diy solar

diy solar

Solar off grid cost

Jcluff

Hi there I’m brand new to the world of solar have been around it a bit but elementary level understanding. If I could start by asking a not so simple question like what would a good system cost to entirely run a home normally off the grid minus the heating. I realize that is a hard one I’m just trying to see which direction to even start looking as I venture towards off grid life in the next while.

Complete DIY with frugal shopping and a cheap Chinese inverter. 10-15k (not demeaning the inverter or Chinese, there’s simply tiers to these)
Complete DIY with inspectable items probably 20-30k
Turn key contracted probably (a complete guess here) 50-70k

Complete DIY with frugal shopping and a cheap Chinese inverter. 10-15k (not demeaning the inverter or Chinese, there’s simply tiers to these)
Complete DIY with inspectable items probably 20-30k
Turn key contracted probably (a complete guess here) 50-70k
How long would batteries and such last taken care of

Well, if the requirements are "cost to entirely run a home normally off the grid minus the heating."

The engineering approach would be to better define terms as well as the requirements.

Q1: What is the estimated total daily electrical loads?
This varies by square footage, insulation and weatherproofing, glass surfaces (single/double/triple paned windows), and regional climate demands which could effect lighting needs. You removed the heating burden - but what about cooling; Tucson is monstrously hot compared to Seattle. There are some basic excel worksheets on the interwebs which one could use to begin modelling their loads and seasons.

Q2: How do you interpret good system?
There are at least three tiers of technology vendors; cheap chinesium (IMHO LiTime, Renogy), better chinesium (EG4), and top line (likely includes vendors such as Victron, Schneider, Midnight, Outback). The top tier does cost 2-4 times the cheaper stuff, but one should expect a 10-15 year lifespan from these. Cheaper stuff maybe 3-10 year with luck. Here aspects of ruggedness, reliability and longevity come into play and are serious considerations.

Q3: What is the available solar energy for the site/location?
Answering this would need to adjust for latitude and longitude, local terrain (slopes facing south are obviously more-better in northern hemisphere), local trees and other structures causing shading (larger hills to the east or west may shorten the available hours). There are charts available on the interwebs which help to establish approximate solar hours based on the property's latitude/longitude. These can help determine how many hours the system could potentially capture solar energy. Here potentially will not take into account local weather patterns such as cloud cover or reflective snow.

Q4: Would this be a DIY solution with hands-on and a technical/mechanical home owner, or write the check and be done with it?
Goose gave starting ballpark figures, though I would recommend doubling the cost of a turn-key system (~$100-200k).

For battery banks, lead acid last about 3-5 (maybe 7+ with luck) years with good maintenance, AGM about the same but require less maintenance,

LiFePo about 10-20 years if not abused (cited as 6,000 to 8,000 cycles, with one cycle roughly meaning a day of charge / discharge).

Note: Lead-acid and AGM typically recommend only a 50% draw down. If you continue drawing energy below the 50% state of charge (SOC) you risk damaging the battery and shortening the lifespan.

LiFePo manufacturers recommend draw down to 20% SOC - so far more usable storage capacity.

NB: Many users work their LiFePo batteries much harder - charging to ~100% and drawing down to <10% ... results may support this as a better return on investment, but I've not seen a formally published longitudinal scientific study...

From a frugal tier 2 standpoint

Figure $150 / KWh as an absolute max for diy batteries with BMS and wiring included.
10KW AIO ~$1500
11KW of panels ~$2000 **
Add $2k-5k for panel mounting, fuses, disconnects, breakers, wires, tools, etc.

@G00SE is spot on.

Edit to add you could easily include heat if you use wood or coal...
** edit 2. Purchasing by the pallet, see posts below.

Last edited:
Well, if the requirements are "cost to entirely run a home normally off the grid minus the heating."

The engineering approach would be to better define terms as well as the requirements.

Q1: What is the estimated total daily electrical loads?
This varies by square footage, insulation and weatherproofing, glass surfaces (single/double/triple paned windows), and regional climate demands which could effect lighting needs. You removed the heating burden - but what about cooling; Tucson is monstrously hot compared to Seattle. There are some basic excel worksheets on the interwebs which one could use to begin modelling their loads and seasons.

Q2: How do you interpret good system?
There are at least three tiers of technology vendors; cheap chinesium (IMHO LiTime, Renogy), better chinesium (EG4), and top line (likely includes vendors such as Victron, Schneider, Midnight, Outback). The top tier does cost 2-4 times the cheaper stuff, but one should expect a 10-15 year lifespan from these. Cheaper stuff maybe 3-10 year with luck. Here aspects of ruggedness, reliability and longevity come into play and are serious considerations.

