about the dakar rally, I am talking about camper vans that may have 4x4 to get a bit further.
And I am talking bout boats (lets say up to 7 meter / 20feet or so) that are not used on sea, so will not see to many waves.

In the boats I would even like to use them as batteries for the motors. The continuous power output of the server rack batteries aren't that high, but if you have i.e. 4 it is typically good enough. I am not talking about speed boats here.

7 meter / 20feet or so) that are not used on sea, so will not see to many waves.
Waves on the ocean are most often much lower frequency though taller. Freshwater can be much worse on any battery.

Yes I get what you mean. Tiny waves, but highrr frequency.
In average though, most boating is pretty smooth.

It is about the vibrations, and in the vans on a dirt road probably worse.

By looking at the youtube videos with them open, you can see the batteries are strappes in nicely.
So I don't see much of an issue, apart from the mounting points not being enough.

Back