diy solar

diy solar

Sourcing large 1/4" hole lugs

gibbygoodtunes

Hey diy'ers I am in Atlantic Canada and looking for 2/0 crimp lugs with 1/4" holes. Tried all my local car/tractor/marine part stores and none of em have that size lug with holes smaller than 5/16" and they cant order them that small either. Anyone know where I can find these?

Hey diy'ers I am in Atlantic Canada and looking for 2/0 crimp lugs with 1/4" holes. Tried all my local car/tractor/marine part stores and none of em have that size lug with holes smaller than 5/16" and they cant order them that small either. Anyone know where I can find these?
Try your local electrical supply.

Used them on my auxiliary inverter mounted in the back seat area of my truck. Nice heavy lug. Be sure to click the 12% off coupon.

I just bought a bunch on Amazon with #10 (same as 5mm) holes for my Seplos BMS and 1/4". Selterm with tin plating. Temco makes a nice AWG hydraulic crimper vs the odd ball sized junk made for mm.

I was going to suggest TEMCo Industrial, but they're out of stock too. It might be worth a call to their customer service line to see if they know when they'll be back in stock.

Alright the cheapest option looks like selterm from amazon.com but it is still going to cost me $21.28 to my door for 2 lugs... Would a piece of 1/4" x 3/4" 90degree aluminum off the battery terminal work? (Cables comming vertically off battery will help me save space) horizontal side has 6m hole for eve cell 6m terminal post and the vertical side has 5/16 hole for the smallest 2/0 lug I can source? My build is 24v with 2400w inverter with no extra dc loads. Thanks for all the responses

Alright the cheapest option looks like selterm from amazon.com but it is still going to cost me $21.28 to my door for 2 lugs... Would a piece of 1/4" x 3/4" 90degree aluminum off the battery terminal work? (Cables comming vertically off battery will help me save space) horizontal side has 6m hole for eve cell 6m terminal post and the vertical side has 5/16 hole for the smallest 2/0 lug I can source? My build is 24v with 2400w inverter with no extra dc loads. Thanks for all the responses

It's worth a try. With it in place, put a heavy load on the system and see if the 90° piece gets warm/hot.

2400watts
2400 ac watts / .85 conversion factor / 24 volts low cutoff = 117.647058824 service amps
117.647058824 service amps / .8 fuse headroom = 147.058823529 fault amps

Since you said "house" you could use thhn-2 or xhhw-2 with mechanical lugs.
By the book you could use 4 awg but I suggest you go bigger.
Building wire is usually a bit cheaper than welding cable.
I used Panduit LAMA2/0 14-20 mechanical lugs
Those fit 1/4"(6mm) studs and can accept wire up to 2/0.
I used them with xhhw-2 2 awg and my design capacity is 1500 ac watts at 24 volts nominal.
I stress tested at 1440 watts for ~6 hours and nothing on the critical path got hotter than ~28 celcius.

Building wire is much less flexible than welding cable so the bend radius for you wires should be considered.

2400 ac watts / .85 conversion factor / 24 volts low cutoff = 117.647058824 service amps
117.647058824 service amps / .8 fuse headroom = 147.058823529 fault amps

Since you said "house" you could use thhn-2 or xhhw-2 with mechanical lugs.
By the book you could use 4 awg but I suggest you go bigger.
Building wire is usually a bit cheaper than welding cable.
I used Panduit LAMA2/0 14-20 mechanical lugs
Those fit 1/4"(6mm) studs and can accept wire up to 2/0.
I used them with xhhw-2 2 awg and my design capacity is 1500 ac watts at 24 volts nominal.
I stress tested at 1440 watts for ~6 hours and nothing on the critical path got hotter than ~28 celcius.
Interesting.. thanks. I have some good 2/0 welding cable. I take it that is safe to use in the Panduit LAMA2/0 14-20 ? Or some other solid aluminum lug of that type?. That maybe something my local electrical supplier does have.

Interesting.. thanks. I have some good 2/0 welding cable. I take it that is safe to use in the Panduit LAMA2/0 14-20 ? Or some other solid aluminum lug of that type?. That maybe something my local electrical supplier does have.
For welding cable you should use a ferrule with the mechancial lug.
You can let the lug make the crimp though.
The problem is the welding cable + the ferrule may be too big to fit a 2/0 mechanical lug.

For welding cable you should probably use compression lugs.

Back