diy solar

diy solar

Solar companies ripping off elderly

Same thing happened to 85 year old guy I know. I contacted the sales guy to get more info about exactly what system he sold because this elderly guy had no idea what system he just signed up for. I persuaded him to back out of the contract because it was exactly the same type of 25 year lease.

Thoughts?
It's not just the elderly, they will rip anyone off. Sad really.

When time share salespeople get together and tell scary stories about the boogeyman, they are talking about solar sales people.

Many (most?) solar companies are in the business of locking people into a impossible to break long term lease secured by a lien filed on thier home.

I'm seeing more questionable solar installations on homes with a lot of deferred maintenance (very run down). Predatory sales tactics to say the least.

I have had conversations with realtors, appraisers, bankers and mortgage closers. They all have shared with me it's very messy when it comes time to sell or finance a house with solar. If they had their choice they would have nothing to do with homes that are tied up with solar leases.

When I sold my house in Massachusetts the buyers couldn't care less about the solar system. I'm still getting emails with monthly production 10 years later and it's still working very well.
These so-called solar sales companies are not selling solar at all, they're just selling financing. Solar happens to be the vehicle in this instance.

When I sold my house in Massachusetts the buyers couldn't care less about the solar system. I'm still getting emails with monthly production 10 years later and it's still working very well.
These so-called solar sales companies are not selling solar at all, they're just selling financing. Solar happens to be the vehicle in this instance.
I've said the exact thing numerous times.

Funny story... A homebuilder friend build pulled out all the energy efficiency stops and built and all electric house for he and his family to live in for a few years and sell for a profit. Top of the line windows, ICF walls, a geothermal heat pump, stress panel roof, etc. It was a very nice house outside of town surrounded by woods and hills (about 1/2 mile from me)

The first fall after he sold it the new owner called him asking about where the propane tank was. They wanted to fill it up before winter started. All that work and the new owner could have cared less.

Last edited:
Back