diy solar

diy solar

single 400 watt panel on rv? (help)

backyardshane

does anyone have any experience with 400 watt panels on an rv? im wondering if the unsupported span of the glass can handle bouncing down the road because of the large surface area.

Last edited:
I have met people that lost larger 300 watt solar panels because of windgust while driving.. glass got sucked out of the frame . Some people have put deflectors up to prevent wind getting under the panels.... That of course is not great for cooling.. personally I would not go larger then 250 watt.
Good luck
Johan

I have 3 330W panels on my trailer. So far my trailer has about 6.5k miles on it, including a few trips down some washboard dirt roads. So far my panels still look new. I was also very worried about large panels bouncing and vibrating while driving. To help, I have my panels mounted using the 4 main bolted mounting holes plus 3 additional solar panel clamps on each long side of each panel. One in the center and one near each end.

Some people have put deflectors up to prevent wind getting under the panels.... That of course is not great for cooling.
As long as the panel is an inch or more above the roof surface, having a deflector along one side of the panel should only have a minor impact on cooling. I think the safety improvement of the deflector far outweighs its (minor) impact on cooling.

I have two Mission Solar 320 watt panels on top of my RV trailer. I used six mounting brackets instead of the typical four and every bracket is anchored in a roof truss. I chose the Mission Solar panels specifically because A) they fit, B) I could get them local and C) they have a very high wind rating. I do a lot of camping in the Rocky Mountains and drive through Wyoming at least once a year. The winds in this area can be brutal.

I have no issues with my panels.

I have 3 330W panels on my trailer. So far my trailer has about 6.5k miles on it, including a few trips down some washboard dirt roads. So far my panels still look new. I was also very worried about large panels bouncing and vibrating while driving. To help, I have my panels mounted using the 4 main bolted mounting holes plus 3 additional solar panel clamps on each long side of each panel. One in the center and one near each end.

As long as the panel is an inch or more above the roof surface, having a deflector along one side of the panel should only have a minor impact on cooling. I think the safety improvement of the deflector far outweighs its (minor) impact on cooling.

i just noticed that we have the same (or really close) trailers. thanks for the info. i will quit worrying about the glass breaking on my panels.

I have met people that lost larger 300 watt solar panels because of windgust while driving.. glass got sucked out of the frame . Some people have put deflectors up to prevent wind getting under the panels.... That of course is not great for cooling.. personally I would not go larger then 250 watt.
Good luck
Johan
That's some real Chinese junk then. All the panels I've ever seen were certified up to 140mph wind. If your going that fast in your RV your pannels are going to be the least of your problems.

Back