diy solar

diy solar

solid state battery

I saw video on that last year... I hope they sort it out soon.

4X energy density and no flamability... puncture safe etc...

Maxwell batteries (bought by Tesla last year) has pretty much established themselves as the Solid State Battery leader (that’s why Tesla bought them) and is developing a solid state battery / capacitor combination that will probably power the next generation of Tesla cars. Thus, this Solid State battery talk is already Old news in the land of the ‘rich and powerful - on the cutting edge’ like Tesla. ?

I have been watching the Solid State Battery news for a few years now and erik.calco is absolutely right, there have been an endless train of announcements about solid state battery 'breakthroughs' but production is always a few years away. A lot of the press on the breakthroughs doesn't tell the whole story. You see an announcement like "Scientists double the energy density" but when you dig deeper you find out that some other attribute like C rate or cycle-life is horrible. Keep in mind that a lot (most?) of the announcements come from start-ups that need to convince investors they are the next wildly successful tech company. Furthermore, the press these days is all about 'sensationalism'

The current prediction is that we will start seeing solid state in cars in 2025 and a ramp-up from there. However, all of the predictions are based on assumptions that there will be additional breakthroughs in the batteries and their production. (A lot of the lab 'breakthroughs' require processes that are impractical at a volume production level)

Right now, a few companies have started to build small production lines for prototype runs of Solid State batteries so they can build samples and test production techniques. However, as far as I know there are no full-scale production lines being built yet. (Let alone giga-factories). This alone means we are a few years away from seeing any large scale use of solid state batteries.

Meanwhile, traditional Lithium Ion with liquid electrolyte has the advantage of already being in volume production. Tweaking the process or chemistry to make it better and then getting it into production is relatively cheap. Consequently the cost and performance of liquid electrolyte cells keeps getting better. This in-turn means that it gets harder for a company to justify the cost and risk of doing any kind of ramp-up on solid electrolyte.

Having said all of that, I am excited about the possibilities of solid state batteries and hope they become 'real' sooner than later... I just don't see it trickling down to our level any time soon.

Maxwell batteries (bought by Tesla last year) has pretty much established themselves as the Solid State Battery leader (that’s why Tesla bought them) and is developing a solid state battery / capacitor combination that will probably power the next generation of Tesla cars. Thus, this Solid State battery talk is already Old news in the land of the ‘rich and powerful - on the cutting edge’ like Tesla. ?

Interesting, I was not aware Maxwell had any Solid State Battery tech. I thought their two big things were SuperCaps and a Solvent Free 'Dry Electrode' manufacturing process. Most of the press seems to think Maxwell was purchased for the manufacturing process. Here is one typical article:
https://insideevs.com/news/355547/tesla-maxwell-battery-details/

One thing is certain, Tesla has been unusually tight-lipped about what they are doing with Maxwell.

However, as you suggest, Tesla is almost certainly very aware of everything that is happening in the battery world. When Solid state battery tech is mature enough, I am confident Tesla will be all over it. Meanwhile, they have been one of the leaders in driving improvements in the traditional liquid electrolyte Lithium batteries....and these improvements keep raising the bar that solid state batteries must beat in order to be viable.

Back