diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark, EG4 Communications Hub/LifePower4 - Solar Assistant configuration

With regards to the PowerPro, you're going to be in uncharted territory. I'm not aware of who makes the BMS in that unit and it's not currently listed in the supported batteries for Solar Assistant.

EG4 just put out a new video and the configuration process seems to be the same as for the LL V2's... and you're right it will definitely be uncharted territory so I'll let you know when I know. Probably do a video on the results no matter if its positive or negative.

A couple points of clarification for consideration.

1. Solar Assistant (SA) can only communicate with one source at a time for battery information. If I want to view the data from the Victron shunt, I have to stop the connection in SA, and switch the USB input selection to the port the Victron is connected to. Afterward, if I want to flip back to direct communication with the EG4 batteries, I have to repeat the same steps forgoing active communication with the Victron. Basically, it's one or the other, multiple simultaneous battery measurement sources cannot be monitored at the same time (maybe SA will add this in the future, but I have no awareness of whether it could be included in their upcoming development plans).

2. If you want to see the individual battery data in SA, you can only do this by directly getting the data from each battery. SA cannot parse the aggregate battery data communicated to either the ComHub or the Inverter into individual battery data.
The reason I have the shunt is for validation, if I ever feel like the data from the batteries could be wrong, the shunt is my single source of truth that accurately measures the entire volume of energy in or out of the batteries. I keep it connected to SA so that in a remote situation I can toggle settings in HA and view it remotely, otherwise, if I'm onsite, I use the Victron app with Bluetooth to look at the shunt. Yes, I could purchase a CerboGX and make the shunt data always local and remotely accessible, but I don't need the data bad enough to justify purchasing another $300+ dollar device for this purpose.

If you decide it's a must-have to simultaneously see the individual battery data from all your different types of batteries, "assuming they're supported by SA", then you'll need multiple Pis with SA for each battery type/protocol. If you went down this road, you would have to toggle back and forth between different SA instances. The only way to combine that data into a single location would then be to feed that data from your multiple SA instances using MQTT to Home Assistant and build a dashboard.

Hopefully, that helps, if you want to soundboard your ideas or share your plans I'm always willing to find a quick time for a phone call, private message me if interested.

Cheers!
I have my two 15k's talking to solar assistant and I know how to change the setting to view them both. I also have the smart shunt connected to the pi but I can't figure out the setting to view it remotely.... what setting do you use when you switch to the victron smart shunt? Thanks in advance

I have my two 15k's talking to solar assistant and I know how to change the setting to view them both. I also have the smart shunt connected to the pi but I can't figure out the setting to view it remotely.... what setting do you use when you switch to the victron smart shunt? Thanks in advance

In the battery settings of Solar Assistant “SA” choose the Victron option. This will tell SA to track SOC, voltage, current etc from the Victron Shunt. You don’t see the actual Victron interface, you simply see the values from the shunt.

Attachments

• IMG_4100.png
    IMG_4100.png
    310.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4102.png
    IMG_4102.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4101.png
    IMG_4101.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 4
A couple points of clarification for consideration.

1. Solar Assistant (SA) can only communicate with one source at a time for battery information. If I want to view the data from the Victron shunt, I have to stop the connection in SA, and switch the USB input selection to the port the Victron is connected to. Afterward, if I want to flip back to direct communication with the EG4 batteries, I have to repeat the same steps forgoing active communication with the Victron. Basically, it's one or the other, multiple simultaneous battery measurement sources cannot be monitored at the same time (maybe SA will add this in the future, but I have no awareness of whether it could be included in their upcoming development plans).

2. If you want to see the individual battery data in SA, you can only do this by directly getting the data from each battery. SA cannot parse the aggregate battery data communicated to either the ComHub or the Inverter into individual battery data.
Let me see if I have this right.

PREMISE_1:
For SA to "read" Inverter information, it requires a data connection at/near the Inverter comm port.

PREMISE_2:
For SA to "read" Battery information, it requires a data connection at/near the string of batteries, ideally at one "end" of the string.

OBSERVATION:
Some combinations of Inverters and Batteries require an intermediate "Communication Hub" for the former to read and direct the latter.
SUB-PREMISE_1 Not all information available either destination survives the transit through the hub.

QUERY_1
Is there any difference in the information available at the proximal and distal ends of the string of Batteries? If so, what are those differences?

QUERY_2:
If not, wouldn't a splitter placed at the proximal end of the Battery string (i.e., between the Batteries and the Hub/Inverter) achieve the same data result as having the data connection at the distal end of the string (at Battery #7 in your set-up)?

RELATED QUERY:
If no Hub was required between the Inverter and Battery string, would the single splitter adjacent to the Inverter be able to read all the Inverter information AND all the Battery information? If not, why not?