Q3: What is the available solar energy for the site/location?
Answering this would need to adjust for latitude and longitude, local terrain (slopes facing south are obviously more-better in northern hemisphere), local trees and other structures causing shading (larger hills to the east or west may shorten the available hours). There are charts available on the interwebs which help to establish approximate solar hours based on the property's latitude/longitude. These can help determine how many hours the system could potentially capture solar energy. Here potentially will not take into account local weather patterns such as cloud cover or reflective snow.

Q4: Would this be a DIY solution with hands-on and a technical/mechanical home owner, or write the check and be done with it?
Goose gave starting ballpark figures, though I would recommend doubling the cost of a turn-key system (~$100-200k).
Thanks so much I will do some homework and get some info together so I can more fully ask questions great info.

From a frugal tier 2 standpoint

Figure $150 / KWh as an absolute max for diy batteries with BMS and wiring included.
10KW AIO ~$1500
11KW of panels ~$2000
Add $2k-5k for panel mounting, fuses, disconnects, breakers, wires, tools, etc.

@G00SE is spot on.

Edit to add you could easily include heat if you use wood or coal...

Twenty cents a watt for panels?

Thanks so much I will do some homework and get some info together so I can more fully ask questions great info.

... and just so you know - see the resources tab here on the diysolarforum.
Lots of really good materials there and its free, thanks to Will and a bunch of solar nerds, LOL

This is what I threw together back then for my off-grid home:

The inverter was changed to a MUST later on, I added a Multiplus II for winter (low self consumption), increased the battery to 60kWh (100kWh this year) and added an additional 5kW or so in solar. All of it together still well under 20k Euro. I have a blog where I detail everything else like heating systems, etc.

cited as 6,000 to 8,000 cycles, with one cycle roughly meaning a day of charge / discharge

With a decent battery size (accounting for days of autonomy in off-grid situations) you won't even come close to a cycle per day.

NB: Many users work their LiFePo batteries much harder - charging to ~100% and drawing down to <10% ... results may support this as a better return on investment, but I've not seen a formally published longitudinal scientific study...

Cell cycle life is defined by the manufacturer from 100% SoC to 0% SoC, so the 6000 cycles or whatever in their datasheet are from 100% to 0%.

Hi there I’m brand new to the world of solar have been around it a bit but elementary level understanding. If I could start by asking a not so simple question like what would a good system cost to entirely run a home normally off the grid minus the heating. I realize that is a hard one I’m just trying to see which direction to even start looking as I venture towards off grid life in the next while.
Buy one of these first: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CJGPHL9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN3X9GX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I own both. In some ways I prefer the Eyedro.

Once you know what your usage will be, then you can research costs. If you are using 150Kwh/day, well it will get expensive. Using the energy monitors, you can determine if conservation should be the first step. Changing out appliances or other items that cut usage per day will not only save you money on energy costs but reduce the size of the system needed if you decide to enter the DIY solar addict group.

That price probably needs an "*" behind it. As in , plus shipping, if you purchase a pallet (or entire container), dealer overstock, while supplies last kind of thing. The markets are in flux at the moment.
That was actually including shipping to a commercial address. A few hundred dollars if it’s to residential.

That was actually including shipping to a commercial address. A few hundred dollars if it’s to residential.
👍last week they had some for .22 per watt with same shipping terms. Still a great deal of the specs work out.

That price probably needs an "*" behind it. As in , plus shipping, if you purchase a pallet (or entire container), dealer overstock, while supplies last kind of thing. The markets are in flux at the moment.
Edited, thanks.

Agreed, part of me thinks they will drop further but I already have 14 of them on a ground mount and they are producing, when it's sunny.

Edited, thanks.

Agreed, part of me thinks they will drop further but I already have 14 of them on a ground mount and they are producing, when it's sunny.
I hope so. Seems like a lot of it is driven by POCOs and regulators playing push pull. Cali makes a big share of the solar market and NEM3 took a lot of wind from the residential market sails. I found some for .17 per watt last week also. Buy a minimum of 460 panels.

Lot depends on how much power you need? Are you able to get by without the use of Air conditioning? Can you use evaporative cooling? Can you rely on propane or natural gas for heating, cooking, water heating, clothing dryer. If you can eliminate all the high-power devices that reduces the size of your solar system by a lot.

Back