diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel / which end is pos/neg?

Purchased EG4 6000XP, (split phase), (10) new 400W Canadian Solar panels and an EG4 100amp battery. LL-S. 6000XP takes 480v max, 4000 watts per mppt. Panels are 37.1 amps each, living in Missouri. So far, I have mounted my panels to the roof, and hung my inverter next to my main panel. Just getting started, and enjoying the learning process. I will proceed with cation.
Looking at the voltage for a Canadian solar 400 watt panel the voc is 47.2 on the one I found

If you run 10 in series your voltage will be 472 volt without temperature adjustment this is to high you will destroy your inverter, you need to find lowest temperatures for your area then set your panels up according to voc and temperature adjustment

Doing some quick calculations I would suggest 8s max

you can exceed watts but voltage is a hard limit

If the panels are 37.1A then that would mean about 10.8V. VoC would be higher but not a problem.

It's so confusing these days...

- the male connector is where the metal male plug is inside a plastic holder that looks like a female socket
- the female connector is where the metal female socket is inside a plastic holder that looks like a male plug

I think @Rider summed it up well here...

So, you have to think of it as being electrically straight and physically trans (am I allowed to say that?) :eek:

- the male connector is where the metal male plug is inside a plastic holder that looks like a female socket
- the female connector is where the metal female socket is inside a plastic holder that looks like a male plug

I think @Rider summed it up well here...

So, you have to think of it as being electrically straight and physically trans (am I allowed to say that?) :eek:
You are so right about this male and female being so confusing, just walk down the street in a major city?

the MALE MC4 connection is positive
Yes, I have made the mistake of crimping the wrong connector because the female silver connector that goes into that male plastic outer part resembles a female and the opposite silver connector resembles a male.

That can't possibly be legal in Florida any more... think of the children!

That aside, gender is always dictated by the electrical connection and not the housing.

That can't possibly be legal in Florida any more... think of the children!

That aside, gender is always dictated by the electrical connection and not the housing.
What about reverse polarity connectors? Frankly there is no rhyme or reason for most of this crap, genders bend on the whim whenever a new connector is created. It used to be M/F or Plug/Socket referred to the inner-most pins, then shrouded connectors started to have people swapping the genders. The "Male" shrouded connector has a "Female" inner-pin, and vice-versa with MC4. Meh. Don't get me started with SMA, RP-SMA, TNC, RP-TNC, N, and all the other fun RC cruft. Some shrouded connectors are M+M F+F, and double-shrouded connectors can flip flop three times.

Back