Separately, what is the difference to SA from reading Inverter data and the Battery string data (presumably at once) and being able to read the Shunt data? (Wherein your example, it would read, presumably Inverter data and Shunt data at once). Is there something categorically different in the data, as processed by the Pi, that makes "Inverter/Battery" or "Inverter/Shunt" work, but not "Battery/Shunt" or "Inverter/Battery/Shunt"?

I don't yet own any of the aforementioned equipment, but have been researching for awhile now. I have started collecting the software components to mock-up various configurations in an emulation environment, so I want to learn as much as I can about the physical constraints and practical limitations on linking various components together before I spent a ton of money buying hardware/equipment (that may not behave as nicely as a software emulation).

Sorry for the length of this post, but inquiring minds want to know.
MDS

OBSERVATION:
Some combinations of Inverters and Batteries require an intermediate "Communication Hub" for the former to read and direct the latter.
SUB-PREMISE_1 Not all information available either destination survives the transit through the hub.
The HUB is only needed because the batteries cannot send their data directly to the inverter, it has no purpose with SA.

QUERY_1
Is there any difference in the information available at the proximal and distal ends of the string of Batteries? If so, what are those differences?
No difference, the information flows between each connected battery using the network cable much like a network hub, rebroadcasting the information.

QUERY_2:
If not, wouldn't a splitter placed at the proximal end of the Battery string (i.e., between the Batteries and the Hub/Inverter) achieve the same data result as having the data connection at the distal end of the string (at Battery #7 in your set-up)?
The splitter is used on the "Inverter" so that both SA and the CommHub can talk to the Inverter, not so you can split the battery communication in multiple ways. Both SA and the CommHub are speaking RS435 to the batteries, the CommHum is relaying that data via CANBUS to the Inverter using a separate set of wires/pins. Basically the port on the Sol-Ark, the RJ45 port has certain sets of pins that do different things.

RELATED QUERY:
If no Hub was required between the Inverter and Battery string, would the single splitter adjacent to the Inverter be able to read all the Inverter information AND all the Battery information? If not, why not?
No hub is required when using for example the EG4_LL batteries, they can speak natively to the Sol-Ark inverter. The HUB translates RS435 to CANBUS because the Lifepower batteries do not have this ability in their BMS. The HUB has no purpose for SA, it's just there to tell the inverter what's happening with the batteries. The splitter is there so the single port on the inverter can be used to receive data from the inverter for SA and so that the HUB can send data to the inverter, for whatever design reason this occurs over a single RJ45 port.

Separately, what is the difference to SA from reading Inverter data and the Battery string data (presumably at once) and being able to read the Shunt data? (Wherein your example, it would read, presumably Inverter data and Shunt data at once). Is there something categorically different in the data, as processed by the Pi, that makes "Inverter/Battery" or "Inverter/Shunt" work, but not "Battery/Shunt" or "Inverter/Battery/Shunt"?
I should have never mentioned the shunt, it confuses everyone. I don't "actively" use the shunt, I have it so connected to SA so that I "could" make it the source for battery data and see that in SA, which SA is remotely accessible. The shunt is only Bluetooth and its data cannot be read remotely without some sort of host, AKA SA or a Victron Cerbo-type device. The shunt is my validation component, if I ever feel like the data I'm getting from the batteries after a botched firmware update, or something else is odd, I can use the shunt to validate it, and why not have it connected to SA, so that I can see it from my phone/tablet/computer wherever SA is available remotely instead of only while I'm standing near it over it's limited Bluetooth range.

The HUB is only needed because the batteries cannot send their data directly to the inverter, it has no purpose with SA.

No difference, the information flows between each connected battery using the network cable much like a network hub, rebroadcasting the information.

The splitter is used on the "Inverter" so that both SA and the CommHub can talk to the Inverter, not so you can split the battery communication in multiple ways. Both SA and the CommHub are speaking RS435 to the batteries, the CommHum is relaying that data via CANBUS to the Inverter using a separate set of wires/pins. Basically the port on the Sol-Ark, the RJ45 port has certain sets of pins that do different things.

No hub is required when using for example the EG4_LL batteries, they can speak natively to the Sol-Ark inverter. The HUB translates RS435 to CANBUS because the Lifepower batteries do not have this ability in their BMS. The HUB has no purpose for SA, it's just there to tell the inverter what's happening with the batteries. The splitter is there so the single port on the inverter can be used to receive data from the inverter for SA and so that the HUB can send data to the inverter, for whatever design reason this occurs over a single RJ45 port.

