diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark, EG4 Communications Hub/LifePower4 - Solar Assistant configuration

You video states that you can see all twelve batteries when you connect the PI to battery 7.... how do they show up in SA? As 12 packs with totals for each pack? That's my understanding from other videos I've seen on SA. If that is true then I'm good. That's all I'm hoping for. And thank you for your time and consideration. Time is the most precious commodity in life. I have attached diagram of my battery setup minus what I'm planning to add with PI & SA. Any advice is appreciated. Also, Sol-Ark has approved my diagram.

Each battery is displayed with it's individual data, and Solar Assistant also does an aggregate calculation shown at the top of the page in the green box.

For some reason my scrolling capture is missing the middle part of the image, but you get the point, in my live page there are all 12 batteries listed.

1695834994904.png

The splitter at the Sol-Ark is used so the EG4 CommHub can send aggregate battery information to the Sol-Ark (Closed Loop) and the other side of the splitter is used for Solar Assistant to pull/push settings/readings to and from the Sol-Ark.
Yeah I understand what you mean. I don't understand the post I quoted though from you. You didn't say you had the EG4 hub connected to the inverter, you said you had the cable connected to battery #7, didn't mention the hub at all. So you have the other Ethernet in the splitter connected directly to the battery, or the hub? And then the other port of the splitter connected to solar assistant?

I also have the sol-ark inverter and EG4 batteries, solar assistant and a splitter. I have my solar assistant connected to one port and my EG4 hub in other port of the splitter. I can only see my batteries as one big battery. How are you seeing individual battery stats in solar assistant?

Definitely appreciate the offer for a quick phone conversation... I may take you up on that but I think I'm almost there. I understand that I would have to disconnect and re-connect to each USB connected source of information in the software, not a problem, I'm a nerd from way back. And I also plan to use the smart shunt for the same reasons you are.... You video states that you can see all twelve batteries when you connect the PI to battery 7.... how do they show up in SA? As 12 packs with totals for each pack? That's my understanding from other videos I've seen on SA. If that is true then I'm good. That's all I'm hoping for. And thank you for your time and consideration. Time is the most precious commodity in life. I have attached diagram of my battery setup minus what I'm planning to add with PI & SA. Any advice is appreciated. Also, Sol-Ark has approved my diagram.
It looks like a relatively complex system. It looks like your 200 amp Nadar breakers are really being used as disconnect switches so you don't have both sets of batteries connected at the same time. Only comment might be that it's my understanding the Sol-Ark 15K (each) unit can pull/push 275 amps maximum. With a 200amp T-fuse you could blow that pretty easily should both inverters kick in and pull more than 200 amps.

In my opinion, I always use the biggest cable available, you have a bunch of 2/0 cable, and I would actually prefer for my taste 4/0.

This is the cable I use, pretty cheap and super heavy/flexible.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I don't understand the post I quoted though from you. You didn't say you had the EG4 hub connected to the inverter, you said you had the cable connected to battery #7, didn't mention the hub at all. So you have the other Ethernet in the splitter connected directly to the battery, or the hub? And then the other port of the splitter connected to solar assistant?

I also have the sol-ark inverter and EG4 batteries, solar assistant and a splitter. I have my solar assistant connected to one port and my EG4 hub in other port of the splitter. I can only see my batteries as one big battery. How are you seeing individual battery stats in solar assistant?

This might help to make it easier to understand where everything is connected.

1695856538880.png

Last edited:
This might help to make it easier to understand where everything is connected.

View attachment 169700
Ohhhh okay thanks!! Appreciate that. Having solar assistant plugged direct into the battery let's you see them all individual? That's pretty neat. I'll be changing the way my system is set up right away. What dip switch setting do you have on battery #7?

Ohhhh okay thanks!! Appreciate that. Having solar assistant plugged direct into the battery let's you see them all individual? That's pretty neat. I'll be changing the way my system is set up right away. What dip switch setting do you have on battery #7?

Batteries are 1-12 so battery 7 is using the dip switch settings (number 7) on page 9 of the LifePower4 48v battery manual.

It looks like a relatively complex system. It looks like your 200 amp Nadar breakers are really being used as disconnect switches so you don't have both sets of batteries connected at the same time. Only comment might be that it's my understanding the Sol-Ark 15K (each) unit can pull/push 275 amps maximum. With a 200amp T-fuse you could blow that pretty easily should both inverters kick in and pull more than 200 amps.

In my opinion, I always use the biggest cable available, you have a bunch of 2/0 cable, and I would actually prefer for my taste 4/0.

