diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar Quality and Warranty Woes

Is that regarding the pulsing/flickering you described here?

Yes.IMG_8317.jpeg

Last edited:
On the contrary -- with any other company this would be a simple over the phone repair or a RMA -- BUT I am going to bet -- that although this sequel starts off slow -- it will end in a huge gunfight ... NOW don't get me wrong -- I am 100% with you on that he voided the warranty by taking off the front panel and probing around -- thats TOTALLY on him -- and maybe in fact while he was probing he somehow unscrewed 4 of the 5 bonding screws without remembering he did that -- BUT what will make this interesting is how SS will get 4 different owners/techs to all jump in and give him 12 different things to do and then #300 of us will jump in and say things that have nothing to do with anything -- and then at the end you guys will say that He voided the Warranty and for $XXX he can ship it back himself and get it repaired (which again - technically - is probably the right thing at this stage) -- and then he will get upset and contact his CC company and dispute it -- and then the movie credit begin to roll ...

What kills you guys -- is NOT having a single POC to handle these sorts of issues .... one person that will take ownership of the problem from beginning to end - and not pass it off to others over and over ...

if you call Midnite Solar - you have one guy that handles your issues -- beginning to end -- he may pass you to different techs -- BUT he remains your POC and he is the one that will stick with you during the RMA or the repair process ... same with Renogy ... and even EPSOLAR ... but with SS (and i do believe that all of you there are trying to do the best for this guy) but you guys will wind up giving him contradictory instructions and then blaming him for something (of course - again - he DID void the warranty) .... BUT THATS WHAT YOU GUYS ARE KNOWN FOR - excellent products but poor customer service ... or at least this is my own personal opinion ...

How did he void the warranty ? Do some of you just glaze over a post and have no idea what you just read? They did tell him to open it up.. I guess I will agree with you that SS seems downright scary to buy from for a new person to solar.. Like I am

Anyway,
Do the SS techs get a 10 minute crash course on basic problems before they are allowed to take a call? Does not really seem like it. If I was a tech there "yep I could probably get the job" You smell some smoke and popping noises after a year of running fine? Yes. Okay gonna email you an rma. I will have one ready to ship tomorrow.

Last edited:
How did he void the warranty ? Do some of you just glaze over a post and have no idea what you just read? They did tell him to open it up.. I guess I will agree with you that SS seems downright scary to buy from for a new person to solar..

Anyway,
Do the SS techs get a 10 minute crash course on basic problems before they are allowed to take a call? Does not really seem like it.
I was reading one support story and the 1st level guy was ready to do an RMA, but then it went to a higher tier or manager and that's when all the troubleshooting/warranty denial nonsense began. So I wouldn't lay the responsibility for this at the feet of the tier 1 techs. Management issue.

I don't think a company should ever require a regular customer to open something with as much capacity for electrical mayhem inside of it as a large inverter. If they can't figure it out on the phone without opening it up, they need to just bite the bullet and RMA it.

They certainly can't claim a customer voids the warranty by opening it up themselves on their own prerogative, but claim that same customer can do so with "phone support" guidance. Give me a break.

Last edited:
I don’t have the time for troubleshooting these junk 6500ex’s for Travis, Brent and Colt. These units should have never left the factory and shipped without thorough testing by the factory and Signature Solar. I should’ve known when I pulled up the last year of firmware updates that I was going to be in trouble. I trusted Will Prouse’s review in Aug 2022 and wanted try “cheaper” equipment to see how it compared to my home SolArk12K’s. Well, I got what I paid for. Now, I have $2500 in two 120A SCC…because that is all they are good for. I’m removing them and replacing with Schneider XW Pro from AltE. Good luck if you purchase anything from Signature Solar.

Edit: Sorry for my rant above. I’m powering a business/shop with a lot of work going on. Signature Solar provided great customer service, tech support and we arrived at a fair resolution today. I highly recommend them now and what a stress relief! Thank you!

Last edited:
One of the problems I have found with tech support is the people manning the phones must not have a guided menu to work on solution. Then, the person on the phone asks a supervisor and the supervisor is clueless. In this recent post, the solution was finally present by Markus and was the answer I was looking for. Meanwhile, I'm still getting emails from tech support wanting photos for AC input and output connections on a charge controller.

There is work to be done there and yes, the point of contact should remain the same thru the process. Developing a guided menu for common problems for a particular model would help drill down the questions and provide a smooth process. The manufacturer should have provided some of this as part of the contract.

Edit: Forgot the link to the recent post https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...-mppt100-48hv-sets-code-f01.68669/post-882724

Last edited:
I don’t have the time for troubleshooting these junk 6500ex’s for Travis, Brent and Colt. These units should have never left the factory and shipped without thorough testing by the factory and Signature Solar. I should’ve known when I pulled up the last year of firmware updates that I was going to be in trouble. I trusted Will Prouse’s review in Aug 2022 and wanted try “cheaper” equipment to see how it compared to my home SolArk12K’s. Well, I got what I paid for. Now, I have $2500 in two 120A SCC…because that is all they are good for. I’m removing them and replacing with Schneider XW Pro from AltE. Good luck if you purchase anything from Signature Solar.

Edit: Sorry for my rant above. I’m powering a business/shop with a lot of work going on. Signature Solar provided great customer service, tech support and we arrived at a fair resolution today. I highly recommend them now and what a stress relief! Thank you!
Refund or credit on a 18Kpv purchase?

Yeah, this is why I can't just come out and buy any SignatureSolar stuff for a while. I would have to eat way too much crow.

Yeah, this is why I can't just come out and buy any SignatureSolar stuff for a while. I would have to eat way too much crow.IMG_8345.jpeg
Guess what we’re having for dinner? Fried with free power. Not quite free. Yum.

So what’s the fix? Maybe it’ll be applicable for other people as well with the same problems.

Looks more like a "switch all your existing negative posts from "horrible experience never again" to "would highly recommend".
I only meant an NDA about the amount received.. or that he received anything at all. He is clearly very happy with them now.

I only meant an NDA about the amount received.. or that he received anything at all. He is clearly very happy with them now.
I'm totally speculating that he got his full $2500 back and they sent shipping labels to get the two AIOs back. Which is pretty good if he bought them over 13 months ago.

I'm totally speculating that he got his full $2500 back and they sent shipping labels to get the two AIOs back. Which is pretty good if he bought them over 13 months ago.
They probably didn't ask for them back, merely that he never acknowledge their existence again and that they now have no warranty.

I'm such a jerk, I wouldn't even be happy with a full refund. He wasted how much time on them? How much has that money lost to inflation / not being in an investment vehicle during this time? :ROFLMAO:

We worked out what was fair for us both. You will have to do the same. I am buying Schneider equipment for my shop.

We worked out what was fair for us both. You will have to do the same. I am buying Schneider equipment for my shop.
I think you will be very satisfied with your Schneider inverter. I have run mine for over 3 years now and couldn't be much happier.

When you need something that just works and works, the Schneider xw series inverters are tough to beat.

Back