diy solar

diy solar

"Solar Assistant" you say huh

Not sure what you point is. If you follow the directions I linked in my previous post, you will get an app style icon that will launch solar assistant. They could make an app that does it for you I suppose, but it would be the same.

Last edited:
On my iPhone I have it twice:

IMG_0193.jpeg

The one on the left is the remote access option, the one on the right is the local network access option. I guess I should rename them.

They are just bookmarked Safari webpages saved to the phone's home screen.

If I tap the icon it takes me into the SA webapp:

IMG_0194.jpeg

It's not an actual app that's found in the various app stores. It's what's referred to as a "web app". You go to that specific website in your mobile browser and then you create a bookmark on the home-screen of your device. It looks like an app, but it's just a bookmark.

I like Solar Assistant so much that I wouldn't buy anything in the future that wasn't compatible with it.
Much agreed. Solar Assistant has also been useful for me just using it with a Victron Shunt, & non compatible EPever. Then when budget allowed replaced the EPever with my Growatt units. Very cool Solar system monitoring.

Oddly enough, my Solar Assistant is down right now and I don't know why.
It's 850 miles away.
So, I'm using my backup monitoring.
I have one of my security cameras pointed at an AIO screen. lol

It's 850 miles away.
If I was to bet, it's the power supply that glitched. Second on the List would be that the SD card is failing.

It's 850 miles away.
I thought of doing that for real time monitoring on a Sol Ark but the screen goes dark after a few minutes. I know you can uncheck autodim but that voids your warranty! :) Why they don't have a way to get those same numbers on a phone screen at least on the local network I have no idea!

It's 850 miles away.
Weird. Mine is completely isolated from the interwebs, running off and old wifi router, and it stopped working for a couple hours in the past few hours as well.

If I was to bet, it's the power supply that glitched. Second on the List would be that the SD card is failing.
Actually I think something is loose on the Pi. Sometimes I have to smack it like an old TV set. lol

Weird. Mine is completely isolated from the interwebs, running off and old wifi router, and it stopped working for a couple hours in the past few hours as well.
Mine is net connected and (knock on wood) its still running fine right now. I just checked to make sure after your post :)

Apparently today was the day for glitches. Around noon ET, mine had a partial lock up. The pi was still running and the web portion of the site was still running, but it didn't show that any of my devices were connected. Once I rebooted, everything seemed to come back and work as it should.

1686103424965.png

I had a brief outage yesterday but that was because I had to power everything down to allow the cable guys to install a new access point (which the Solar Assistant Pi connects to - previously I had a cable running across the floor and out through a window).

The SA Pi didn't re-establish connection when plugged it back into via new AP but a quick reboot and it was back online.

I use the official RPi power supply for my unit and it is powered via a UPS which is in turn powered by the off-grid system.

I’m running the Pi off a converter connected to my batteries, it has never missed a beat.

to the OP, I at first thought the web based “app” was hokey but after using it I see the advantages. You’re not limited to an approved app from google or apple. You have the flexibility to assign an IP address if you want to.

I’m running the Pi off a converter connected to my batteries, it has never missed a beat.

to the OP, I at first thought the web based “app” was hokey but after using it I see the advantages. You’re not limited to an approved app from google or apple. You have the flexibility to assign an IP address if you want to.
Next step is Home Assistant. Piss on things that run on somebody else's server located God knows where and supported for God knows how long, and your data being sniffed by God knows who, while opening yourself up to malware and ransomeware. I don't mean getting crazy with Home Assistant like some do. KISS IMHO. Cameras (I use synology for this), a few lights, and a few useful IOT devices (alarm listeners for me).

Hi, I just installed Orange PI and registered the device but not able to see the data. Can somebody please help?

1714664590805.png

The Orange PI is connected with the Inverter (SungoldPower 8K hybrid) via USB A to USB B cable. I followed all the initial steps on the SolarAssistant website.

The Orange PI is connected with the Inverter (SungoldPower 8K hybrid) via USB A to USB B cable. I followed all the initial steps on the SolarAssistant website.
Does the configuration page show "connected"?

Back