This is the cable I use, pretty cheap and super heavy/flexible.
My loads in my house will never reach 200amps even in a surge. I notices you posted a pic of you SA with battery info... didn't see the pack info like I've seen on SA videos see image. Heres a link to the video I got that screen shot from.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 2.14.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 2.14.23 PM.png
    276.9 KB · Views: 5
My loads in my house will never reach 200amps even in a surge. I notices you posted a pic of you SA with battery info... didn't see the pack info like I've seen on SA videos see image. Heres a link to the video I got that screen shot from.
What pack info are you expecting to see? This is all the information available to SA, at least with EG4 batteries.

1695842617987.png

Here's an interesting video with a way to see individual batteries without multi pi's

Battery to Solark is CAN bus ?
Battery to Pi is RS485 via RS485 to USB adapter ?
The batteries in my system do not communicate with the Sol-Ark, the batteries communicate with the CommHub and the Hub talks to the Sol-ark using CAN Bus.

The Pi to the batteries is what you mentioned, RS485 to USB. Or specifically this cable from Signature Solar.

Here is a picture that shows exactly which ports are connected where in the system

1695843195465.png

Last edited:
Here's an interesting video with a way to see individual batteries without multi pi's
I think you might have misunderstood what I said, you can see multiple batteries in a single-battery array.

What you can't do is see for example an SOK and a EG4 LL battery's details in SA at the same time. You have to choose one protocol or the other for different manufacturers/types.

When you choose your batteries to display in SA you have to make a single choice for the battery (type) from the list. So if you have multiple EG4 batteries all similar in the communication type, then you can see all of them together. But, if you have multiple batteries using multiple protocols for communication you cannot make more than one choice at a time from the list.

1695843480507.png

Last edited:
The batteries in my system do not communicate with the Sol-Ark, the batteries communicate with the CommHub and the Hub talks to the Sol-ark using CAN Bus.

The Pi to the batteries is what you mentioned, RS485 to USB. Or specifically this cable from Signature Solar.

Here is a picture that shows exactly which ports are connected where in the system
That comms hub is pretty cool then, nice.
Mine was a half question, half trying to help mr721 understand and make sure he did not miss the RS485 to USB conversion :)
I do wish SA could handle multiple battery types at the same time, but I was told it is a year out.
So I bought another JBD and now have a spare JK !!!

I think you might have misunderstood what I said, you can see multiple batteries in a single-battery array.

What you can't do is see for example an SOK and a EG4 LL battery's details in SA at the same time. You have to choose one protocol or the other for different manufacturers/types.

When you choose your batteries to display in SA you have to make a single choice for the battery (type) from the list. So if you have multiple EG4 batteries all similar in the communication type, then you can see all of them together. But, if you have multiple batteries using multiple protocols for communication you cannot make more than one choice at a time from the list.

View attachment 169716
Copy that I'm crystal clear now. I can't wait to do an experiment to see if a rack of 6 EG4 LL V2 batteries can daisy chain communications with 3 of the new EG4 Power Pro wall batteries. I already know that I can't have them connected in parallel with my 15k's without voiding the warranty (different AH, even though it would function without a closed loop communication) EG4 and the techs as Solar Sovereign made that clear. But I could see if I could connect them to SA and monitor them all that way even though I will only by using one group of batteries at a time. My wife says I'm like a mad scientist with all this solar gear.

View attachment 169713
The cable you linked from Signature Solar is the same cable they send with EG4 batteries for communication with your laptop correct?

Copy that I'm crystal clear now. I can't wait to do an experiment to see if a rack of 6 EG4 LL V2 batteries can daisy chain communications with 3 of the new EG4 Power Pro wall batteries. I already know that I can't have them connected in parallel with my 15k's without voiding the warranty (different AH, even though it would function without a closed loop communication) EG4 and the techs as Solar Sovereign made that clear. But I could see if I could connect them to SA and monitor them all that way even though I will only by using one group of batteries at a time. My wife says I'm like a mad scientist with all this solar gear.
With regards to the PowerPro, you're going to be in uncharted territory. I'm not aware of who makes the BMS in that unit and it's not currently listed in the supported batteries for Solar Assistant.

The cable you linked from Signature Solar is the same cable they send with EG4 batteries for communication with your laptop correct?
Well, it is currently, it's my understanding the cable was different in the past, but yes if you bought your batteries recently from Signature Solar, say June 2023 or later I can confirm it's the same one. The picture of the cable on the website is out of date, the current cable doesn't have that green screw connector and instead is a nice molded plastic end.

I also called Signature Solar to confirm this a few days ago before I purchased two more, when they arrived they were the exact same as the ones that came with my batteries.

Last edited:
That comms hub is pretty cool then, nice.
Mine was a half question, half trying to help mr721 understand and make sure he did not miss the RS485 to USB conversion :)
I do wish SA could handle multiple battery types at the same time, but I was told it is a year out.
So I bought another JBD and now have a spare JK !!!
I may be a little slow but what abbreviation does JBD and JK stand for?

Back