diy solar

diy solar

southern California flat panel performance in Winter

Aussieguy

anyone have data on how well panels perform in South Cali when on a roof of motorhome
what sort of performance should I expect from 1200w of panels on a curved RV roof during November?

You'll get about 4 hours of useable solar generation time during winter in Southern California. If you are laying your solar panels horizontal to the ground, expect less than 40% of your rated power.

You mention flat panel. All solar panels are flat. Do you mean flexible panels? I've had a few of those. They tend to die after a year or two for no apparent reason or any visible damage. They generally produce about 50% of what they are rated for. So if you have 1200w of flex panels, you'll probably get 600w out of them. Then 40% of that would be 240w.

flat = laying flat (or pretty close to flat)
no tilt
If it is a trailer and depending on the panel size and mounting you will most likely get some tilt. 5 degrees or so is a lot in Winter.
Last 5th wheel, I used the inherent tilt and even increased it a little by bracketery. Only downside, I had to point West all the time when parking, for best results.

Think of it like this:

In San Diego a panel would be directed South at a 27 degree angle for a fixed mount. In July/August/September, the angle is better if like 14 degrees. In June-September, facing South-Southwest is optimal over the other months. In the winter months of October through February, the panels do best facing South, but you can raise the tilt to about 36 degrees.

Since you have a mobile situation, you can adjust your tilt and direction accordingly. Just find the right places on slopes to park and you are home free!

anyone have data on how well panels perform in South Cali when on a roof of motorhome
what sort of performance should I expect from 1200w of panels on a curved RV roof during November?

Approximately ( 1200 watts ) x ( 50% ) x ( 6 hrs / day ) ~ 3600 watt-hrs / day

Assuming that you keep them clean.

It will vary down from this by 50% per day from this number, depending on if the rain and if we have fires going locally where you happen to be.

If you add some panels on one side that can face the late afternoon sun when parked - it will help a lot.

Back