I should have never mentioned the shunt, it confuses everyone. I don't "actively" use the shunt, I have it so connected to SA so that I "could" make it the source for battery data and see that in SA, which SA is remotely accessible. The shunt is only Bluetooth and its data cannot be read remotely without some sort of host, AKA SA or a Victron Cerbo-type device. The shunt is my validation component, if I ever feel like the data I'm getting from the batteries after a botched firmware update, or something else is odd, I can use the shunt to validate it, and why not have it connected to SA, so that I can see it from my phone/tablet/computer wherever SA is available remotely instead of only while I'm standing near it over it's limited Bluetooth range.
So, to boil it down, the "categorical difference" is the comm protocol; RS435 for the batteries, and CANBUS for the inverter. And, SA can only process one protocol on a USB port at a time, hence needing two ports. Makes sense. Thank you.

As for the "Shunt" question, it has less to do with the fact that it is a shunt, and more to do with SA only receiving one channel of "Battery" data at a time (a [current] software limitation). It could just as well be the "different types of batteries" issue. Again only one at a time in SA. The solution, of course (as you noted above) is to deploy multiple SAs, and pass that data to HA (or equivalent) for reporting, aggregation, or "automation." Again, thank you for your clarifications. It is very helpful.

Now, where's my next rabbit hole?!?.... :->
MDS

I have 5 LL v'2 and I'm regretting it more and more every day. The screens wake up ridiculously slow. I guess the extra warranty will be nice. I will mess around with them this weekend when I get back over to the property but I think I already know the answer. If I have battery 1 speaking directly to the solark 15K on CAN, will battery 1 show up on the SA? I'm waiting on SS to send me a second cable. I figured each battery came with one but no such luck.

I have 5 LL v'2 and I'm regretting it more and more every day. The screens wake up ridiculously slow. I guess the extra warranty will be nice. I will mess around with them this weekend when I get back over to the property but I think I already know the answer. If I have battery 1 speaking directly to the solark 15K on CAN, will battery 1 show up on the SA? I'm waiting on SS to send me a second cable. I figured each battery came with one but no such luck.
The LL batteries supposedly have a native ability to talk to a Sol-Ark individually. So as long as each battery is daisy chained to the next and one battery is ultimately connected on the right port to the Sol-Ark, and the batteries are using the correct inverter COMM mode, then the Sol-Ark should see all the batteries individually.

Last edited:
The LL batteries supposedly have a native ability to talk to a Sol-Ark individually. So as long as each battery is daisy chained to the next and one battery is ultimately connected on the right port to the Sol-Ark, and the batteries are using the correct inverter COMM mode, then the Sol-Ark should see all the batteries individually.
message sent. please check.

I am trying to get comms established Between my eg4ll v1 and v2 batteries with the solar assistant. I have a few emails into solar assistant but have not gotten a response from them. I have tried multiple cables, i have tried multiple addresses, i have tried single batteries and string of batteries. They connect just fine to my so-ark without issue, however i DO NOT WANT closed loop with my inverter. I only want to monitor my Batts through sa. Has anyone had success actually getting sa to communicate with the eg4ll series of batteries?

Last edited:
Your direct connection to your batteries (not the hub connecting to the splitter) from the Pi.... what are the settings you're using in SA to see the battery data? CAN Protocol in the battery tab?

USB Naranda RS485

Then the USB port and that’s it.
Thanks I hope those settings work for my LL batteries. Since the last time I communicated with you on this topic my situation has progressed. I now have my two 15Ks connected to 3 Power Pro’s and my 6 LL V2’s after I updated the firmware for the LL V2’s so that they can communicate with the PP batteries and not void warranty according to EG4 head of R&D.

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpeg
    IMG_0624.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 7
Props to the OP on figuring this out. They added this to the manual, but using hubs. I have almost the exact same setup, but unfortunately I have 18 batteries and not enough unique dip switch combos for this to quite work. I had to separate my battery banks and use the same dip switches between the banks. I have 12 batteries on one bat input on the hub and 6 on another bat input on the hub. I'm hoping eg4 will have a way to output individual pack socs from the comm hub and I can feed that into the SA in the future. I've emailed them and will see what they say.

Take care,

Dale

This is the same config I use with my sunsynk and seplos mason's.
Works extremely well, and will allow extra automation too in combination with home assistant ( water heater on/off , pumps on/off) based on incoming solar and SOC for instance..
Possibilities are almost endless
Hi, can i ask you to elaborate on your setup? i have 2 x 8kw sunsynks 3 15kwh seplos's bats. Ive set up a trial of Solar assistant and Home assistant. i wanted to get as much battery information as i can into HA/SA without compromising the information given to the inverters. At the moment the batt info is pulled to the inverters via CAN.
SA told me that its not possible to do what i would like to do.

you'll be fine pulling the info from every battery, with the exception of the master battery..
Once you set that as a CANBUS master, it wont respond to RS485 request anymore..
For my setup this isnt an issue, as i have a pretty big stack...

simulation your setup , you would see something like this in SA :

1713432426667.png

in turn , that info is relayed by SA to HA where you can use it as you choose

Back